Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

The team I will be watching in 2020

Recommended Posts

A couple things, you actually think they are going to play service time games with folks like Kremer and Baumann?  Or do you have another reason for predicting a month into the season?

What makes you think "Adley Rutschten" is capable of calling games at the ML level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A couple things, you actually think they are going to play service time games with folks like Kremer and Baumann?  Or do you have another reason for predicting a month into the season?

What makes you think "Adley Rutschten" is capable of calling games at the ML level?

Thanks for the spelling correction.   What I have read about Rutschman's game calling is that he is he is a quick learner with he ability to retain batters weaknesses throughout a game.   He sound amazing.  Reports are that he is great defensively and has a rocket for an arm.

As far as Baumann and Kremer,  there is no reason not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutscman starts at Frederick. Martin is the Orioles starting SS.  Diaz will be up by June/July if he hits.   

I agree that it seemingly makes more sense for Mountcastle to be a 1B than a LF.  There was a suggestion somewhere that he didn't look good at 1B last year which would be very disappointing for an "athletic" guy who most likely spent his entire amateur and professional career in the infield. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Thanks for the spelling correction.   What I have read about Rutschman's game calling is that he is he is a quick learner with he ability to retain batters weaknesses throughout a game.   He sound amazing.  Reports are that he is great defensively and has a rocket for an arm.

As far as Baumann and Kremer,  there is no reason not to.

I've heard nice things as well but that doesn't mean he's ready to step behind the plate and call games in the majors in 2020.  Did he call his own games in college? 

As far as Baumann and Kremer there is no reason to, and that is the more important part.  I wish them the best of course but they are a couple of guys.  Odds are good at some point their performance (or roster restraints) will dictate they get sent down.  I know you love the idea of breaking the rules and messing with service time but these are two guys that have never sniffed a top 100 prospect list.  They will be lucky to have four year careers in ML baseball. 

Are you going to advocate sending Martin down for a month to get that extra year of former Rule V goodness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Him, me, or both?

I'm guessing both.

I was referring to the original post. Can't really expect any of the responses to it to be particularly new or insightful.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I was referring to the original post. Can't really expect any of the responses to it to be particularly new or insightful.

I don’t worry about any of these guy until get here and perform. 
 

The Orioles last 35+ years of organizational player development has been dreadful. You can Almost count the impact guys after Cal on 1 hand (not counting guys we traded for).

Boddicker, Olson, Bedard, Machado, Schoop, Wieters, Finley, Harnisch, Mussina, and Mancini. Perhaps McDonald but I’d argue that he and Wieters underperformed based on draft hype/position.

Did I miss anyone that is/was truly a star?

I didn’t add Means until we see what he is!

My point is None of these guys matter until they make it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've heard nice things as well but that doesn't mean he's ready to step behind the plate and call games in the majors in 2020.  Did he call his own games in college? 

 

When Rutschman moved to Delmarva on Aug. 21, he went hitless in his first game, going 0-for-2 with two walks. But behind the plate, he looked like he had been with the team all year. He caught a five-pitcher two-hitter with 12 strikeouts. But beyond his physical gifts, it was how quickly he picked up a scouting report and could put it to use against Greensboro hitters that really impressed his manager Kyle Moore.

“It was awesome,” Moore said. “Justin Ramsey (Shorebirds pitching coach) went over the scouting report with him and I was really impressed how well he called a game based on some holes in the other guys’ swings that we identified. Which sometimes, when you throw nine (opponent) batters right at somebody and you’ve got a lot going on, you might not remember what you had talked about. But he did a great job. He went in on some guys where the only hole was in. We had one meeting and he got it like that. The stuff he retained so quickly was impressive.”

And while the hype and attention around him was crazy that night - his first night with a full season minor league team - Adley seemed to block it all out.

“It was refreshing to sit down and talk to him and see how cool and calm he was. Because the hype is unbelievable. I’ve never seen hype like this. They put a barricade around our cars in the parking lot. I was like, ‘Where do I park?’ But all of that said, the kid is cool and calm and that’s refreshing for me,” said Moore.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/for-this-player-expectations-will-be-high-in-2020.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Thanks for the spelling correction.   What I have read about Rutschman's game calling is that he is he is a quick learner with he ability to retain batters weaknesses throughout a game.   He sound amazing.  Reports are that he is great defensively and has a rocket for an arm.

As far as Baumann and Kremer,  there is no reason not to.

You don't hold back 4s and 5s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t worry about any of these guy until get here and perform. 
 

The Orioles last 35+ years of organizational player development has been dreadful. You can Almost count the impact guys after Cal on 1 hand (not counting guys we traded for).

Boddicker, Olson, Bedard, Machado, Schoop, Wieters, Finley, Harnisch, Mussina, and Mancini. Perhaps McDonald but I’d argue that he and Wieters underperformed based on draft hype/position.

Did I miss anyone that is/was truly a star?

I didn’t add Means until we see what he is!

My point is None of these guys matter until they make it

 

Any team would be thrilled to develop a Ben McDonald.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weams said:

You don't hold back 4s and 5s

Both Kremer and Baumann have made up jumps in their development in the last year.  In another year they may not be 4s and 5s.   I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both Kremer and Baumann have made up jumps in their development in the last year.  In another year they may not be 4s and 5s.   I guess time will tell.

No. They are both higher than they were projected. Fours and Fives are nice. you just don't hold them back. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, weams said:

No. They are both higher than they were projected. Fours and Fives are nice. you just don't hold them back. 

You don't.  I do

The O's are putting more technology, analysis and coaching into player development then we have every seen before.  I am hoping it actually helps players develop to higher levels of performance.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...