Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You don't need any looks. Just listen to milb radio and wait for the sound of the bat.  

 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think certain players hit balls that have a distinct sound off the bat?

 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Bat speed and the sweet spot of the bat should make a similar sound assuming same bat speed and same wood.  So the sound of Renato Nunez and Mountcastle should be pretty much the same under those circumstances. 

I assume the initial post was intended to be a lighthearted poke.    Obviously, some hits are louder than others, and some players make good contact more often than others.    Still, I certainly wouldn’t want to judge hitters primarily by listening to the sound of the ball on minor league radio.   It can certainly make an impression.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, feisty.   I didn’t sleep well last night.   But we are in total agreement on Mountcastle, which is not surprising since I always rely heavily on your scouting reports on players, having no scouting skills of my own and no real good looks at the player anyway.   

Been there my friend. 

As usual, the community is making a lot of good points and I understand the concerns by some. Defensively, I don't think he was challenged much in LF and we won't know for sure until we see the statcast numbers on him out there. Arm wise, he did well throwing to second and third but struggles on making the throw home which could be an issue at times. 

Saying that, I'd put him in LF once his controllability requirement is met, move Santander to RF, and Mancini to 1B. 

This would be my main defensive alingment once he's up.

1B - Mancini
2B - Alberto
SS- Iglesius
3B- Nunez/Ruiz on occasion
LF - Mountcastle
CF- Hays
RF - Santander
C - Severino/Sisco
DH - Stewart/Smith/Nunez 

In my lineup Davis would be released, but I'm starting to think this is not going to happen due to the Orioles hoping the off chance he does the right thing and retire or gets hurt and they can recoup his money through insurance.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was his lack of plate discipline which is pretty laughable given how little he said about Schoop and Jones having the same issue.

Eh. I'm not of the mind that Schoop and AJ's plate discipline issues at the majors disqualify a manager from caring about other developing players' plate discipline. I'd rather he care about one, rather than none. Further, AJ and Schoop both had clearly superior walk rates to Mountcastle during their respective minor league tenures. I'd say it's fair to put more focus on the developing guy in this case.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/adam-jones/6368/stats?position=OF

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jonathan-schoop/11265/stats?position=2B

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ryan-mountcastle/sa874734/stats?position=3B/SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things I enjoy as an OH regular is following our minor leaguers in the box scores for years, getting an impression of them from scouting reports from Tony and others (either people from OH or elsewhere), and then finally getting to see them for myself when they reach the majors and seeing how my impressions do or do not match what I see.  And there’s nothing I like better than when a player exceeds expectations.

Another thing I really enjoy is watching players who get better with experience, and overcome bumps in the road.

On both these fronts, I give you Trey Mancini.    Feast here on his final prospect ranking on OH, which ranked him no. 11 after the 2016 season.     Every strength mentioned has been confirmed, most of the questions resolved in his favor, most of the (offensive) weaknesses eliminated or at least minimized.    You just have to love what he’s been able to become:  

Let’s hope Mountcastle follows a similar trajectory.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Eh. I'm not of the mind that Schoop and AJ's plate discipline issues at the majors disqualify a manager from caring about other developing players' plate discipline. I'd rather he care about one, rather than none. Further, AJ and Schoop both had clearly superior walk rates to Mountcastle during their respective minor league tenures. I'd say it's fair to put more focus on the developing guy in this case.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/adam-jones/6368/stats?position=OF

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jonathan-schoop/11265/stats?position=2B

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ryan-mountcastle/sa874734/stats?position=3B/SS

My point was that Buck was a lot more eager to lay into his non tenured players.  Like how he got on Kim about his fitness in the media but not Tillman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of the things I enjoy as an OH regular is following our minor leaguers in the box scores for years, getting an impression of them from scouting reports from Tony and others (either people from OH or elsewhere), and then finally getting to see them for myself when they reach the majors and seeing how my impressions do or do not match what I see.  And there’s nothing I like better than when a player exceeds expectations.

Another thing I really enjoy is watching players who get better with experience, and overcome bumps in the road.

On both these fronts, I give you Trey Mancini.    Feast here on his final prospect ranking on OH, which ranked him no. 11 after the 2016 season.     Every strength mentioned has been confirmed, most of the questions resolved in his favor, most of the (offensive) weaknesses eliminated or at least minimized.    You just have to love what he’s been able to become:  

Let’s hope Mountcastle follows a similar trajectory.   

