Sign in to follow this  
WillyM

Ever hear of this penalty before?

I'm a Bills fan, and I'm still wondering about a penalty that was called at the end of the Bills' last offensive series in their game against the Texans last Saturday.

The Bills had the ball around the Houston 45 yard line, third down and ten or eleven yards to go.  Josh Allen dropped back, then started to scramble around to the right, where he had some running room.  He made it to about the 38 yard line, where he was tackled, bringing up a fourth down and about four - or so it appeared.  That would have brought up the possibility of the Bills going for it on fourth and four or trying to win the game right there with a field goal.  A field goal attempt would have been from about 55 yards, which would be about as long a field goal as Stephen Hauschka has ever kicked - but he had been having a good day, so they might have tried it.

But they couldn't, because a flag was thrown on Allen's scramble.  The Bills were called for an illegal blindside block.  Fifteen yards penalty made it third and about 25.  One play later they had to punt, and then Houston marched down the field and set up the winning score.

I've heard of holding.  I've heard of clipping.  I've heard of illegal blocks in the back.  I've heard of illegal cut blocks.  I've heard of illegal hands to the face.  I've heard of illegal contact to the head.  But the Bills blocker didn't do any of those things.  He came from the side, as a Houston guy was pursuing Allen from behind, and pushed the Houston guy off balance, to break his stride so he couldn't continue his pursuit. 

What makes it all the more frustrating is that replay showed that the Houston guy who was blocked was looking at the Bills guy who blocked him.  How can you hit a guy from the blindside when he's looking at you?

I never heard of a penalty for illegal blindside block.  Does anyone else remember having seen this call made before?

Pardon my bitterness.  I'm the type of fan who's still waiting for the umpires to reverse themselves and declare J. C. Martin out for interference in Game 4 of the 1969 World Series.  

Edited by WillyM

That call is newer, a player’s safety thing.  May have been this season when they started it.  

I’m all for player safety improvements, but it’s really difficult to understand how to play as these rules are applied so inconsistently.

7 hours ago, WillyM said:

I'm a Bills fan, and I'm still wondering about a penalty that was called at the end of the Bills' last offensive series in their game against the Texans last Saturday.

The Bills had the ball around the Houston 45 yard line, third down and ten or eleven yards to go.  Josh Allen dropped back, then started to scramble around to the right, where he had some running room.  He made it to about the 38 yard line, where he was tackled, bringing up a fourth down and about four - or so it appeared.  That would have brought up the possibility of the Bills going for it on fourth and four or trying to win the game right there with a field goal.  A field goal attempt would have been from about 55 yards, which would be about as long a field goal as Stephen Hauschka has ever kicked - but he had been having a good day, so they might have tried it.

But they couldn't, because a flag was thrown on Allen's scramble.  The Bills were called for an illegal blindside block.  Fifteen yards penalty made it third and about 25.  One play later they had to punt, and then Houston marched down the field and set up the winning score.

I've heard of holding.  I've heard of clipping.  I've heard of illegal blocks in the back.  I've heard of illegal cut blocks.  I've heard of illegal hands to the face.  I've heard of illegal contact to the head.  But the Bills blocker didn't do any of those things.  He came from the side, as a Houston guy was pursuing Allen from behind, and pushed the Houston guy off balance, to break his stride so he couldn't continue his pursuit. 

What makes it all the more frustrating is that replay showed that the Houston guy who was blocked was looking at the Bills guy who blocked him.  How can you hit a guy from the blindside when he's looking at you?

I never heard of a penalty for illegal blindside block.  Does anyone else remember having seen this call made before?

Pardon my bitterness.  I'm the type of fan who's still waiting for the umpires to reverse themselves and declare J. C. Martin out for interference in Game 4 of the 1969 World Series.  

I found that call curious too

On 1/13/2020 at 5:30 AM, VaBird1 said:

I found that call curious too

The call happens all the time in High School and recreation level ball. I have been a referee for 24 years. The call commonly happens on reverse or swing plays.