Sign in to follow this  
Uli2001

Gerritt Cole to NYY

For that money, Cole better win them multiple titles.  Yankee fans could care less about regular season wins, division titles, or sweeping the perpetually intimidated Twins in the playoffs.  It is championship or bust for the next 9 years.  Good luck with that.

They are the Yankees.  $324 million to them is like $324 to us.  Totally worth it as long as they win the WS a couple of times.  A total waste of money if they don't.  Either way, their wallets will be fine....they always are

CC is off the books and i think they've cleared some other payroll as well. With the money MLB and the Yankees are making, it's not terrible for them. 

This shows that the Yankees are squarely back to their old ways. The "youth movement" didn't last long. A Steinbrenner is going to be a Steinbrenner.

I just think it's very risky to place that kind of money on a pitcher for that long. I am sure they have bought all kinds of insurance, but that only kicks in if he can't play at all. But as someone said, it doesn't matter to them.

I still think this kind of thing is going to kill baseball in the long run. Or maybe they can contract to a league of five teams in NY, Boston and LA.

16 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

This shows that the Yankees are squarely back to their old ways. The "youth movement" didn't last long. A Steinbrenner is going to be a Steinbrenner.

I just think it's very risky to place that kind of money on a pitcher for that long. I am sure they have bought all kinds of insurance, but that only kicks in if he can't play at all. But as someone said, it doesn't matter to them.

I still think this kind of thing is going to kill baseball in the long run. Or maybe they can contract to a league of five teams in NY, Boston and LA.

They still have a lot of youth unfortunately.  But some of them (Judge, Sanchez especially) are at least finally hitting arbitration.   Baseball reference estimates their 2020 payroll now (with no Cole included yet, and i'm not sure how they are addressing the Ellsbury issue) at $200M.  Considering that the luxury tax threshold is going to be $208M for 2020...........yeah they are already pretty far over.

I think it is riskier for the Yankees to not sign someone like him.  10 years without a WS appearance or title for them is like 90 years for the Orioles.  Their fanbase is not okay with just being really good while Boston has won 2 titles since then.  They did what they had to do to keep their customers happy, which is what any good business does.  And as long as Cole doesn't have to face Juan Soto in October, he should be just fine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Definitely more then the flu. The damage to the lungs is alarming. Seems to act  like more then just a virus in the 5% who get it real bad.  https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825499422/ventilators-can-save-lives-of-some-covid-19-patients-but-theyre-no-panacea   From my friend in his 50's. He is not even in the hospital but at home.  Im willing to look into sharing my immunity (once I survive). I im 9 days into exposure. Thank god lungs are clear. Breathing is strong. Dealing with 20% normal energy. No appetite. Lost 9 pounds so far.  Fever ranging from 101 - 103. Chills. Diarrhea.  Fun. Fun. Fun.  
    • Thanks.    These are fun observations to have at a time when there are no current games to evaluate.    
    • Not sure what schools have to do with baseball.  Schools have closed because it is hard to get the schoolyear finished before the start of the next one.  Also that is public, not privately owned like MLB.  I think baseball could do July or earlier if necessary.  Seems MLB doesn't want to start unless fans can attend.  NBA and NHL, I think were looking at the CBA(Chinese basketball league) for starting up.  Sending players to neutral sites, keeping players and coaches under quarantine, and playing in empty stadiums.  I think baseball could do that in Arizona or Florida or both.  I kind of agree with Mark Cuban that games would help people in the crisis, but would need to be done safely.  WWE seems to be handling it well so far.  UFC is also going to try with 249 and their last Fight Night in Brazil. 
    • 50-80% is quite a wide array statistically which means its still not clear.  if its closer to 80% you are more correct, if its 50%, we are choosing to kill people being short because 1/2 people on ventilators survive.
    • TRAITOR!!!!!  I can remember Snyder owning the Orioles, no doubt. Funny you mention that Rotisserie book. I bought that too and created leagues based off their categories for years. It wasn't until about 1989 that I ran a league in my unit that I changed some of the categories to make it more "realistic." By 1993, I had developed a league that included waivers, contracts (After the draft, you had to sign a guy to a 1, 2 or 3 year contract that went up 10% each year and were guaranteed against your salary cap) and included stats like SB-CS, SV-BS and I believe we used EBHs as a category to help those guys who did more than hit homers and collect RBIs.
    • Yeah, I don't recommend it either!    
    • No, I'm going to search the waiver wire and put guys like Givens, Cobb and Bleier on the trading block and hoping to get decent offers. I've already executed a waiver claim on a pitcher and will announce that today before tonights game.
  • Popular Contributors