Sign in to follow this  
andrewochs615

Question about cutting the cord and Xfinity

So I have fios and pay $161 a month for a triple play package with a 1 gig mbps and am tired of paying this much. I have been looking at Xfinity for just internet at 100 mbps or the standard double play package.  When I run the numbers Xfinity internet only plus Youtube TV would be about the same price as Xfinity standard double play package. My main question is do you need the set top box to watch Xfinity TV or can you do it through the app on smart TV's and Roku's etc..

Any other advice of which way to go would work as well.

Did you mean to ask about watching YouTube tv instead of Xfinity?  If so, you just need a smart tv or roku and an internet source.

We have two TVs and two Roku devices.  I used Sling TV for a few years, but just switched to Hulu.  I did a trial of YouTube and liked it, but decided on Hulu.  It is $5 cheaper and has some original content we’re interested in.

I got rid of cable a few years ago.  Put antenna in the attic and connect to where I need it in different rooms.  I installed cables all over when I remodeled the house so I have the local channels.  Antennas are not what they used to be like those rabbit ears. I also have Amazon Prime and they have pretty much shows and movies that I have an interest in.  If there is a movie or something else that i would need to pay for, I go the torrent route.  I still need the internet connection and that is $70.  Last year for college football, some of the games were on BSPN so I would sign up for free trials like Sling and Youboobtv.  Then, thanks to someone on this forum, I found a site that streams the games I was interested in, along with the O's, of course.

Does Youtube TV get MAST and BTN?   That is what keeps me paying about the same as the OP for Comcast.  My wife and daughter pretty much just use netflix and Amazon Prime and hardly ever watch TV anymore, so it is just me and my sports addiction costing us this ridiculous monthly bill.  I may just cancel once the Terps season is over and "stream" the Orioles games this year while they are rebuilding, but it kills me that there is not an economical way to just get the sports programming you want.  

You won’t find MASN on YouTube, Sling, or Hulu. (As of now) Big10 maybe available.  I know with Sling you can pay $5 extra and get a bunch of the college networks.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, MongoBoy said:

I got rid of cable a few years ago.  Put antenna in the attic and connect to where I need it in different rooms.  I installed cables all over when I remodeled the house so I have the local channels.  Antennas are not like what they used to be like those rabbit ears. I also have Amazon Prime and they have pretty much shows and movies that I have an interest in.  If there is a movie or something else that i would need to pay for, I go the torrent route.  I still need the internet connection and that is $70.  Last year for college football, some of the games were on BSPN so I would sign up for free trials like Sling and Youboobtv.  Then, thanks to someone on this forum, I found a site that streams the games I was interested in, along with the O's, of course.

Are the antennas not as good? Better? What kind of antenna? The leaf kind or the outside antennas? I ask because I cut the cord years ago and would like to improve my reception.

btw, My bill went from $140/month with Fios double play of tv and 1 mbps internet in 2016, then to $50 internet only at 5mbps with xfinity, and since May back to Fios but now at 100 mbps for $40/month.

20 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Are the antennas not as good? Better? What kind of antenna? The leaf kind or the outside antennas? I ask because I cut the cord years ago and would like to improve my reception.

btw, My bill went from $140/month with Fios double play of tv and 1 mbps internet in 2016, then to $50 internet only at 5mbps with xfinity, and since May back to Fios but now at 100 mbps for $40/month.

Antennas are just metal and plastic. I was just saying that they are not just rabbit ears.  There are others available.  Stations signal is stronger.  I just bought a simple one cause at the time I didn't know anything about them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKE0HUG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$25 bucks.  I just have it hanging in the attic.  Signals have no problem going thru wood.  I get 40 stations, some in HD, but I mainly watch things from the internet.  I also have one that I hang near the window.

As for reception, it's fine since I am only 5 miles from some towers as the crow, er, oriole, flies.