Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

6 Starters, 21 relievers at AAA in December

Recommended Posts

I see a bunch of reliever inventory at AAA.

First, who is on the O's major league pitching staff.

Starters:  Means, Cobb, Wojo,  Bailey(Opener)  and TBA (To Be Acquired)

Relievers: Harvey, Bleier, Castro:  Guys that have nothing to prove at AAA: Scott, Carroll, Sulser; Rucker(Rule 5) and one TBA that is a long man

Givens is traded.

Starters at AAA:  (6) Akins, Baumann, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells

Reliever candidates at AAA: (21)  Off the major league roster with major league experience:  Armstrong, Fry, Hess, Phillips

On the major league roster but have not proven themselves at AAA:  Tate, Kline and Hanhold

Up from AA:  Alvarado, Muckenhirn, Erwin and Mattson

Others:  Shepherd, Eshelman, Herb, Rogers, Blach, Ortiz, Zastryzny, Flaa,  Jimenez, Hunter Cervenka

Some will get pushed down to AA.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

That last list of 10 names. Most are not going to be in the organization at all by the time the season starts.

Lefty Hunter Cervenka has a chance to make the O's pen next year.  He has a  2.80  ERA in AAA last year and most of that was in the PCL.

Luis Ortiz is still only 24 years old.  

Zastryzny is a former Cub that Elias just signed.  They must have seen something they think they can improve.

Francisco Jimenez is 25 and had a good season at AA last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

Lefty Hunter Cervenka has a chance to make the O's pen next year.  He has a  2.80  ERA in AAA last year and most of that was in the PCL.

Luis Ortiz is still only 24 years old.  

Zastryzny is a former Cub that Elias just signed.  They must have seen something they thing they can improve.

Francisco Jimenez is 25 and had a good season at AA last season.

I would hope a 25 year old would have a good year at AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Akin, Armstrong, and Fry all make the team. Cody Carroll needs to re-prove himself after a rough ML debut and then missing a whole year of action.

A lot of other guys on your list (Herb, Flaa, Eshelman, Jimenez, etc.) are just organizational guys. They can be released or sent to AA and it won't matter.

Right now today: Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Rucker, Fry, Armstrong, Scott, and Sulser could be the Orioles pen. (I agree, Givens is traded).

Tate, Kline, Phillips, Carroll, Mattson, Cervenka, Alvarado are the next 7 interesting names. That could be Norfolk's pen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I think Akin, Armstrong, and Fry all make the team. Cody Carroll needs to re-prove himself after a rough ML debut and then missing a whole year of action.

A lot of other guys on your list (Herb, Flaa, Eshelman, Jimenez, etc.) are just organizational guys. They can be released or sent to AA and it won't matter.

Right now today: Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Rucker, Fry, Armstrong, Scott, and Sulser could be the Orioles pen. (I agree, Givens is traded).

Tate, Kline, Phillips, Carroll, Mattson, Cervenka, Alvarado are the next 7 interesting names. That could be Norfolk's pen.

You could be right.   i just have not figured out why Armstrong and Fry will be better this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wildcard said:

You could be right.   i just have not figured out why Armstrong and Fry will be better this coming season.

I'm not expecting big improvement either, but they're both fine 7th inning guys on a bad team. 4.45 and 4.08 career FIPs. Not good, not bad. None of Tate, Carroll, Kline, etc. are beating down the door yet, so I'm fine with giving innings to those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was interesting: just talking about non-40 man roster players in AAA, the Astros only have one non-home grown player on their roster (Brendan McCurry), the Orioles only have one homegrown player (Jimenez).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, luismatos4prez said:

I think Akin, Armstrong, and Fry all make the team. Cody Carroll needs to re-prove himself after a rough ML debut and then missing a whole year of action.

A lot of other guys on your list (Herb, Flaa, Eshelman, Jimenez, etc.) are just organizational guys. They can be released or sent to AA and it won't matter.

Right now today: Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Rucker, Fry, Armstrong, Scott, and Sulser could be the Orioles pen. (I agree, Givens is traded).

Tate, Kline, Phillips, Carroll, Mattson, Cervenka, Alvarado are the next 7 interesting names. That could be Norfolk's pen.

I  think the pen needs at least one long reliever.   That is Elias job to add one or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

Thought this was interesting: just talking about non-40 man roster players in AAA, the Astros only have one non-home grown player on their roster (Brendan McCurry), the Orioles only have one homegrown player (Jimenez).

Huh? Lowther, Baumann, Wells, Flaa, Gonzalez, Alvarado, Muckenhirm, Erwin, Chleborad are also all home grown non-40 man potential AAA pitchers (assuming you are referring just to pitchers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Huh? Lowther, Baumann, Wells, Flaa, Gonzalez, Alvarado, Muckenhirm, Erwin, Chleborad are also all home grown non-40 man potential AAA pitchers (assuming you are referring just to pitchers).

Pitchers that are potentially at Norfolk are not at all at Norfolk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Pitchers that are potentially at Norfolk are not at all at Norfolk.

So you think none of those guys will be at Norfolk? I'm confused, surely Lowther, Baumann, Wells, and Alvarado are pretty much locks to be at Norfolk. The others are between somewhat likely to extremely likely to be at Norfolk as well (you never really know with minor league non-prospect relievers, sometimes they bounce around).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...