Mancini has off the charts baseball IQ that allows him to maximize his abilities. He really has one of the best plans at the plate that I've seen from an Orioles prospect, maybe ever. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Been there my friend. 

As usual, the community is making a lot of good points and I understand the concerns by some. Defensively, I don't think he was challenged much in LF and we won't know for sure until we see the statcast numbers on him out there. Arm wise, he did well throwing to second and third but struggles on making the throw home which could be an issue at times. 

Saying that, I'd put him in LF once his controllability requirement is met, move Santander to RF, and Mancini to 1B. 

This would be my main defensive alingment once he's up.

1B - Mancini
2B - Alberto
SS- Iglesius
3B- Nunez/Ruiz on occasion
LF - Mountcastle
CF- Hays
RF - Santander
C - Severino/Sisco
DH - Stewart/Smith/Nunez 

In my lineup Davis would be released, but I'm starting to think this is not going to happen due to the Orioles hoping the off chance he does the right thing and retire or gets hurt and they can recoup his money through insurance.

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is no use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

When he is recalled in late April Davis will have had his chance to play 1B and his bat will probably not have improved enough to hold the 1B job.  Mountcastle will take over 1B.  

That makes Santander the LF,  Mancini the RF and Nunez the DH.  Davis to the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Mancini has off the charts baseball IQ that allows him to maximize his abilities. He really has one of the best plans at the plate that I've seen from an Orioles prospect, maybe ever. 

Yeah, and that’s just not something I’d read about him in the minors.    It seems like something he developed over time.    And honestly, Hyde thinks he can take it even further and I’m hopeful that proves to be true.    

So right now, Mountcastle’s plan is “see ball, hit ball if I can reach it.”    He’s able to execute that plan most of the time.   But hopefully he develops a more nuanced plan as he matures.    It will be fun to watch and see what happens.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is no use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

When he is recalled in late April Davis will have had his chance to play 1B and his bat will probably not have improved enough to hold the 1B job.  Mountcastle will take over 1B.  

That makes Santander the LF,  Mancini the RF and Nunez the DH.  Davis to the bench.

I liked what I saw from Santander last year, but he slumped towards the end and for me he’s still on trial as to whether he’s an everyday OF.     And, we need to see how Diaz progresses this year.    So, while I’d prefer these two to Mountcastle as corner OF’s defensively, we’ll just have to see how it goes.   

As to Mountcastle defensively, I’ve got a pretty open mind.     He’s barely played out there, so we’ll see how that goes.   I do think he’ll continue to get reps out there because we can’t be sure about the other corner OF candidates at this stage.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is not use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

When he is recalled in late April Davis will have had his chance to play 1B and his bat will probably not have improved enough to hold the 1B job.  Mountcastle will take over 1B.  

That makes Santander the LF,  Mancini the RF and Nunez the DH.  Davis to the bench.

Do you think it is a good idea to base development decisions of a player based on projection of another player who is a level behind and older?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Do you think it is a good idea to base development decisions of a player based on projection of another player who is a level behind and older?

I think its smart to use whatever comps are available and to get as many opinions as possible which is why I asked the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think its smart to use whatever comps are available and to get as many opinions as possible which is why I asked the question.

There wasn't a question in your post, which said there was no use to work Mountcastle into the outfield, because Diaz was coming up next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I liked what I saw from Santander last year, but he slumped towards the end and for me he’s still on trial as to whether he’s an everyday OF.     And, we need to see how Diaz progresses this year.    So, while I’d prefer these two to Mountcastle as corner OF’s defensively, we’ll just have to see how it goes.   

As to Mountcastle defensively, I’ve got a pretty open mind.     He’s barely played out there, so we’ll see how that goes.   I do think he’ll continue to get reps out there because we can’t be sure about the other corner OF candidates at this stage.   
 

You are generally pretty careful about your opinions.  Basically it seems you would rather wait than make a prediction.  Which is fine.    

The O's are going to have to make a decision on how to use Mountcastle defensively.    Hyde likes to play players all over which is what he may do with no pressure to win.    

Personally I just don't see a reason to switch Mountcastle to the outfield with the number of choice the O's have out there.   Not if he can play an average 1B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

There wasn't a question in your post, which said there was no use to work Mountcastle into the outfield, because Diaz was coming up next year.

I think he misunderstood you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mountcastle starts out in AAA until we gain the extra year of control.  After that, I think things work themselves out with who are COFs, 1B, and DH are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...