Sign in to follow this  
sgillespie31

Favorite 'non core' Orioles?

Inspired by Moose's 'favorite bad orioles players' thread, this is similar but a bit more kind to our lesser stars.

Who are your favorite guys who were part of O's teams but not really core players?

Some Modern guys who i'd consider core players, for better or worse:

Brian Roberts, Jeremy Guthrie, Tejada, Darren O'Day, Brad Brach, Zach Britton, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, JJ Hardy, Nelson Cruz, Manny, Schoop, Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo, Chris Tillman, and Chen. Not a lot of starting pitchers there, interestingly.

For me, a few guys who really stuck with me were Jason Hammel (should have resigned him), and Joe Saunders (clutch vet that outdueled Darvish in an unforgettable wildcard game). But, my pick is... 

Nate Mclouth

I just loved the game Mclouth played. Great hustle, good instincts, played hard but never dirty... A very well rounded player who didn't do much great (except learn languages) but did absolutely everything at least reasonably well and had splendid intangibles. Plus, he resurrected his career here briefly and showed up in the postseason. I remember him being a master of sliding (not diving) catches. I really miss having a complete outfield!

I went with more modern guys (and i'm sure I forgot several core guys too), but who would your pick be?

Joe Saunders. Disliked McLouth. Bad arm. Did not argue his home run in Yankee Stadium Violently. 

• Haha 1

I liked Caleb Joseph. “Baby’s gotta eat” says the guy making more in one year than I will this entire decade. Nice sentiment though and always liked his personality and the fact that he was a home grown underdog type player. 

I always had a soft spot for Melvin Mora...but that probably had more to do with his playoff performance with the Mets than he did his stint with the Orioles. 

Vlad. He was over the hill in his only year here but he was so great before coming to Baltimore that it was exciting when they signed him and so was every plate appearance he took in an Orioles uniform.

• Upvote 1

Mike Devereaux. Great athlete, great attitude, great O. If I ever run into him,  first thing I'd ask him is "Mike - was that HR you hit against the Angels fair or foul?"

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Mike Devereaux. Great athlete, great attitude, great O. If I ever run into him,  first thing I'd ask him is "Mike - was that HR you hit against the Angels fair or foul?"

Devereaux was a core player in his first Orioles stint. He was the 1992 team MVP.

Early '80s: Terry Crowly, Len Sakata

'89: Steve Finley

'90s: Geronimo Berroa, Jesse Orosco.

'00s: Matos

'10s: Delmon, for that one big hit. Kim. Would Pearce count as non core?

I’m struggling with how to define “core players.”   McLouth started 125 games for the 2013 Orioles and was on the team for 1.3 seasons.    Hammel, who was mentioned in the OP, was on the team for 2 seasons and made 43 starts.    So, I assume a guy who is a key component for a year, maybe two, is a non-core player.    But maybe not if the player is as good as Nelson Cruz, who was only here for a year?  What about Eric Davis, who played 173 games for the O’s?    Or Reggie Jackson?  Rick Sutcliffe?   Do they count?

1 hour ago, weams said:

Joe Saunders. Disliked McLouth. Bad arm. Did not argue his home run in Yankee Stadium Violently. 

Fair about the arm... But we haven't had a better defensive OF since... I'd take plus speed, reads and glovework in LF with a mediocre arm over most. 

That home run though... That is a harsh critisism. He was pretty much the only guy who brought his bat to the postseason for us and throwing a tamtrum would have just got him ejected in a tight game. Would only have hurt our chances more.

1 hour ago, weams said:

It's wild that anyone could dislike McLouth.