Frobby

Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 1/20/2020 at 20:32

What I'm anxious to see is how much the power numbers drop for the Astro players this season. 

I bet it will be more than you think;

Altuve 2012 7 HRs, 2013 5 HRs, 2014 7 HRs, 2015 15 HRs, 2016 24 GRs, 2017 24 HRs, 2018 13 HRs and 2019 31 HRs

Springer 2015 16 HRs, 2016 29 HRs, 2017 34 HRs, 2018 22 HRs and 2019 39 HRs

Bregman 2016 8 HRs, 2017 19 HRs, 2018 31 HRs and 2019 41 HRs

Yurriel     2017 18 HRs, 2018 13 HRs and 2019 31 HRs

All of these players benefitted from the cheating and why are they only limiting it to 2017? I think they've been cheating for 4 years.

I'll go on record right now that none of the above players will hit over 20 HRS.

I like how Manfred haste ability to increase suspension time for hitting a batter but can’t suspend players who cheated.

7 hours ago, atomic said:

90 plus percent of the guys were on steroids.  The guys not using steroids were stuck in the minor leagues. 

I don’t think it was close to 90%.     But it was certainly a high enough percentage where you could never sort it out and punish sone teams and not others.  

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:I don’t think it was close to 90%.     But it was certainly a high enough percentage where you could never sort it out and punish sone teams and not others.  

Most everyone on the Orioles was.  Canseco said it was 80 percent and he was the one guy I would believe.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

Most everyone on the Orioles was.  Canseco said it was 80 percent and he was the one guy I would believe.

Nobody knows.    

It is impossible to know exactly what percentage of major league players actually have used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances. Estimates of steroid use have varied wildly. Jose Canseco estimated that 85% of major leaguers were also using steroids. Ken Caminitiestimated that 50% of players were using steroids, but later retracted that claim and said that the number was lower. MLB's survey testing indicated a usage rate of 5-7%, but those numbers are unlikely to be reliable. They may be skewed by the ease of evading MLB's testing and the much publicized decision by some players to refuse testing and be counted as positive in order to drive up the positive rate as a way of forcing full-scale testing.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Steroids

10 hours ago, atomic said:

To be fair, if Canseco saw a 25 man roster and knew 14 guys were doping, do you think he could do the math or just say it’s 80%?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

To be fair, if Canseco saw a 25 man roster and knew 14 guys were doping, do you think he could do the math or just say it’s 80%?

Canseco had every reason to estimate on the high side, as he was trying to excuse his own behavior with the classic “everyone else was doing it” excuse.     Well, it turns out a lot of players were doing it, and he was far from the only one. But I do think he was an early adapter and that there were plenty of guys who weren’t using steroids.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Canseco had every reason to estimate on the high side, as he was trying to excuse his own behavior with the classic “everyone else was doing it” excuse.     Well, it turns out a lot of players were doing it, and he was far from the only one. But I do think he was an early adapter and that there were plenty of guys who weren’t using steroids.

Guys were using decades before Conseco showed up.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That isn't true at all. Canseco was always honest about steroid use way before anyone became concerned about it.  He did not try anto d excuse anything.  Like I said he is the most believable person in the steroids. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys were using decades before Conseco showed up.

I know that.    But I believe it was a pretty small percentage in the pre-Canseco period and became much more prevalent over the course of his career.   So, I still consider him an early adapter in that sense.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know that.    But I believe it was a pretty small percentage in the pre-Canseco period and became much more prevalent over the course of his career.   So, I still consider him an early adapter in that sense.   

Tom House's comments don't make it sound like a small percentage.

55 minutes ago, atomic said:

That isn't true at all. Canseco was always honest about steroid use way before anyone became concerned about it.  He did not try anto d excuse anything.  Like I said he is the most believable person in the steroids. 

Not really.    So far as I know, Canseco never once admitted to using steroids until 2005, four years after he retired and in the process of trying to sell a book.    Caminiti had admitted his steroid use in 2002, in a Sports Illustrated article.    

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really.    So far as I know, Canseco never once admitted to using steroids until 2005, four years after he retired and in the process of trying to sell a book.    Caminiti had admitted his steroid use in 2002, in a Sports Illustrated article.    

Canseco bragged about walking past players working out with weights in team training room and laughing at them for wasting their time when they could just be taking steroids. I  hardly think he ever tried to make himself look less bad by saying other people were using too. And he actually named names of players on the Athletic's who were also using steroids who all denied it.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tom House's comments don't make it sound like a small percentage.

He took back some of what he said specifically about steroids.   

Former major-league pitcher Tom House now says he misspoke when he estimated a half-dozen pitchers on every team experimented with steroids or human growth hormone in the 1960s and 1970s. House said he meant to say those players used amphetamines.``It was my fault. Maybe I wasn't saying what I thought I was saying,'' he told the Associated Press on Thursday, referring to the interview that appeared in Tuesday's San Francisco Chronicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-05-04-0505040195-story,amp.html

He certainly did state that certain players including himself tried steroids.    

It remains my impression that steroid use became far more common during the period in which Canseco played, and that he was at the start of that wave.