Jump to content
MurphDogg

Orioles sign Kohl Stewart, DFA Marcos Diplan, Diplan clears waivers, outrighted to AAA.

Recommended Posts

On 1/2/2020 at 7:03 AM, wildcard said:

Because Kohl Stewart was the 4th selection in the draft overall he has been groomed as a starter.  

So was Dillon Tate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, weams said:

So was Dillon Tate

 

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

And Brian Matusz.

Lo! How the mighty have fallen!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So did Diplan clear waivers?  I haven’t seen anything but we picked up Kohl Stewart on Dec 28 so that makes it 10 days. 

Hasn't been announced yet.

I did observe that four days ago he threw 4 no-hit innings for the Aguilas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So did Diplan clear waivers?  I haven’t seen anything but we picked up Kohl Stewart on Dec 28 so that makes it 10 days. 

When designated for assignment (DFA'd), the team has 10 days to trade a player or place him on waivers.  So, Diplan may not even have been placed on waivers yet, much less cleared them (if I've got this right).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 11:23 AM, Luke-OH said:

Here’s what I saw when researching him for my MiLB FA piece.

Sinker 90-94, ok pitch, but doesn’t miss many bats and can get barreled

Above average slider

Potential above average curveball, but it doesn’t play that way presently because he doesn’t locate it

Below average changeup

Scattershot command

He did throw a 4S fastball on occasion that he a near vertical spin axis, so the play might be to shift away from the sinker to the 4S. Probably needs a curveball or change improvement as well to be able to get lefties out.

Right on the money:

“There’s also some pitch-mix usage things that they’re going to look at, as well,” he said. “I think that the things they’ve given me so far, the intent was to clean up my delivery and they think there’s some added velo potential and maybe some increased usage of my slider. They see some low-hanging fruit is kind of the way they expressed it to me.

“Those are just a few of the things. I know it’s going to get a lot deeper once we get into spring training and we can really sit down and talk about it more. But those are just on the forefront some of the things that they mentioned.”

The Orioles also suggested that Stewart go back to throwing his four-seam fastball, which became his fourth pitch last season.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/01/stewart-embracing-chance-to-be-role-model-while-trying-to-make-club.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Right on the money:

“There’s also some pitch-mix usage things that they’re going to look at, as well,” he said. “I think that the things they’ve given me so far, the intent was to clean up my delivery and they think there’s some added velo potential and maybe some increased usage of my slider. They see some low-hanging fruit is kind of the way they expressed it to me.

“Those are just a few of the things. I know it’s going to get a lot deeper once we get into spring training and we can really sit down and talk about it more. But those are just on the forefront some of the things that they mentioned.”

The Orioles also suggested that Stewart go back to throwing his four-seam fastball, which became his fourth pitch last season.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/01/stewart-embracing-chance-to-be-role-model-while-trying-to-make-club.html

Nice, I just read this article and came to post these exact quotes basically. It's great to hear that Elias was in there telling him exactly how they'd help when trying to sign him. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that Diplan must have passed through waivers.  Otherwise the team that acquired him would be making an announcement.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nice, I just read this article and came to post these exact quotes basically. It's great to hear that Elias was in there telling him exactly how they'd help when trying to sign him. 

Nice article.    Wouldn’t it be great if we became known as a place that actually improves its pitchers when they come here?   That kind of reputation would do wonders for the organization.    But first we need to see some results.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

 But first we need to see some results.

I give you John Means.

And even if his sudden success is not completely, or even any, of the team’s doing, the team still gets credit for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I give you John Means.

And even if his sudden success is not completely, or even any, of the team’s doing, the team still gets credit for it.

There are always going to be examples, but we need to see some overall trends.   For a team with a 5.59 ERA, there weren’t a whole lot of success stories.    Means was definitely one.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There are always going to be examples, but we need to see some overall trends.   For a team with a 5.59 ERA, there weren’t a whole lot of success stories.    Means was definitely one.    

I agree, although there were quite a few in the minors. I wonder if Chris Holt working more on the ML side of things this year will result in more, uh, results. Specifically, guys like Hess need some help. Guys like Scott might be a lost cause. Sounds like Armstrong had a good idea of what to work on based on Luke's Twitter thread. But, yeah, a lot is TBD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are always going to be examples, but we need to see some overall trends.   For a team with a 5.59 ERA, there weren’t a whole lot of success stories.    Means was definitely one.    

Yeah, the pitching staff was pretty lousy last year, but think about the lousy guys who 1) We knew were lousy and let them pitch anyway 2) are gone.

and the guys this year will be better. I think the ERA HAS to go down simply because our “warm bodies” are better.

The drastic improvement will be seen in the guys promoted. Can’t wait to see them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 116 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...