Greg Pappas

An Early Look at the 2020 Off-season/NFL Draft

I understand full well that this season hasn't even ended yet, BUT I wanted to take a look at what I consider to be our needs heading into next season. 
Without knowing who will be let go, added, signed, not re-signed, etc, the following are the positions I see (eye test/not analytics) as most important in terms of stabilizing or upgrading (in no particular order):

OFFENSE

• WR... While Marquise Brown has shown he can be an outstanding receiver, and is a favorite target of Lamar, he's played hurt most of the season.  With a full off-season to recover he should be very good for us moving forward. However, outside of a couple of decent vets like Snead and Roberts,  and a hit-or-miss rookie with some promise in Boykin, the Ravens are lacking a true "#1" weapon on the outside. I'm looking at guys that strike fear into opposing defenses... guys that must be accounted for. I don't expect that we'll get that guy in the draft, but prospects like Laviska Shenault and Tee Higgins could draw consideration.
  • Interior O-Line (C/OG)... Coming into this season I was highly concerned that we'd be sub-par at both center and left guard, yet both Skura and Bozeman have performed better than expected. Still, both spots could be upgraded. There is also the very real chance that Marshall Yanda's career is drawing to a close, sooner than later. We need reinforcements/upgrades and this should be priority 1A or 1B, (along with a pash rusher) via Free Agency or the Draft. Prospects like Tyler Biadasz and Creed Humphrey could draw consideration early in the Draft.

DEFENSE

• Edge Rusher... Priority One could be upgrading this spot.  Outside of pending free agent Judon, we have no one that can get after the QB with any consistency. Rookie Jaylon Ferguson shows promise, but I wouldn't say I have faith that he's the answer.  Ferguson may yet be a solid Edge, but even if we re-sign Judon, another strong pass rusher should be among our most pressing needs. Prospects like Julian Okwara, Curtis Weaver,  AJ Epenesa, and Yetur Gross-Matos could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • An Interior Pass-Rush DT... Pass rushes don't always have to come from the outside or a multitude of blitzes.  We have two solid run stuffing tackles in Williams and Pierce, but I don't see much of an interior rush from any of our D-Lineman.  Adding a talent that can accomplish that would improve an already solid overall D. Prospects like Marvin Wilson and Javon Kinlaw could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • LB... Onwuasor is decent, as is Fort, but we need another strong presence to team with the surprising Josh Bynes. This is a spot that really needs help. Prospects like Kenneth Murray and Dylan Moses could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • CB... Humphrey is among the top CB's in the game. Re-signing Marcus Peters seems a no-brainer, but whether we can do it remains to be seen. Even if we do bring Peters back, vet corners Smith (31) and Carr (33) have been beatable and an infusion of new talent would seem to be wise. Prospects like Trevon Diggs and Shawn Wade could draw consideration early in the Draft.

A few notes: This is not a priority, but having a quality backup QB to Lamar could be something to look at. I'm not sold on RG3, and McSorley, while showing some promise in the pre-season, is not a strong bet to be able to be the #2 guy.  Naturally Lamar cannot be duplicated, and it would be a tall task to try to find a talent that mirror's any of Lamar's skills.  But the thought did cross my mind that a player like Jalen Hurts has the potential to be a guy that could provide a nice long term answer as QB #2. It's unlikely that we'd be looking to add a backup QB, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't expect the Ravens to look early in the draft for a RB, but it is a position that adding quality depth to might make sense. While he's an older back, Ingram has been very good, and Gus Edwards has been a strong secondary option, but it doesn't hurt to have fresh talent at the ready. I may be in the minority, and I could be wrong about him, however I haven't been impressed with Justice Hill. 

As well, some new talent/depth at safety may be something we look to add.

Again, these are just my thoughts, and are not based on any analytics.  What do you feel are our biggest needs going into the off-season?

Walter Football says

ravensb_logo.gif Baltimore Ravens: Jon Greenard, DE, Florida Florida_logo.gif
The Ravens selected Marquise Brown in the opening round of the 2019 NFL Draft, but I get the sense that they were hoping Clelin Ferrell would fall to them. They need to find replacements for Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith.

Jon Greenard is a quick edge rusher who has a variety of moves.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020_1.php

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Would love to move up and grab a big time WR threat and make this offense even more lethal. After that, I'd be thinking in terms of DE, ILB, OL and RB.

The Ravens need their next big MLB

I think just take best player available in the first two rounds.  We need another interior lineman at some point in the draft..   T

The good thing is our picks the last 2 years seem to be mostly working out so we don't have a ton of holes.  If we lose Judon we will need someone to replace him.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think just take best player available in the first two rounds.  We need another interior lineman at some point in the draft..   T

The good thing is our picks the last 2 years seem to be mostly working out so we don't have a ton of holes.  If we lose Judon we will need someone to replace him.

DE or ILB are big needs. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

DE or ILB are big needs. 

We will be picking at end of first round.  I dont think picking for need is smart.  We picked need for Elam and Permian and how did that work out.  Pick the best player as injuries always happen. You can always sign a free agent for needs.

Lines, lines, lines.  This team cant function without continued investment in their lines.  This includes linebackers who rush the passer.

Middle linebacker. Clark is good but I dont see a long term defensive leader.  Ideally in the middle of the defense.

WR honestly isnt a huge priority for me.  I am happy with the skill position players for the next few years.  That said, Decosta has previously stated that the ravens need to take more bites a that apple so I expect he prioritizes a skill position pick in the top 3 rounds for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Lines, lines, lines.  This team cant function without continued investment in their lines.  This includes linebackers who rush the passer.

