Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Notes from the Sally’s 2020 Shorebirds Preview

Seeing the praise for Joseph Ortiz's SS glove - curious if Luke or others think that's why Nick Gonzales played 2B.  Tonight's the first time it has hit me they were I guess a keystone combo last year.  Certainly part of why I have been skeptical of Gonzales as belonging in the Martin/Hancock/Torkelson tier is why was he at 2B not SS?

I guess Gonzalez after Ortiz would be symmetrical with Rutschman after Grenier.

A mature collegian like Handley gives me a little extra comfort there won't be any Rutschman Delmarva shenanigans opening the year.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Seeing the praise for Joseph Ortiz's SS glove - curious if Luke or others think that's why Nick Gonzales played 2B.  Tonight's the first time it has hit me they were I guess a keystone combo last year.  Certainly part of why I have been skeptical of Gonzales as belonging in the Martin/Hancock/Torkelson tier is why was he at 2B not SS?

I guess Gonzalez after Ortiz would be symmetrical with Rutschman after Grenier.

A mature collegian like Handley gives me a little extra comfort there won't be any Rutschman Delmarva shenanigans opening the year.

I think that's probably why Nick Gonzales was at 2B, but I don't think Gonzales is a SS at the next level regardless, he's not an average glove at 2B yet (although there is the general feeling that his work-ethic will get him there). 

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Well, my preseason win prediction was too low, but my midseason prediction of the final record was on target. 
    • Playoffs are set.   Best of 3 series with all the games at the higher seed.   AL (Tue/Wed/Thu-if-necessary) #1 Tampa Bay Rays vs #8 Toronto Blue Jays #2 Oakland A's vs #7 Chicago White Sox #3 Minnesota Twins vs #6 Houston Astros #4 Cleveland Indians vs #5 New York Yankees (should be Cole vs Bieber in G1)   NL (Wed/Thu/Fri-if-necessary) #1 LA Dodgers vs #8 Milwaukee Brewers #2 Atlanta Braves vs #7 Cincinnati Reds #3 Chicago Cubs vs #6 Miami Marlins #4 San Diego Padres vs #5 St Louis Cardinals
    • Now that we have a higher pick than the Nationals, it wouldn't shock me at all to see them instigate a one time lottery.
    • A TOR to me is one of the top 60 pitchers in baseball.  Some teams may have more than two of these while some have none. An ACE would be the top twenty of those 60 pitchers IMO.
    • No one picked 25 wins exactly. esmd picked 24, he was the closest.
    • The Giants need to win to make the playoffs.  They trailed by a run in the bottom of the 9th with two outs and no one on. A guy named Slater with a .418 OBP was up.   The Giants' best hitter, Mike Yastrzemski, was on deck.   Slater was called out on strikes on a ball that was clearly not a strike.   It ended the game, and the Giants' season, and sent the Brewers to the playoffs.   The White Sox trailed 10-8 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.   If they lost the game they would fall to the 7 seed.   If they won the game, and the Twins lost, they would win the division and be the #3 seed.   At the time, Cincinnati had scored 3 in the top of the 10th at Minnesota so a Twin loss was likely. White Sox got a man on so the tie run was at the plate.   Nomar Mazara.   He was called out on a ball that was probably not a strike, to end the game.   To give the Twins the division title and knock Chicago from possibly being a 3 seed to being the 7 seed.   Critical, questionable ball strike calls on the last pitch of the last game for two different teams made a huge difference in who gets in the postseason and who gets what seed.
    • If you hold the shift key down when you type a letter it capitalizes it. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now