Luke-OH

Farewell OH

Wow! Feel like I just won and lost at the same time. Best to you and of course The Orioles. Your analysis and insights will truly be missed in this forum. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

How incredibly awesome and sad at the same time.

Congrats Luke!  I can only imagine how amazing this must feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I may ask, do you have a general idea of what you’ll be doing for them, that you can tell us without giving away state secrets?   Who will you report to?

Still processing this.   Damn, I’ll miss getting your takes.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Good luck to you, Luke! We will miss you around here. I know that you'll do everything you can to help our beloved Orioles!

• Thanks 1

It always sort of felt like we were stealing when Luke chimed in with analysis. Lol. I'm super glad he's getting paid for what he does now.

He really elevated the discourse here, so that's going to be.... tough. Haha

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• In 1880 the average batting average of the 55 qualifiers was .256, and the standard deviation was 0.037. In 1893 the average was .290 and the standard was still 0.037 In 1941 the average was .282 and the standard deviation .033. In 2000 the average was .282 and the standard deviation 0.028. In 2019 the average was .272 and the standard deviation was .027. That may not seem like so much of a difference, but George Gore was 2.8 standard deviations above the (qualifier) average when he hit .360 in 1880.  Ted Williams was 3.8 when he hit .401, but he was a freak.  Tim Anderson was 2.3 last year. Since the peak of the 1990s average have fallen about 20 points, while the spread continues to tighten up as it has since the beginning of time.  As players get better the distance between best and worst gradually shrinks.  To hit .400 today a batter would be almost five standard deviations above the qualifier average.  I'm reasonably sure that's never happened.  Hugh Duffy was less than three when he hit .440 in '94.  Tony Gwynn was only at 3.48 when he hit .394 in 1994, and that was in a short season.  Just hitting .350 today is almost three standard deviations from the qualifier average.
    • Yup, I'll second that.  It's instant pain.  Then feels like you re-tear it every time you make that same move.  Torn both mine, both playing basketball, and then opted to hold off on surgery to play baseball with a brace on.  The push moves you make at 3rd are really tough on a torn ACL.
    • St. Mary's County, population about 115k, has an annual school budget of about $250M.  Or roughly comparable to the Orioles' annual revenues.
    • Malik Harrison is a good ILB prospect that could be had in the second round. I did see a mock where the Ravens traded up to 16 to get Chassion.
    • Granted, I am no scout, so take my opinions for what they are worth: nothing. That said, I tend to view Martin, Torkelson, and Hancock as similarly graded prospects. An argument could be made for either one to be considered best player in this class. All three of these players are very acceptable outcomes as far as I am concerned. Personally, Martin has the highest ceiling of all of them. With Martin... + handles the bat well + gets on base, walks a lot + doesn't strike out a lot + has a solid glove that can play multiple positions + good speed  That's a lot of quality attributes from a kid straight out of college. And Martin still has a lot of room to grow and add muscle to his frame -- I think the power will come. Martin checks most of the boxes and is exactly the type of player this organization needs -- the type of player we always lament about not having. I get that Hancock (or Lacy, if that's your preference) would be great additions and that the team could ALWAYS use more pitching, but Martin is worth bypassing the arms this year. When you factor in the volatility of pitching, give me the guy that plays every day. Just my $.02  
    • He'd be a good selection and I wouldn't be unhappy with the selection. I personally think that MLB is the largest need and has been since Mosley left. I keep reading blogs on various sites mentioning that the Ravens don't use their Linebackers as full time players. We DUH! they can't as they didn't have the personnel last year. Fort only plays about 40% of defensive snaps and they think/thought so little of Bynes & Onwausor that they let them leave for next to nothing in offers from another team. I'm calling Queen right now if he's on the board or in reach of the Ravens selection. I don't like Murray nearly as much but would probably take him at 28.
    • And they have Kyle Lloyd and Aaron Sanchez starting games for us....
  • Popular Contributors