Sign in to follow this  
sportsfan8703

Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

O’s Take Michael Rucker from Cubs AAA RHP in rd 2

MLB phase is over. We were the only team to draft two players. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Good find. After reading that though, it seems his FB was down in 2018, then in 2019 got it back to pre-2018 levels and benefitted from converting to a bullpen role. So it doesn’t seem like an out of nowhere jump. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good find. After reading that though, it seems his FB was down in 2018, then in 2019 got it back to pre-2018 levels and benefitted from converting to a bullpen role. So it doesn’t seem like an out of nowhere jump. 

Down yes, but in 2017 he was 92-94 and touched 95.

In 2019, he's touching 97. 

Rucker found the best stuff of his career. 95-97 mph happened often, and from May 18 to the end of the season, Rucker had a 2.76 ERA, striking out 66 in 58.2 IP, and allowing just a .329 slugging.

He wasn’t on my intial list of 400 names, so I never watched any video on him. I’ll update with my thoughts when I get around to watching him (Stephen Woods Jr either). I had 8 of 11 and Payton I’m perfectly cool with leaving off.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• If I was just listing them in order for who could be top 5 taken now not necessarily all fits for us. There are few other guys that have more upside but are too far down the minors to really consider IMO. 1. Riley Pint.  Rhp The stuff is about as high as your ever going to find in the rule 5 draft.  Fastball curve is back end of bullpen type stuff.  Now where it is going half the time is a different story but you won’t find higher upside in this draft. 2. Wander Javier SS again tools are there but consistent playing time has kept him back missing a bunch of time.  If he can stay healthy and get in reps could be guy that is your SS of future.  I could see Richie Martin type strategy get him through next season as backup middle infielder then send to AA or AAA next year. He is just 21 years old so you have time in minors after if you can get him through this season. 3. Kevin Kramer. utility He is a bit more ready and could probably hold his own as utility type player this year. He is already 27 so he is more what you see will be what you get type guy and not high upside guy.  I don’t see him as a guy that fits in what I would be looking at as terms of rule draft but he still guy I could see getting claimed in it. 4. Jose Soriano rhp another high upside guy with + fastball.  He has been a starter but could be used in pen and try to hide him some, then see what you have in 2-3 years. 5. Brewer Hinklin of He us a former 2 sport player out of college with football and baseball.  He has tools to play corner outfield and can play CF in a pinch but arm is below average. He has good speed and stolen quite a few bases in minors and  decent power but pretty raw and a position we are pretty deep in. 
    • I don't think their is much of a connection between drafting Kjerstad and claiming Shaw.
    • Seems like the O's are really interested in LH hitters. First Kjerstad now Shaw. I wonder if they view him as an upgrade to any of the other OF prospects. 
    • Another day, another tidbit - the '21 Baseball Forecaster gives him a bullish UP tag, lauding improved Eye and low H% as indicators he deserved more than his .261 AVG outcome. Their xBA for his 2020 was .308.
    • Wander has collapsed. He’s been so bad he didn’t get protected. Hard pass. I don’t think Kramer hits well enough to be considered, and his defense isn’t anything. I was interested because we share a name, but no.  The unprotected ranked prospects offer pretty slim pickin’s, so we will choose someone not on the surface radar.
    • No need. Unless if he accepts ML minimum, I’d rather work with our own guys, and I doubt he’d take that little or come here regardless.
    • Why? We’ve already got several of him. Even if he’s good, we have no place to play him.. even if we dumped Davis, we’d STILL have no place to play him. And it sure looks like he’s NOT good.
  • Popular Contributors