Sign in to follow this  
BamaOsFan

Should we go after Andrew Cashner?

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I understand what you're saying, but I just threw up in my mouth a bit looking at the list of remaining free agent SPs. Why waste the money on any of these retreads? 

Alex Wood SP 29 CIN TBD -   - -0.3  
Ivan Nova SP 33 CHW TBD -   - 2.12  
C.C. Sabathia SP 39 NYY TBD -   - 0.37  
Jason Vargas SP 37 PHI TBD -   - 1.62  
Drew Smyly SP 31 PHI TBD -   - -0.68  
Taijuan Walker SP 27 ARI TBD -   - 0.05  
Danny Salazar SP 30 CLE TBD -   - 0.08  
Chad Bettis SP 31 COL TBD -   - -0.15  
Clay Buchholz SP 35 TOR TBD -   - -0.33  
J.C. Ramirez SP 31 LAA TBD -   - 0.06  
Erasmo Ramirez SP 30 BOS TBD -   - -0.08  
Ervin Santana SP 37 NYM TBD -   - -0.4  
Jerad Eickhoff SP 29 PHI TBD -   - -0.05  
Allen Webster SP 30 CHC TBD -   - -0.05  
Cody Anderson SP 29 CLE TBD -   - -0.62  
Dan Straily SP 31 PHI TBD -   - -1.3  
Aaron Brooks SP 30 BAL TBD -   - 0.06  
Jacob Nix SP 24 SD TBD -   -    
Tom Milone SP 33 SEA TBD -   - 1.32  
Felipe Paulino SP 36 HOU TBD -   -    
Edwin Jackson SP 36 DET TBD -   - -1.54  
Ryan Feierabend SP 34 TOR TBD -   - -0.24  
Tayler Scott SP 28 BAL TBD -   - -0.26  
Gabriel Ynoa SP 27 BAL TBD -   - 0.06  
Rookie Davis SP 27 PIT TBD -   - -0.05  
Aaron Slegers SP 27 TB TBD -   - 0.04  
Henderson Alvarez SP 30 WSH TBD -   -    
Brandon Beachy SP 33 SF TBD -   -    
Ricky Nolasco SP 37 ARI TBD -   -    
Drew Hutchison SP 29 LAA TBD -   -    
Shelby Miller SP 29 MIL TBD -   - -1  
Rubby De La Rosa SP 31 ARI TBD -   -  

I don’t see Tillman on your list!

Meh.  As was said, I'd rather through a ton of cheap, young, "lottery ticket" type guys out there than pay money to a veteran like Cashner who would be nothing but a mediocre-at-best placeholder.

13 hours ago, esmd said:

Meh.  As was said, I'd rather through a ton of cheap, young, "lottery ticket" type guys out there than pay money to a veteran like Cashner who would be nothing but a mediocre-at-best placeholder.

The problem with going through “young pitching” is that we did that last year and only Means stood out. I think we’ll pick someone up on a milb deal. We already got lucky with Cashner to be able to trade him at all. 

17 hours ago, esmd said:

Throwing out a parade of young "who-knows" types will get you a whole lot of early exits. That leads to a whole lot of long relief appearances. This loads up the AAA/AA shuttle (already busy ferrying starters) with long relievers, makes establishing defined bullpen roles difficult/impossible, and forces Hyde to manage defensively instead of being able to put guys in spots where they're most likely to succeed. Failing to bring in Cashner or an innings eater like him could very likely result in a no-or-negative rebuild progress season, at least as far as pitching is concerned. There'll be plenty of opportunities for the lottery ticket types regardless.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I understand what you're saying, but I just threw up in my mouth a bit looking at the list of remaining free agent SPs. Why waste the money on any of these retreads? 

