Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

21 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

There wasn't a question in your post, which said there was no use to work Mountcastle into the outfield, because Diaz was coming up next year.

Yet I got a bunch of opinions.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yet I got a bunch of opinions.

You clearly aren’t following what DirtyBird is talking about.    His comment was not about the OP.    His comment was about your opinion that Mountcastle shouldn’t play OF because we have other possible options, including possibly Diaz in a year.   And he’s asking you whether you think it makes sense to plan Mountcastle’s development based on the possibility that another player who is a year older and a level behind (meaning Diaz) may be up here in a year.   

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

You are generally pretty careful about your opinions.  Basically it seems you would rather wait than make a prediction.  Which is fine.    

The O's are going to have to make a decision on how to use Mountcastle defensively.    Hyde likes to play players all over which is what he may do with no pressure to win.    

Personally I just don't see a reason to switch Mountcastle to the outfield with the number of choice the O's have out there.   Not if he can play an average 1B.

IF Mountcastle can play an average 1B, you almost have to wonder he didn't finish the season getting more reps there instead of LF.   Versatility is great but if they see him as an everyday player, with Mancini on the trade block this year or next and Davis eventually being phased out, he would make the most sense at 1B.    You have to wonder if the O's were down on his play at 1B in Norfolk.     With Stewart, Diaz, Santander, and to a lesser extent, McKenna and Mullins, it seems like we have plenty of OF candidates. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

IF Mountcastle can play an average 1B, you almost have to wonder he didn't finish the season getting more reps there instead of LF.   Versatility is great but if they see him as an everyday player, with Mancini on the trade block this year or next and Davis eventually being phased out, he would make the most sense at 1B.    You have to wonder if the O's were down on his play at 1B in Norfolk.     With Stewart, Diaz, Santander, and to a lesser extent, McKenna and Mullins, it seems like we have plenty of OF candidates. 

I would think that means they have hope he can be a decent left fielder based on what they saw.

You don't move a young player "down" on the defensive spectrum until he has proven he can't handle the tougher position.  It lessens his options and his value.

Until you are in a major league crowded-roster situation where it's necessary, you don't move guys because of abundance either.   It's very possible that none of the five guys you mention will hit nearly as well as Mountcastle, so worrying about a future crowd in the outfield is premature.   Deal with it when it is necessary.

The O's didn't move Manny off short until they had to at the major league level to accomodate him.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You clearly aren’t following what DirtyBird is talking about.    His comment was not about the OP.    His comment was about your opinion that Mountcastle shouldn’t play OF because we have other possible options, including possibly Diaz in a year.   And he’s asking you whether you think it makes sense to plan Mountcastle’s development based on the possibility that another player who is a year older and a level behind (meaning Diaz) may be up here in a year.   

4 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

I would love to see what he could do over there at 2nd base. 
His bat would possibly be elite for a 2nd baseman. 

Yes, but I don't believe he has the range or the arm (yes a good arm comes in handy even at 2B.  Just ask Jon Schoop) for 2B.     His bat would be very intriguing at 2B.   There must be a reason why they haven't tried him there.    I would lean towards playing Mountcastle at 1B if he's adequate there and that would be influence by other players coming up through the system.   If I thought he would be an average LF defensively or even slightly below, I'd be more ok with the LF thing.    It will take awhile to form an opinion on his outfield play but my gut feeling is that he won't be very good out there.   He's no speedster and he's getting bigger and we know the arm is below average.   He also has no experience out there but a lot of it comes down to natural instincts and that has yet to be seen one way or the other.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I look at this another way.    I think Mountcastle will show in ST that he is about as slow as Mancini in the outfield and has less experience.   With Diaz coming in a year which will make the outfield Santander/Hays/ Diaz  there is no use to go through the pain of trying to make Mountcastle into an outfielder.  Therefore when he is sent to AAA he will be a full time 1B.

I think you are mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would think that means they have hope he can be a decent left fielder based on what they saw.

You don't move a young player "down" on the defensive spectrum until he has proven he can't handle the tougher position.  It lessens his options and his value.

Until you are in a major league crowded-roster situation where it's necessary, you don't move guys because of abundance either.   It's very possible that none of the five guys you mention will hit nearly as well as Mountcastle, so worrying about a future crowd in the outfield is premature.   Deal with it when it is necessary.

The O's didn't move Manny off short until they had to at the major league level to accomodate him.

Do we agree that LF is down on the spectrum from 1B?    I would think an average fielding 1B has more value than an average fielding LF but maybe I'm wrong.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Do we agree that LF is down on the spectrum from 1B?    I would think an average fielding 1B has more value than an average fielding LF but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't agree.  1B is only a step up from DH.

Something like C-SS-CF-3B-2B-RF-LF-1B-DH.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought someone would come up with something a little more definitive than an opinion.   Don't the experts rank the positions in importance of order?   Not that your'e not an expert (haha) but your post didn't sound that way.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This.   Could quibble about 3B vs 2B maybe.

Defensive spectrum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
40px-Ambox_important.svg.png

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (December 2012)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2012)

In sabermetrics, the defensive spectrum is the graphical representation of the positions on a baseball field, arranged from left (the easiest defensive positions) to right (the hardest). Most people say that catcher is the hardest position to play because a catcher has many responsibilities. A catcher has to watch the runners, make sure no one is going to steal, squat for 2-5 hours a game, and has to make the right calls for what pitch the pitcher should throw.

The spectrum

The defensive spectrum is:

Designated hitterFirst basemanLeft fielderRight fielderThird basemanCenter fielderSecond basemanShortstopCatcherPitcher

In some versions of the defensive spectrum, pitcher and catcher are not included, since certain defensive demands of those positions are so specialized as to be inapplicable to players at other positions. The designated hitter is sometimes omitted since he is technically not part of the "defense" at all.

As an example of the concept in action, players who are drafted by Major League Baseball teams as shortstops are far more likely to ultimately end up at a different position than players who are drafted as first basemen.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I thought someone would come up with something a little more definitive than an opinion.   Don't the experts rank the positions in importance of order?   Not that your'e not an expert (haha) but your post didn't sound that way.

It does exist but I'm kinda busy and didn't feel like looking for it.  😊

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It does exist but I'm kinda busy and didn't feel like looking for it.  😊

Okay.  According to Fangraphs, I think you guys are right.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/war/positional-adjustment/

You would think that the former SS-3B would have an easier time adjusting to 1B than LF and would hurt you less at 1B but whatever.

Per BBREF:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_position.shtml

Current values (per 1350 (150*9) innings played) are:

1. 😄 +9 runs 
  2. SS: +7 runs
  3. 2B: +3 runs
  4. CF: +2.5 runs
  5. 3B: +2 runs
  6. RF: -7 runs
  7. LF: -7 runs
  8. 1B: -9.5 runs
  9. DH: -15 runs

Edit:  The smiley face is C, but I have no idea why it changed to a smiley face and I can't edit it.  Weird.