Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if he makes one bad thrown from left the jury will convict.

You are more critical of outfield defense than anyone. Hopefully, you will give us an unbiased opinion on Mountcastle when the time comes.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You are more critical of outfield defense than anyone. Hopefully, you will give us an unbiased opinion on Mountcastle when the time comes.

I don't think that is an accurate statement.  I can think of one poster in particular that is much more concerned about defense than I am.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.

The sound rarely lies.

If you covered up the poster's name and showed me this post I would have bet the mortgage it was from Weams.

Corn doing Weams impressions, cats sleeping with dogs, nothing makes sense anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Forget the defense for a minute.   Mancini had a 775 OPS at AAA prior to his rookie year.   Mountcastle had a 871 OPS at  AAA.   But the ball was different.   Do you think we can expect Mountcastle to hit as well has Mancini did his rookie year?

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle Age 22 season - AAA .871 OPS

Trey Mancini Age 22 season - A/A+ .735 OPS

I think there’s two issues here: short term and long term.    I would not bet on Mountcastle having as good a rookie year as Mancini, when the latter put up a 120 OPS+.   That’s a very good rookie year, and was good for 3rd in the ROY voting.   It would be asking a lot for Mountcastle to match that, and I’ll guess he falls short of that, while still holding his own and putting up a 110+.    And, he’ll be two years younger than Mancini was when he does that.

Which brings us to the long term.    I think Mountcastle has the higher ceiling, though Mancini is doing a pretty good job of maxing out on his.    I think in the long run Mountcastle will be a somewhat better hitter, which is saying something, because Mancini’s pretty damned good.    The plate discipline is an issue but I think Mountcastle will adjust at least to a reasonable degree.    

By the way, for some league context, Mancini had a .351 wOBA and 124 wRC+ in AAA, while Mountcastle had .367 and 117.     The league average was .254/.319/.378 when Mancini played at Norfolk, .266/.342/.445 when Mountcastle played there last year.   So really, they performed quite similarly if you consider league context.   

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even Johnny Damon had some assists.  I ain't impressed on a throw from shallow LF.

You should be when the bar you set was the throw making it back into the infield.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If you covered up the poster's name and showed me this post I would have bet the mortgage it was from Weams.

Corn doing Weams impressions, cats sleeping with dogs, nothing makes sense anymore.

Weams and I agree more often than you might think.

One thing we agree on is the sound.

You can't fake it.

It doesn't matter who had a better resume heading into their rookie season. Some great prospects have flamed out and some mediocre prospects have succeeded.  What matters is how his skill set and approach will fare against ML pitching. Whether pitchers can find and exploit a weakness and whether Mountcastle can adjust if and when they do.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that is an accurate statement.  I can think of one poster in particular that is much more concerned about defense than I am.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Humph...that throw was offline.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Weams and I agree more often than you might think.

One thing we agree on is the sound.

You can't fake it.

So how many times have you heard Mountcastle bat?

I’ll say this: two years ago I went to a game with hoosiers and we had really good seats close to the plate.    The O’s hit three homers in the first inning.    The one by Mancini sounded like a bomb going off.   They don’t call him “Boom Boom” for nothing.    

Just now, Frobby said:

So how many times have you heard Mountcastle bat?

I’ll say this: two years ago I went to a game with hoosiers and we had really good seats close to the plate.    The O’s hit three homers in the first inning.    The one by Mancini sounded like a bomb going off.   They don’t call him “Boom Boom” for nothing.    

I don't know, scores?  MiLB radio is a thing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Yea, seems like an administrative issue with a potential fine at most. 
    • Remember when James Franklin was supposed to be the coach in waiting then wasn't? Lord almighty the MD decision makers for sports are awful.  BTW, Tagovailoa is awful. He looks scared, unprepared, inaccurate, and has really poor decision making skills. Good Lord, this is the guy who is the best they can find with all the transfers? Nice job there Locksley.
    • I am sorry but the word Fraud here is a little strong.  There are rules on which coaches can be listed to be eligible for the MLB pension and there maybe a question whether or not his role this past season qualifies or not.  I suspect the fact there were no minor leagues and the whole COVID situation may have changed what that role end up being probably is a factor.  To me fraud would be an intention to deceive what his role was, not whether it qualifies or not.  However in the world we live in today I guess it pays to use words like fraud. It makes the story more interesting. 
    • Here's something else to consider, maybe this was part of his agreement to come over to the Orioles? Maybe Elias told him he would use him in a "hybrid" role but due to COVID, that didn't really happen this year?  Maybe Sanders was told he would be hired but not on the pension plan for this year?  I'm going to wait until all the facts come out, but this piece to me makes it sound much worse. I mean, why bring up Sanders' race? What are they trying to insinuate by doing that? That seems unfair and it's doubtful that has anything to do with the decisions that were made. Either way, Elias does not seem like a guy who is going to risk something serious for a coaches pension situation. I'll let this play out.
    • Nothing new that I am aware of.   Not sure what will happen first, streaming or the end of the MASN court case. 
    • We don't know the whole story, and most folks are 'innocent until proven guilty' types and not willing to break out the torches and pitchforks without more information.  I wish more were like that.  Anyway, there is a bunch this article doesn't tell us, other than being an obvious hit piece.  Such as 1) We don't know when this was submitted.  With the Covid changes that happened, Holt may not have been in the role he was previously envisioned and, as others mentioned, there was a plan for him to be doing stuff at both the majors and minors.  Maybe he role would have been such that it more justified such a pension plan has this pandemic never hit 2) As others stated also, the rest of the coaches on the staff already had MLB time either as a player or manager.  It's my understanding (albeit perhaps not the most informed understanding) is that if a player gets a single game at the majors, they get insurance for life and other benefits.  Perhaps all the other coaches who were not given this already had MOST of the benefits from MLB, so it made sense to let someone else have it, provided that individual was qualified under the rules 3) There has been practically NO connection between Elias and the various scandals that have taken place in the past.  At most there is speculation, but no proven connection to show that Elias is a shady character or bends the rules as he sees fit.  Looks like some folks simply want to believe he is tainted, and therefore will crucify him at the first opportunity, guilty or not. Now I'm not saying he ISN'T guilty of wrong doing.  I don't know.  But I do know there isn't nearly enough information yet for us to already proclaim him guilty and claim he got caught doing a dumb thing.  Perhaps let's wait and get a bit more facts.  Silly thought, I know.
    • The point I'm trying to make is Elias brought in all these technologies to try and get the advantage. do we just assume Yaz just outperforms his metrics? Perhaps, I don't know. I do know he has outperformed his expected stats at the major league level so far, but the EV has been pretty good.  I agree that Yaz did nothing to show what he would go on to do. I never had him on a prospect list even though at times I kinda thought he might be able to be a 4th outfielder, but every time he would come back and just not perform. Who knows, but so the only facts we have so far for Elias evaluating nearly ready talent outside of his organization (I'll include Yaz since he was so new to the org) are not positive for him and his process.  Say what you want about Duquette, but Nunez is the kind of waiver claim that has worked out well.
  • Popular Contributors