Alex Wood SP 29 CIN TBD -   - -0.3  
Ivan Nova SP 33 CHW TBD -   - 2.12  
C.C. Sabathia SP 39 NYY TBD -   - 0.37  
Jason Vargas SP 37 PHI TBD -   - 1.62  
Drew Smyly SP 31 PHI TBD -   - -0.68  
Taijuan Walker SP 27 ARI TBD -   - 0.05  
Danny Salazar SP 30 CLE TBD -   - 0.08  
Chad Bettis SP 31 COL TBD -   - -0.15  
Clay Buchholz SP 35 TOR TBD -   - -0.33  
J.C. Ramirez SP 31 LAA TBD -   - 0.06  
Erasmo Ramirez SP 30 BOS TBD -   - -0.08  
Ervin Santana SP 37 NYM TBD -   - -0.4  
Jerad Eickhoff SP 29 PHI TBD -   - -0.05  
Allen Webster SP 30 CHC TBD -   - -0.05  
Cody Anderson SP 29 CLE TBD -   - -0.62  
Dan Straily SP 31 PHI TBD -   - -1.3  
Aaron Brooks SP 30 BAL TBD -   - 0.06  
Jacob Nix SP 24 SD TBD -   -    
Tom Milone SP 33 SEA TBD -   - 1.32  
Felipe Paulino SP 36 HOU TBD -   -    
Edwin Jackson SP 36 DET TBD -   - -1.54  
Ryan Feierabend SP 34 TOR TBD -   - -0.24  
Tayler Scott SP 28 BAL TBD -   - -0.26  
Gabriel Ynoa SP 27 BAL TBD -   - 0.06  
Rookie Davis SP 27 PIT TBD -   - -0.05  
Aaron Slegers SP 27 TB TBD -   - 0.04  
Henderson Alvarez SP 30 WSH TBD -   -    
Brandon Beachy SP 33 SF TBD -   -    
Ricky Nolasco SP 37 ARI TBD -   -    
Drew Hutchison SP 29 LAA TBD -   -    
Shelby Miller SP 29 MIL TBD -   - -1  
Rubby De La Rosa SP 31 ARI TBD -   -  

Many of those players are retired or pitching in Asia.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Many of those players are retired or pitching in Asia.

Alex Wood and Tijuan Walker would be the two that interest me.  

On 1/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, beervendor said:

Throwing out a parade of young "who-knows" types will get you a whole lot of early exits. That leads to a whole lot of long relief appearances. This loads up the AAA/AA shuttle (already busy ferrying starters) with long relievers, makes establishing defined bullpen roles difficult/impossible, and forces Hyde to manage defensively instead of being able to put guys in spots where they're most likely to succeed. Failing to bring in Cashner or an innings eater like him could very likely result in a no-or-negative rebuild progress season, at least as far as pitching is concerned. There'll be plenty of opportunities for the lottery ticket types regardless.

You assume that won't happen anyway with Cashner.  He's not good.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Alex Wood and Tijuan Walker would be the two that interest me.  

Wood just signed with the Dodgers.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wood just signed with the Dodgers.

Interesting choice. Is he even guaranteed a rotation spot? 1) Kershaw 2) Buehler 3) Maeda 4) Urias 5) Nelson (with May and/or Stripling possibly 6th starters)

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Interesting choice. Is he even guaranteed a rotation spot? 1) Kershaw 2) Buehler 3) Maeda 4) Urias 5) Nelson (with May and/or Stripling possibly 6th starters)

Teams like the Dodgers go into the season with 7-8 options for the rotations, plus milb depth, plus whatever prospects are on the horizon.  

It would be nice to see us sign Cashner on an Iglesias type contract, just to provide a bridge to our prospects in AAA/AA.  I wouldn't count on Cobb being healthy or productive.  He's earned those expectations.  I think Cashner is somewhere in between the pitcher he was for us in the first half of the season versus what he was in BOS.  I have no expectations of him performing well us flipping him.  He'd just provide some stability, and he's been pretty durable recently.  

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Teams like the Dodgers go into the season with 7-8 options for the rotations, plus milb depth, plus whatever prospects are on the horizon.  

It would be nice to see us sign Cashner on an Iglesias type contract, just to provide a bridge to our prospects in AAA/AA.  I wouldn't count on Cobb being healthy or productive.  He's earned those expectations.  I think Cashner is somewhere in between the pitcher he was for us in the first half of the season versus what he was in BOS.  I have no expectations of him performing well us flipping him.  He'd just provide some stability, and he's been pretty durable recently.  

I hear ya, but I'd really prefer not to retread the same inefficient starter. That's also why i wanted no part of the Tillman comeback. If they're going to sign someone, pick someone with upside and preferably without a mullet. Tajuan Walker or bust. 

19 hours ago, esmd said:

You assume that won't happen anyway with Cashner.  He's not good.

Oh it certainly could, but he was pretty good for us quite recently. And he doesn't have to be good, just serviceable. I think the upside of Cashner putting up 180+IP outweighs the likelihood of him underperforming our second best rule V arm, or whomever we find to fill the 2nd or 3rd avail SP slot. A lot like our elections - there are no good choices, you just hope to end up with the least bad option.

I think they will sign one or two guys off that list as a reclaimation project type.  someone that wil get low base salary with incentives in the deal on inning pitched.  Walker has the most upside but a huge injury risk. I liked Wood and Salazar has had decent years but another injury/health risk.  Chad Bettis maybe a safe pick been pretty healthy and his numbers outside of Coors the last few years are not bad with low 4 ERA.