Sign in to follow this  
sportsfan8703

Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Wonder if we put him back in a rotation....in 2018, he threw 130 innings at 3.73 era. Gave up 111 hits and 38 walks.

I would imagine they'll tell him to prepare as a starter and then decide in ST. Seems like a long shot to me but then, today is the first time I'd ever heard his name. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Wonder if we put him back in a rotation....in 2018, he threw 130 innings at 3.73 era. Gave up 111 hits and 38 walks.

I don't see how someone who made it into the second round of the rule V draft making it a full season in a ML rotation. 

7 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

After the rule 5 waiting period they can. It’s half a season, so we”ll probably know what we have by then 

No, they can’t option him this season.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

No, they can’t option him this season.

Have they changed the rules? I thought it was 81 games or some number around there where you had to offer the player back to the original team, and then after that they could be optioned

11 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

After the rule 5 waiting period they can. It’s half a season, so we”ll probably know what we have by then 

— If a team chooses a player in the Rule 5 Draft, they will pay $100,000 to the team he was chosen from.

— The receiving team will put the player on its Major League 25-man roster for all of the following season, and must be active for a minimum of 90 days.

— If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is placed on outrightwaivers. If he goes unclaimed, he is offered back to his original team for $50,000. If the original team declines, the receiving team may option him to the minor leagues.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Have they changed the rules? I thought it was 81 games or some number around there where you had to offer the player back to the original team, and then after that they could be optioned

They can be *injured* for a portion of the season.

12 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

— If a team chooses a player in the Rule 5 Draft, they will pay $100,000 to the team he was chosen from.

— The receiving team will put the player on its Major League 25-man roster for all of the following season, and must be active for a minimum of 90 days.

— If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is placed on outrightwaivers. If he goes unclaimed, he is offered back to his original team for $50,000. If the original team declines, the receiving team may option him to the minor leagues.

Thank you for clarifying

• Like 1

By 2021, I feel like one (or two, if we're lucky) of the Akin/Baumann/Kremer batch will join Means (Cobb too I guess) as someone who can usually make it five innings, but next year wow - we may be in position to set records for fewest appearances of at least X number of innings.   That isn't necessarily bad - three and flee might give five and dive a run for its money.  Probably the more madcap the first half of next year's pitching strategy is, the more entertaining that'll be in the last couple months of waiting for a few of the better players.

• Upvote 1