Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Greg Roman is most at fault

10 hours ago, Hallas said:

180 yards rushing?  We were also 3 scores down and our leading RB wasn't 100%...

This is utter and complete BS.  The ravens ran the ball with a RB twice in the second half.  They started the second half down 8 and got the ball first.  Gus Edward's had one rush in the second half for 1 yard.  His last rush of the first half was for 19.

Pat Ricard on the field for only 7 plays? That can’t be right. I didn’t really think about it during the game. He must have gotten hurt or something. 

34 minutes ago, wd40 said:

Pat Ricard on the field for only 7 plays? That can’t be right. I didn’t really think about it during the game. He must have gotten hurt or something. 

No, he is a fullback, they don't play much when you run the ball 9 times. 

Roman got run out of San Fran and Buffalo but magically became a genius this season. Harbaugh was on the verge of being fired last year but he too suddenly became a genius. Nope. It was all Lamar, he made them look good and then they failed him.

29 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Roman got run out of San Fran and Buffalo but magically became a genius this season. Harbaugh was on the verge of being fired last year but he too suddenly became a genius. Nope. It was all Lamar, he made them look good and then they failed him.

This isn’t entirely true. They designed the whole offense around Lamar and set him up to succeed. Why they chose to do something totally different in the playoffs is mind boggling. With that said if Lamar wasn’t the great talent that he is than the offense wouldn’t work so well.

3 hours ago, Brian88 said:

This isn’t entirely true. They designed the whole offense around Lamar and set him up to succeed. Why they chose to do something totally different in the playoffs is mind boggling. With that said if Lamar wasn’t the great talent that he is than the offense wouldn’t work so well.

Has anyone heard an interview with Harbaugh or Roman to discuss why they did that they did? They seem awful quiet!

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Has anyone heard an interview with Harbaugh or Roman to discuss why they did that they did? They seem awful quiet!

I’d imagine the questions will come up during the end of the season presser

4 hours ago, Brian88 said:

This isn’t entirely true. They designed the whole offense around Lamar and set him up to succeed.

Always found this false narrative that Harbaugh and co. pushed to be be laughable. It was like 90% the same personnel this year as last. "We built the offense around Lamar!" .. well no effing crap you're going to go run heavy/block heavy and play to Lamar's strengths. That's common sense. And then you go away from that when it matters the most. Was Roman trying to show teams he's more than just a run game guy?

On 1/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, Hallas said:

I understand why you would blame the playcalling, and at first, I would have agreed with you.  But the Ravens did everything that got them to the postseason, with only minor modifications, specifically around giving the ball to Ingram.  They ran for 185, they passed for 345, and they controlled the clock.  But when you turn the ball over 3 times, it's really hard to win unless you get some takeaways yourself.  Lamar had 3 turnovers.  One of them was on a fumble, one of them was a bad decision, one of them was bad luck on a tip.  Oh, and they allowed almost 200 yards rushing to Henry.

I would probably argue that Roman's playcalling put the team in a position to win.  It was 3 turnovers and 4 failed 4th down conversions that did us in.

I tend to agree with a lot of this.  If you exclude the  two minute drill at the end of the first half where they ran pass plays on 13 straight plays (what else would you expect in a two minute drill starting on your own five yard line), they were relatively balanced in terms or run pass ratio...up until the point they were down 28-6.  From that point on, if I counted correctly, they passed on 35 of their final 38 offensive snaps.  They were down by three scores, running wasn't going to get them back in the  game - even if the Oline wasn't getting dominated.  So sure the final play count is way out of whack.

The play calling was moving the ball...they just couldn't come up with a key play when they needed it.  Now, why they didn't use Edwards more, I can't defend that. 

I think what it really came down to was execution.  The Titans executed and played smart.  The Ravens didn't.  The Titans scored three touchdowns when they started drives at the Ravens' 45, 35, and 20 yard lines.

As for the Chief's comeback....once falling  behind 24-0 their next three drives started at the Houston 42,  33 and 6 yard lines.  They made a play on the kickoff return to start at HOU 42, but the next drive was that stupid fake punt by the Texans, and then followed that up by recovering a fumble on the ensuing kickoff.  Credit to the Chiefs players for making plays when they absolutely had to.  The Ravens just didn't when they had  to. 

