weams

2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

Go!

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2019-mlb-winter-meetings-everything-you-need-to-know-going-into-the-busiest-week-of-baseballs-offseason/

Where: Hilton San Diego Bayfront
When: Sunday, Dec. 8 to Thursday, Dec. 12

Technically, the Winter Meetings are a minor-league event. MLB teams just tag along. Minor-league clubs get together network, seek potential employees, discuss industry trends, handle business matters, and attend seminars.

Here are the Winter Meetings main events:

• Modern Era Hall of Fame class announced: Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons, and Lou Whitaker are on the ballot this year.  
  • PBEO Job Fair: The Professional Baseball Employment Opportunities (PBEO) Job Fair is an opportunity for job seekers to meet with team representatives and even interview. Here's the agenda and registration info. The vast majority of available positions are entry level with minor league teams, but hey, it's a way to get your foot in the door.
  • Baseball Trade Show: The trade show is a blast. Vendors from around the country show off their products. There's everything from equipment to concessions to bobbleheads. Here's the trade show information and here is Matt Snyder's trip through the 2015 trade show.
  • Bob Frietas Business Seminar: Features guest speakers from both inside and outside baseball, plus informal workshops.
  • Awards gala: Includes the presentation of Bowie Kuhn Award, various Scout of the Year awards, and the Baseball America Organization of the Year award, among other things.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Elias mentioned some trade discussions in Roch's post this morning and Elias usually says things that come to pass. For example, he has mentioned having some tough non tender decisions (Villar) and that there was a lot of interest in Bundy.

Just now, interloper said:

Elias mentioned some trade discussions in Roch's post this morning and Elias usually says things that come to pass. For example, he mentioned having some tough non tender decisions (Villar) and that there was a lot of interest in Bundy.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/elias-enjoying-a-normal-winter-meetings-in-2019.html

Are you there Weams?

I'm wondering if the actions continues with the removal of Givens and Mancini

Also how many Rule 5 guys will the Orioles select? I'm going with 3

AJ's home town - will he be reunited with Manny and Kirb's?  Will he make a cameo at the meetings?    That's all I got.  Oh yeah, Rule 5 hopes and dreams!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, weams said:

“The type of rebuilding process that we’re going through right now, it’s not something that you want to do and we definitely don’t want to do this ever again,” he said.

“When I came into the organization and where we were starting from at the end of 2018, the major league team had kind of bottomed out with that awful season we had in 2018. A lot of players leaving the team via free agency or trades that summer. The farm system was just in OK shape. I think looking back it was probably in better shape than we all appreciated. Certainly the trades at the 2018 deadline had really helped, too. But most importantly, our infrastructure was, and is to some degree, lacking. With no international scouting function whatsoever, very minimal analytics department or analytics infrastructure that teams take for granted nowadays. Issues with our academy in the Dominican Republic.

“There’s just a lot to do around the organization and we need to retrench our talent pipeline from the ground up, have it so it can consistently produce talent that we’re going to need to compete in the American League East and really all around the league. And there’s really no other way to achieve that goal than by addressing those areas and using our resources to address those areas. And in a lot of cases it requires trading off the major league roster for younger talent and future talent, and that’s where we’re at right now.

“I think this is the quickest way to get back in contention, and we’re going to keep our eye on that.”

Elias to Roch

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you there Weams?

No. I should be but I am not. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you there Weams?

They won't select three.  Another team will pick at least one of them and trade them to the O's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, weams said:

Technically, the Winter Meetings are a minor-league event. MLB teams just tag along. Minor-league clubs get together network, seek potential employees, discuss industry trends, handle business matters, and attend seminars.

Is this when a decision on MiLB contraction will be discussed??

11 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Is this when a decision on MiLB contraction will be discussed??

It appears to be. Though I think it has been ongoing. I don't think a final decision is due.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“But most importantly, our infrastructure was, and is to some degree, lacking.”

Humbling.   

True my friend 

But Rome wasn’t built in a day