If I was just listing them in order for who could be top 5 taken now not necessarily all fits for us. There are few other guys that have more upside but are too far down the minors to really consider IMO.
1. Riley Pint. Rhp The stuff is about as high as your ever going to find in the rule 5 draft. Fastball curve is back end of bullpen type stuff. Now where it is going half the time is a different story but you won’t find higher upside in this draft.
2. Wander Javier SS again tools are there but consistent playing time has kept him back missing a bunch of time. If he can stay healthy and get in reps could be guy that is your SS of future. I could see Richie Martin type strategy get him through next season as backup middle infielder then send to AA or AAA next year. He is just 21 years old so you have time in minors after if you can get him through this season.
3. Kevin Kramer. utility He is a bit more ready and could probably hold his own as utility type player this year. He is already 27 so he is more what you see will be what you get type guy and not high upside guy. I don’t see him as a guy that fits in what I would be looking at as terms of rule draft but he still guy I could see getting claimed in it.
4. Jose Soriano rhp another high upside guy with + fastball. He has been a starter but could be used in pen and try to hide him some, then see what you have in 2-3 years.
5. Brewer Hinklin of He us a former 2 sport player out of college with football and baseball. He has tools to play corner outfield and can play CF in a pinch but arm is below average. He has good speed and stolen quite a few bases in minors and decent power but pretty raw and a position we are pretty deep in.
Another day, another tidbit - the '21 Baseball Forecaster gives him a bullish UP tag, lauding improved Eye and low H% as indicators he deserved more than his .261 AVG outcome.
Their xBA for his 2020 was .308.
Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no.
The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.