Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

The best movies I saw in 2019

This was a down year for me in terms of going to the movies — I only made it to 15, about 5-7 short of my usual.    Too many good TV series streaming!    Here’s how I’d rank what I saw:

1.   Parasite 

2.   Little Women

3.   Toy Story 4

4.   Jim Allison: Breakthrough

5.   Knives Out

6.   Blinded by the Light

7.   Rocketman 

8.   Spider Man: Far from Home

9.   Avengers: Endgame

10.  Stan and Ollie 

11.  The Biggest Little Farm

12.   Brittany Runs a Marathon

13.   Star Wars IX

14.   Shazam

15.   Booksmart 

Nothing I saw this year was bad.   I pretty much won’t go to a movie unless I expect to like it.    But I must say, I think there has been an over-abundance of superhero movies and blockbuster sequels over the last 5-10 years, so I’m at the point where originality and character development count for a lot.    Honestly, I could have flipped a coin for nos. 8-15 on my list, I didn’t have strong preferences between them.    The main reason I put Booksmart last was that its reviews were really good and it was touted as a very fresh and original movie, but to me it was mostly just Superbad with girls as the main characters — funny enough, but not very original.

Just a word about no. 4 on my list, Jim Allison: Breakthrough.    It’s a documentary that grossed $87,000 in theaters.    I went to see it because it got four stars from the Washington Post, and it was fantastic.     It’s about the guy who won the Nobel Prize in medicine in 2018.    If you ever find it on streaming or on TV, grab it!

• Upvote 1

Saw Little Women this afternoon.  Didn’t know too much about.  Never saw the other movies or read the book.  It was really good.  The sequencing confused me at times.  Evidently Amy was played by two actresses in the 90s version.

15 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Go see Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler like you've never seen him. Really excellent movie. 

I want to see this.   Adam Sandler has put out a few serious or semi-serious movies over the years where he’s shown he can act — Reign Over Me, Punch-Drunk Love, and Funny People are three I’ve seen.    

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I want to see this.   Adam Sandler has put out a few serious or semi-serious movies over the years where he’s shown he can act — Reign Over Me, Punch-Drunk Love, and Funny People are three I’ve seen.    

I think you will really enjoy it then. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, Frobby said:

This was a down year for me in terms of going to the movies — I only made it to 15, about 5-7 short of my usual.    Too many good TV series streaming!    Here’s how I’d rank what I saw:

1.   Parasite 

2.   Little Women

3.   Toy Story 4

4.   Jim Allison: Breakthrough

5.   Knives Out

6.   Blinded by the Light

7.   Rocketman 

8.   Spider Man: Far from Home

9.   Avengers: Endgame

10.  Stan and Ollie 

11.  The Biggest Little Farm

12.   Brittany Runs a Marathon

13.   Star Wars IX

14.   Shazam

15.   Booksmart 

Nothing I saw this year was bad.   I pretty much won’t go to a movie unless I expect to like it.    But I must say, I think there has been an over-abundance of superhero movies and blockbuster sequels over the last 5-10 years, so I’m at the point where originality and character development count for a lot.    Honestly, I could have flipped a coin for nos. 8-15 on my list, I didn’t have strong preferences between them.    The main reason I put Booksmart last was that its reviews were really good and it was touted as a very fresh and original movie, but to me it was mostly just Superbad with girls as the main characters — funny enough, but not very original.

Just a word about no. 4 on my list, Jim Allison: Breakthrough.    It’s a documentary that grossed $87,000 in theaters.    I went to see it because it got four stars from the Washington Post, and it was fantastic.     It’s about the guy who won the Nobel Prize in medicine in 2018.    If you ever find it on streaming or on TV, grab it!

Of the movies you listed,, I only saw Rocketman, Toy Story 4 and Booksmart. All three were very good.  I am surprised you have Booksmart the lowest on your list.  Really great movie.  

I will probably see Little Women and  Stan and Ollie.  Can't imagine a situation where I would watch Avenger's End Game, Spiderman, Shazam or Star Wars IX.  

The worst movie I saw this year was Wonder Park.  I would recommend no one see that.  

On 1/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, backwardsk said:

Saw Little Women this afternoon.  Didn’t know too much about.  Never saw the other movies or read the book.  It was really good.  The sequencing confused me at times.  Evidently Amy was played by two actresses in the 90s version.

Just saw Little Women and I agree it was great.  I hadn’t read the book either but I did tour Louisa May Alcotts house in Concord once.   Probably would be more enjoyable now that I saw the movie based on her book.

I saw JoJo Rabbit yesterday, one of the nine Academy Award nominees.     It’s a about a ten-year old German boy in the last year of WWII who’s an ardent Nazi, who learns that his mother (played by Scarlett Johannsen, who got a best supporting actress nomination for the role) is hiding a teenage Jewish girl in their house.   It’s both a serious movie and a comedy, complete with an imaginary Hitler who visits the boy periodically.    I think some people will struggle with a comic treatment of Hitler and Naziism, but as I said, the movie is serious at the same time and overall leaves a lasting impact.    It’s deserving of the nomination it got in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I saw JoJo Rabbit yesterday, one of the nine Academy Award nominees.     It’s a about a ten-year old German boy in the last year of WWII who’s an ardent Nazi, who learns that his mother (played by Scarlett Johannsen, who got a best supporting actress nomination for the role) is hiding a teenage Jewish girl in their house.   It’s both a serious movie and a comedy, complete with an imaginary Hitler who visits the boy periodically.    I think some people will struggle with a comic treatment of Hitler and Naziism, but as I said, the movie is serious at the same time and overall leaves a lasting impact.    It’s deserving of the nomination it got in my opinion.  

How many thousands of movies have been made about World War 2 and Nazism.  I don't think I could watch another.   Really an area of history that has been beaten into the ground.