Middle linebacker. Clark is good but I dont see a long term defensive leader.  Ideally in the middle of the defense.

WR honestly isnt a huge priority for me.  I am happy with the skill position players for the next few years.  That said, Decosta has previously stated that the ravens need to take more bites a that apple so I expect he prioritizes a skill position pick in the top 3 rounds for the foreseeable future.

I'd sign a free agent WR that would fit the bill.

Bama's Dylan Moses should be available at 32 ....He'd go high in the draft if not for a torn ACL just before the start of the season.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Roll Tide said:

DE or ILB are big needs. 

Agreed and O-line. I think Boykin is underrated. 

On 12/15/2019 at 12:18 PM, Greg Pappas said:

I understand full well that this season hasn't even ended yet, BUT I wanted to take a look at what I consider to be our needs heading into next season. 
Without knowing who will be let go, added, signed, not re-signed, etc, the following are the positions I see (eye test/not analytics) as most important in terms of stabilizing or upgrading (in no particular order):

OFFENSE

• WR... While Marquise Brown has shown he can be an outstanding receiver, and is a favorite target of Lamar, he's played hurt most of the season.  With a full off-season to recover he should be very good for us moving forward. However, outside of a couple of decent vets like Snead and Roberts,  and a hit-or-miss rookie with some promise in Boykin, the Ravens are lacking a true "#1" weapon on the outside. I'm looking at guys that strike fear into opposing defenses... guys that must be accounted for. I don't expect that we'll get that guy in the draft, but prospects like Laviska Shenault and Tee Higgins could draw consideration.
  • Interior O-Line (C/OG)... Coming into this season I was highly concerned that we'd be sub-par at both center and left guard, yet both Skura and Bozeman have performed better than expected. Still, both spots could be upgraded. There is also the very real chance that Marshall Yanda's career is drawing to a close, sooner than later. We need reinforcements/upgrades and this should be priority 1A or 1B, (along with a pash rusher) via Free Agency or the Draft. Prospects like Tyler Biadasz and Creed Humphrey could draw consideration early in the Draft.

DEFENSE

• Edge Rusher... Priority One could be upgrading this spot.  Outside of pending free agent Judon, we have no one that can get after the QB with any consistency. Rookie Jaylon Ferguson shows promise, but I wouldn't say I have faith that he's the answer.  Ferguson may yet be a solid Edge, but even if we re-sign Judon, another strong pass rusher should be among our most pressing needs. Prospects like Julian Okwara, Curtis Weaver,  AJ Epenesa, and Yetur Gross-Matos could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • An Interior Pass-Rush DT... Pass rushes don't always have to come from the outside or a multitude of blitzes.  We have two solid run stuffing tackles in Williams and Pierce, but I don't see much of an interior rush from any of our D-Lineman.  Adding a talent that can accomplish that would improve an already solid overall D. Prospects like Marvin Wilson and Javon Kinlaw could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • LB... Onwuasor is decent, as is Fort, but we need another strong presence to team with the surprising Josh Bynes. This is a spot that really needs help. Prospects like Kenneth Murray and Dylan Moses could draw consideration early in the Draft.
  • CB... Humphrey is among the top CB's in the game. Re-signing Marcus Peters seems a no-brainer, but whether we can do it remains to be seen. Even if we do bring Peters back, vet corners Smith (31) and Carr (33) have been beatable and an infusion of new talent would seem to be wise. Prospects like Trevon Diggs and Shawn Wade could draw consideration early in the Draft.

A few notes: This is not a priority, but having a quality backup QB to Lamar could be something to look at. I'm not sold on RG3, and McSorley, while showing some promise in the pre-season, is not a strong bet to be able to be the #2 guy.  Naturally Lamar cannot be duplicated, and it would be a tall task to try to find a talent that mirror's any of Lamar's skills.  But the thought did cross my mind that a player like Jalen Hurts has the potential to be a guy that could provide a nice long term answer as QB #2. It's unlikely that we'd be looking to add a backup QB, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't expect the Ravens to look early in the draft for a RB, but it is a position that adding quality depth to might make sense. While he's an older back, Ingram has been very good, and Gus Edwards has been a strong secondary option, but it doesn't hurt to have fresh talent at the ready. I may be in the minority, and I could be wrong about him, however I haven't been impressed with Justice Hill. 

As well, some new talent/depth at safety may be something we look to add.

Again, these are just my thoughts, and are not based on any analytics.  What do you feel are our biggest needs going into the off-season?

PFF has the Ravens selecting Kenneth Murray a Middle Linebacker from Oklahoma at #32.

Kenneth Murray Scouting Report 
By Charlie Campbell 

Strengths: 

• Sideline-to-sideline speed 
  • Tough run defender 
  • Good tackler 
  • Hard hitter 
  • Very physical 
  • Quick 
  • Diagnosis skills 
  • Read-and-react skills 
  • Fits a 4-3 or 3-4 defense 
  • Always around the ball 
  • Quick to the flat 
  • Closing speed 
  • Rangy 
  • Advanced pass-coverage linebacker 
  • Can help cover against tight ends and running backs 
  • Can drop into zone coverage 
  • Good instincts 
  • Dangerous edge rusher 
  • Ability to bend 
  • Ability to dip 
  • Has the speed to turn the corner 
  • Asset to spy mobile quarterbacks 
  • Strong, thick build 
  • Durable 
  • Athletic upside 
  • Upside; continues to improve

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-nfl-mock-draft-chase-young-lands-in-washington-with-the-second-pick

Id be ecstatic with that selection 

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020kmurray.php

• Upvote 1