Sign in to follow this  
vatech1994

Maryland vs Penn State

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Congrats to Penn State. As much as i can't stand that school, I can respect dominance and that school just dominates the University of Maryland in sports. 

The Terps should have lost Sunday, and now they just got dominated by an unranked Penn State team, and people were complaining when they were dropped in the polls. 

They will lose to Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan state. 

They will end the year ranked in the teens or maybe 20s, get a 4th-6th seed, squeeze by their first round and then get knocked out in the second round.

Stix will leave and go directly to to the developmental league because he doesn't have offensive skills around the basket and not a good enough consistent shot to be a stretch forward at the next level.

Next year the Terps go back to being middling Big-10 team and they are hoping to make the tourney.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I've seen this kind of team before and I know Turgeon coaching. 

This scenario could certainly happen, but I think it’s a worse case scenario. I don’t think we are a top five team, but probably in the 10-15 range and I think we’ll be right there with OSU, MSU, and Michigan. 

There is too much talent and experience on the team not for them to put it together.  

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

10-1 team, Louisville about to lose to TTech, Duke lost to Stephen F Austin... but yep, Terps and Turgeon are awful.

Kentucky lost to like Marshall or somebody.  Calipari must blow.

Michigan State lost to VT at home but we all know how terrible Izzo is as a coach.  And of course Coach K at Duke is a total hack.

1 minute ago, vatech1994 said:

Michigan State lost to VT at home but we all know how terrible Izzo is as a coach.  And of course Coach K at Duke is a total hack.

Well I happen to think Coach K is a hack unironically, but that might be my  ACC-Terps bias kicking in 😅

Just now, ChuckS said:

This scenario could certainly happen, but I think it’s a worse case scenario. I don’t think we are a top five team, but probably in the 10-15 range and I think we’ll be right there with OSU, MSU, and Michigan. 

There is too much talent and experience on the team not for them to put it together.  

If Wiggins and Ayala can shoot just as well as they did last year from here on out, not even better, we have a shot at Elite 8 or Final 4.  If they continue to shoot a very low percentage, we will struggle to get through the sweet 16.  The Mitchell freshmen just aren’t ready for primetime on the offensive end at this point so we will need some shooting from the wings or they will just double Cowen and clog the lane on Stix.

Texas Tech is beating Louisville by 11 with 50 seconds left IN LOUISVILLE.  They must have an awful coach.  A #1 team losing to an unranked team at home.  Oh the horror....

1 minute ago, vatech1994 said:

If Wiggins and Ayala can shoot just as well as they did last year from here on out, not even better, we have a shot at Elite 8 or Final 4.  If they continue to shoot a very low percentage, we will struggle to get through the sweet 16.  The Mitchell freshmen just aren’t ready for primetime on the offensive end at this point so we will need some shooting from the wings or they will just double Cowen and clog the lane on Stix.

I thought Stix and Cowan's pick and rolls were really lazy/mistimed.  On multiple occasions, Stix rolled late, the inside pass was late, or Cowan's shot off the dribble was badly timed.  It was an issue all game.  Penn State being grabby and not getting called for reach-ins like ever may have had something to do with that, but they still have a lot of work to do in cleaning that up.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

It wasn't Turgeon or the refs that made 20 turnovers.

The first 10 minutes of the game were just ridiculous for turnovers for sure.  The Terps has 12 with 11 minutes left in the first half.  It was crazy.  That certainly wasn’t the refs fault (though there was some grabbing on a few of them).  They turned it over 8 times the last 30 minutes which is about right against a team like Penn St (they lead the Big Ten in turnovers created), but the first 10 minutes was ridiculous for sure.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It wasn't Turgeon or the refs that made 20 turnovers.

There were at least 3-4 turnovers I saw that were the direct result of no-calls, and another few that were questionable.  The other 12-13 turnovers are on the players.

Just now, Hallas said:

I thought Stix and Cowan's pick and rolls were really lazy/mistimed.  On multiple occasions, Stix rolled late, the inside pass was late, or Cowan's shot off the dribble was badly timed.  It was an issue all game.  Penn State being grabby and not getting called for reach-ins like ever may have had something to do with that, but they still have a lot of work to do in cleaning that up.

I totally agree with that.  My opinion is that Stix never plays at speed on the offensive end.  He always seems a little slow.  I think he worries about player control fouls which of course is a huge weakness.

I’m pissed about the loss, but we needed it IMHO.  You could see that some of the team acting a bit lackadaisical at times in the first half for a couple weeks.  They can’t just turn it on.  Hopefully this will end the first half nonsense. If not, we’ve got a bigger issue.

Turgeon has never beaten a major conference team in the tourney in his 22 year coaching career. He's a good recruiter but he just never maximizes that talent.

Main issues with this team are Stix inside and lack of consistent shooting. Don't see either of these changing much.

I only watched bits and pieces, but Maryland's offensive sets kill me sometimes.  Guys stand still much or dribble the air out of the ball.  I agree that Stix doesn't seem to want the ball that much.  I've mentioned his lack of a post game dozens of times so I won't go there (I guess I just did).  I don't think he has the best hands either.  I'd like to see him go up strong a dunk it over a dude like once.  As a senior, Cowan still makes some really bad mistakes.  There was sequence where he got double-teamed and picked up his dribble and threw it straight to the opposing defender.  Dribble out of that pressure dude and make a better pass.

Wiggins missed some easy ones tonight.  He is a much better spot up shooter.  Occasionally he will flash with a drive.  He had an off night.  Lindo played some bad defense from what I saw.

Hopefully they learn from this.  They weren't going to go undefeated.  I believe Penn State is a good team and potential sleeper come March.

Edited by Oriole4Life

2 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

To Tony's point, those coaches have all won national championships, while Turgeon hasn't been past the sweet 16 and is 9-9 overall.    Until he improves his tournament results, it's tough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But this is probably the best team he has had so hopefully he proves us wrong.

2 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

Texas Tech is beating Louisville by 11 with 50 seconds left IN LOUISVILLE.  They must have an awful coach.  A #1 team losing to an unranked team at home.  Oh the horror....

They creamed em too.  Terps had chance to move up, now it's unlikely they ever hit #1.