Jump to content
sportsfan8703

Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Dale said:

The inefficiency of the pitching market gives hope that the Orioles have discovered a viable middle relief option for 2020

Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  

But then we had the #1 pick in the Milb portion taken from our system?  So does that mean we have the best depth AA-A ball?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  

It also helped that everyone passed on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they coveted him they could have made room.

Just criticizing for the sake of it at this point. The scouts/data found something they like in the player, he's a long shot to stick, the O's have room on the roster, who cares? He's Drew Jackson. Why are you so concerned that other teams passed? It tells us nothing about the viability of Elias & Co's methods, or the skill of their scouting, or anything really. You're trying to sink your teeth into some kind of criticism here but you've got nothing but an air sandwich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just criticizing for the sake of it at this point. The scouts/data found something they like in the player, he's a long shot to stick, the O's have room on the roster, who cares? He's Drew Jackson. Why are you so concerned that other teams passed? It tells us nothing about the viability of Elias & Co's methods, or the skill of their scouting, or anything really. You're trying to sink your teeth into some kind of criticism here but you've got nothing but an air sandwich. 

Wtf?  Go back and check what I was responding to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wtf?  Go back and check what I was responding to.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that you're saying teams passed on him and therefore he's not good/the O's evaluation is not great. My bad if that's not what you were saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milb.com isn’t high on Rucker’s chances of sticking:

 

11. Michael Rucker, RHP, Orioles (from Cubs): This won't be the rotation help the O's are looking for. Rucker was previously a starter in the Cubs system, but moved to the bullpen full-time in 2019. He spent almost the entire season at Double-A Tennessee, posting a 4.28 ERA with 89 strikeouts in 75 2/3 innings there. Rucker, who throws in the low-90s with a deceptive delivery, often pitched two or three innings, so he does bring potential as a long man for Baltimore. But without blowaway stuff or killer results, it might be asking too much of the O's to carry him along with Bailey, even in their current state. Stickiness level: Two [out of five]


https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-judging-rule-5-draft-stickiness/c-312187564

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Milb.com isn’t high on Rucker’s chances of sticking:

 

11. Michael Rucker, RHP, Orioles (from Cubs): This won't be the rotation help the O's are looking for. Rucker was previously a starter in the Cubs system, but moved to the bullpen full-time in 2019. He spent almost the entire season at Double-A Tennessee, posting a 4.28 ERA with 89 strikeouts in 75 2/3 innings there. Rucker, who throws in the low-90s with a deceptive delivery, often pitched two or three innings, so he does bring potential as a long man for Baltimore. But without blowaway stuff or killer results, it might be asking too much of the O's to carry him along with Bailey, even in their current state. Stickiness level: Two [out of five]


https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-judging-rule-5-draft-stickiness/c-312187564

Compared to the other Rule 5 picks, I like our side of the deal.

I'm not sure grading him on "the low 90's" is accurate for our guy.

I'd like to see the O's tandem Rucker and Bailey for 9 outs each and see if they can handle one game out of 5. Maybe that's way too optimistic on my part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Milb.com isn’t high on Rucker’s chances of sticking:

 

11. Michael Rucker, RHP, Orioles (from Cubs): This won't be the rotation help the O's are looking for. Rucker was previously a starter in the Cubs system, but moved to the bullpen full-time in 2019. He spent almost the entire season at Double-A Tennessee, posting a 4.28 ERA with 89 strikeouts in 75 2/3 innings there. Rucker, who throws in the low-90s with a deceptive delivery, often pitched two or three innings, so he does bring potential as a long man for Baltimore. But without blowaway stuff or killer results, it might be asking too much of the O's to carry him along with Bailey, even in their current state. Stickiness level: Two [out of five]


https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-judging-rule-5-draft-stickiness/c-312187564

He was 2.68 ERA post-all star break, coinciding with an uptick in velocity.

I missed him in my process, didn’t ever look into him. But after seeing him, I definitely prefer him to Rony Garcia or Yohan Ramirez. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

 

He was 2.68 ERA post-all star break, coinciding with an uptick in velocity.

I missed him in my process, didn’t ever look into him. But after seeing him, I definitely prefer him to Rony Garcia or Yohan Ramirez. 

 

 

I like that statement. It’s probably 50/50 that we trade Givens. Fry might be useless if they pass implement the new rule. Right now the only pitchers that we can pencil in are,

Means, Cobb, Wojo

Givens, Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong

That’s 5 spots up for grabs and I think we’re going to lean towards pitchers that can go multiple innings. I mean, we’re going to have to with that rotation. 

I think we bring in 2-3 vet SP on milb/mlb min deals. We shouldn’t do anything to mess up the prospects development in AAA until they are ready. That includes Akin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Only has 57 post, give them a break.  Probably better posted in my post on the MLB guidance thread but I do find it interesting that the kid cant take responsibility for their own actions when they were clearly breaking mlb rules that have been in place for half a century or more.  
    • Sorry if I'm coming off a little preachy in my last post. This is just a really insane situation. Minor league salaries did get a bump a year ago, but 43 teams were also dissolved. Hell, a few years ago players were not only paid a horrible wage, they had to pay clubhouse fees. I'm a capitalist, but watching Chris Davis make over $21 million this year to spend the entire year at home in Texas, while we have AA players sleeping in their cars just to make ends meet? And if the fans don't care about that situation, nobody else will. Certainly not the two Goliaths battling over the new CBA and how two divy up over $10 billion in revenue per year. Damn.......I'm getting preachy again. Ok, I'll stop. 
    • Generally speaking, the kind of players that are having their service time manipulated originally signed for sizable bonuses, and many will be paid MLB salaries for multiple years. The players that are talking about sleeping in cars didn't get those big bonuses. If they're in AA they're making about $12k a year, only paid during the five month season. Apparently not paid at all during spring training or AFL.  Worth noting that I'm not at all a fan of the system allows teams to manipulate service clocks at all. If Rutschman is ready on August 1st, he should be called up on August 1st, not held out until some day in April the following season. But as a fan who wants to see the club win, and sustain that winning, manipulating a players' service clock has become an accepted reality in order to retain players you otherwise couldn't afford to keep.  To me, all of this boils down to the absurdity of the Uniform Minor League Player Contract and corresponding salary terms being negotiated solely by two parties that do not represent minor league players in any capacity. The owners don't want to pay any more than they absolutely have to, and the Major League Players Association doesn't want to lessen the potential salaries of the players they do represent. It leaves the average minor league player earning below the federal poverty line. I find it a particularly odd contrast to be building a state of the art 22.5 acre training facility in the Dominican Republic but we won't provide basic housing solutions for our players in the organization.  I'm not feeling at all conflicted about my anger. 
    • The varying combinations of Berra, Elston Howard and Johnny Blanchard used by the NYYs in the late 50s and early 60s were pretty good.
    • I saw him demolish a pitch on Thursday at Bowling Green but then not much after that and he dropped a fly ball to cost Aberdeen a game Saturday. I agree though that he is one to watch.
    • Didn’t think the ump was as bad as everyone else in the stadium did, but there’s no doubt he was inconsistent and squeezing early then opened the zone way up in the last few innings. Grayson seemed to be relying on the FB/CU combo for the most part. Both pitches looked nice, though he was barreled a few times and seemed to let too many hitters hang around fouling pitches off in the first couple innings.
    • I do find it amusing that some of the folks that are unhappy with this situation are fine with the Orioles gaming service time to suppress salary and delay the ability to choose an employer.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...