weams

Iglesias signs with O's

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just talking about the defense.    I think the defense up the middle will be very good on the days they’re both in the lineup.    

It’s interesting to note that as a minor leaguer, Alberto generally hit RHP better than LHP over several years prior to 2019.    So I really have no idea what to expect in terms of his R/L splits next year.    My working assumption is that (1) his splits will be closer in 2020 than they were in 2019, and (2) overall, he won’t hit as well in 2020 as he did in 2020.     But, I think he’ll be decent enough to play most of the time, somewhere on the diamond.    

For sure. They will be fun to watch out there. Ruiz is no slouch at 3B either, assuming he earns a spot. I think they could use a little more depth there.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not sure I'd call him anything at all just yet.

I question his hit tool.

He certainly didn't light up the Arizona League at 19.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not sure I'd call him anything at all just yet.

Witt Jr is a heck of a prospect.   We canc call him that.

Spending 3 mil on Iglesias probably means Elias thinks its very likely that Givens will be traded.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But he isn't "getting close".

What's the confusion?  He was 19 and had a not particularly impressive season in short season ball.  I don't think he's on the fast track to the majors at this point. 

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Spending 3 mil on Iglesias probably means Elias thinks its very likely that Givens will be traded.

That assumes that Elias is operating under a “spend no money” directive, but we can’t assume that... we’ve only observed that it’s happened so far. I wouldn’t speculate on this.

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

This could be where the Villar savings went.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's the confusion?  He was 19 and had a not particularly impressive season in short season ball.  I don't think he's on the fast track to the majors at this point. 

He’s not.    But that could change in a hurry.   I wouldn’t get too caught up in short season ball.    We’ll see if he earns his way up to A+ this year.   

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson can't play SS effectively which is a requirement of a utility infielder.

Ok fair enough. Does that mean that Martin is off to AAA? Or is there a reasonable chance they could both make it?

You never know but I always am skeptical of those 19 year old high school players.   I remember two we drafted,  one was a SS, can't remember his name in the first two rounds, and the other was a 2nd rounder named Schafer from Oklahoma but I'm getting old and the old memory ain't what it used to be.   I'd say both of those happened after 1990.   Which makes me think of Rick Elder for some reason but he was only 18.

18 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I’m not sure of the connection?

Trading Villar/signing Iglesias is apparently money-neutral, so I’m unclear why this makes a Givens trade more likely?

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s not.    But that could change in a hurry.   I wouldn’t get too caught up in short season ball.    We’ll see if he earns his way up to A+ this year.   

I’m just glad we didn’t get cute and draft Witt #1 when the whole world was screaming for Adley.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure of the connection?

Trading Villar/signing Iglesias is apparently money-neutral, so I’m unclear why this makes a Givens trade more likely?

They aren't paying Iglesias as much as Villar would be making.

30 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think it will be hard for contending teams to watch a very available Givens throw in ST and not want to acquire him.