2 hours ago, Finisher said:

Always found this false narrative that Harbaugh and co. pushed to be be laughable. It was like 90% the same personnel this year as last. "We built the offense around Lamar!" .. well no effing crap you're going to go run heavy/block heavy and play to Lamar's strengths. That's common sense. And then you go away from that when it matters the most. Was Roman trying to show teams he's more than just a run game guy?

Not really sure your point here. They aren’t good coaches for getting the most out of the abilities of their players? Aside from Lamar, the RBs and TEs, this offense doesn’t have much. That’s why they have to use so much motion and RPO’s and deception. Lamar makes everyone else around him better but I don’t know how the coaches don’t get some of the credit for the great regular season despite the awful coaching in the playoff game.

40 minutes ago, pbot said:

I tend to agree with a lot of this.  If you exclude the  two minute drill at the end of the first half where they ran pass plays on 13 straight plays (what else would you expect in a two minute drill starting on your own five yard line), they were relatively balanced in terms or run pass ratio...up until the point they were down 28-6.  From that point on, if I counted correctly, they passed on 35 of their final 38 offensive snaps.  They were down by three scores, running wasn't going to get them back in the  game - even if the Oline wasn't getting dominated.  So sure the final play count is way out of whack.

The play calling was moving the ball...they just couldn't come up with a key play when they needed it.  Now, why they didn't use Edwards more, I can't defend that. 

I think what it really came down to was execution.  The Titans executed and played smart.  The Ravens didn't.  The Titans scored three touchdowns when they started drives at the Ravens' 45, 35, and 20 yard lines.

As for the Chief's comeback....once falling  behind 24-0 their next three drives started at the Houston 42,  33 and 6 yard lines.  They made a play on the kickoff return to start at HOU 42, but the next drive was that stupid fake punt by the Texans, and then followed that up by recovering a fumble on the ensuing kickoff.  Credit to the Chiefs players for making plays when they absolutely had to.  The Ravens just didn't when they had  to. 

People don’t seem to realize that dropping back to pass over 70 times and having it off 9 times isn’t even close to balanced no matter how you try to twist it. Counting passing plays where Lamar takes off and runs is still a pass play. They became incredibly predictable.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Suprised to I havent heard the answers to these questions.  Metaphorically speaking, these guys made crazy money selling iPods, and then all of sudden thought it would be a good idea to switch to Zunes.

In most other businesses this would be heavily scrutinized.

52 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Suprised to I havent heard the answers to these questions.  Metaphorically speaking, these guys made crazy money selling iPods, and then all of sudden thought it would be a good idea to switch to Zunes.

In most other businesses this would be heavily scrutinized.

Seems the Baltimore media, outside of 105.7 has let them off the hook. They are too scared to get Harbaugh upset.

20 hours ago, Brian88 said:

People don’t seem to realize that dropping back to pass over 70 times and having it off 9 times isn’t even close to balanced no matter how you try to twist it. Counting passing plays where Lamar takes off and runs is still a pass play. They became incredibly predictable.

I didn't say they were balanced for the game, I said they were relatively balanced up until the point it was 28-6 halfway through the 3rd quarter.  If excluding the two minute drill where they started on their own 5 and passed on every play is twisting things, then I'm guilty I suppose. 

Looking at the gamebook pdf on NFL.com (I counted anything listed as a scramble/sack/interception as a pass), here's the breakdown of  run vs pass and the score at the start of each drive.

Drive 1 – 3 passes, 4 runs.  Score at start of drive: 0-0

Drive 2 – 2 passes, 4 runs. Score at start of drive: 7-0 Titans

Drive 3 – 3 passes.  Score at start of drive: 14-0 Titans

Drive 4 – 6 passes, 5 runs.  Score at start of drive: 14-0 Titans

Drive 5 – 13 passes.  Score at start of drive: 14-3 Titans.

Halftime

Drive 6 – 8 passes, 5 runs.  Score at start of drive: 14-6 Titans

Drive 7 – 1 sack/fumble.  Score at start of drive: 21-6 Titans

Drive 8 – 8 passes, 1 run.  Score at start of drive: 28-6 Titans

Drive 9 – 8 passes, 2 runs.  Score at start of drive: 28-6 Titans

Drive 10 – 10 passes.  Score at start of drive: 28-12 Titans

Drive 11 – 9 passes, 1 spike to stop clock.  Score at start of drive: 28-12 Titans