Jump to content
Frobby

Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 1/20/2020 at 20:32

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still not clear on the logic.  Too many players cheated the one way so we can't ban them but a fewer number cheated the other so we can?

How is that fair?

It's the same cheat.  That is like arresting folks that smoke heroin but not those that shoot up.

Because MLB is not going to suspend 20 or more players for a season. They can make an example of the few and try to detsr it somewhat.Like everyone is speeding on the highway but few get pulled over by the police.Some will get away with it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Going Underground said:

Because MLB is not going to suspend 20 or more players for a season. They can make an example of the few and try to detsr it somewhat.Like everyone is speeding on the highway but few get pulled over by the police.Some will get away with it.

I can't agree.  They did the same thing they just used a different method.  You can't prosecute one and not the other.  Also the MLBPA would rightfully throw a fit.

What you are talking about is pulling over motorcycles that speed but not cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not in favor of airbrushing out history.  The titles happened.  You can't pretend that they didn't.  I was at a 2004 game at FedEx where USC beat Virginia Tech.  For some reason they get to keep that win, but not several others from that season and the next.  Nevertheless, all those games happened, millions of people saw them, and it's silly to play make-believe they didn't.  

I used to think that too, particularly when talking about the vacated wins from USC, but as I've gotten older I realize that it does have an effect; can't display trophies, can put it on banners, can't say "10x bowl winner" (or whatever number), can't use when marketing the school, players can't say they won it. It's not an insignificant penalty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

folks want to burn the Astros not because they were cheating but because they were better at cheating.  Teams have cheated since day one.

Evidently not better at cheating. The best cheaters don't get caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Evidently not better at cheating. The best cheaters don't get caught.

Yeah banging on trash cans. How clever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't agree.  They did the same thing they just used a different method.  You can't prosecute one and not the other.  Also the MLBPA would rightfully throw a fit.

What you are talking about is pulling over motorcycles that speed but not cars.

Actually speeding is a good analogy.   Typically, at least 80% of the cars on an open road with low traffic in good weather, are in fact breaking the speed limit.   They don't pull them all over, just enough of the egregious ones to send a message that you've got a chance of getting pulled over if you break the law.

As you are being pulled over for going 74 in a 60 and the cop is at your window and a car goes by doing 79, try telling the cop it's not fair and see how far that gets you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Evidently not better at cheating. The best cheaters don't get caught.

Better as in more efficient.  Hard to keep folks from talking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Actually speeding is a good analogy.   Typically, at least 80% of the cars on an open road with low traffic in good weather, are in fact breaking the speed limit.   They don't pull them all over, just enough of the egregious ones to send a message that you've got a chance of getting pulled over if you break the law.

As you are being pulled over for going 74 in a 60 and the cop is at your window and a car goes by doing 79, try telling the cop it's not fair and see how far that gets you.

Going Underground didn't say it was more egregious, just that it was a smaller number.  So I'm sticking with the idea that he is talking about pulling over speeding motorcycles and not cars.  How well would that work?

 

I'm also at a loss how it is more egregious to cheat via tactile sensation instead of auditory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What you call a pittance is the maximum amount allowed.

We all know they could not be fined more based on existing agreements.  That's not the point some of us are making.  The point is, that maximum is a joke.  These are billionaire owners with teams that make enormous profits each year.  $5M is nothing to them and does not punish or dissuade anything.

Would you care about a speeding ticket if doing 90 in a 55 cost you $3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What you are talking about is pulling over motorcycles that speed but not cars.

Don't think it doesn't happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Where was it written in the MLBs official rules that you couldn't use cameras to steal signs?

I'm interested in the answer to this question, because I don't think it was. It was in the March 27, 2018 memo from Manfred, but well after the 2017 World Series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I'm interested in the answer to this question, because I don't think it was. It was in the March 27, 2018 memo from Manfred, but well after the 2017 World Series. 

I thought it was in the Sept 2017 memo???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't agree.  They did the same thing they just used a different method.  You can't prosecute one and not the other.  Also the MLBPA would rightfully throw a fit.

What you are talking about is pulling over motorcycles that speed but not cars.

MLB is a company. They don't "prosecute." They issue punishments as they see fit, based on internal rules and agreements.

This isn't like pulling over only motorcycles, only cars, or only cans of corn. MLB isn't a police department. Manfred's job is to look out for the best interests of the owners of MLB teams. That's why he let Crane off the hook, punished Luhnow and Hinch to send a message and satisfy the public, and let the players off the hook because it would have been chaos to suspend them.

Manfred made the best move for MLB. That's his job. It isn't about being fair. It's about what course of action sells the most tickets in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

MLB is a company. They don't "prosecute." They issue punishments as they see fit, based on internal rules and agreements.

This isn't like pulling over only motorcycles, only cars, or only cans of corn. MLB isn't a police department. Manfred's job is to look out for the best interests of the owners of MLB teams. That's why he let Crane off the hook, punished Luhnow and Hinch to send a message and satisfy the public, and let the players off the hook because it would have been chaos to suspend them.

Manfred made the best move for MLB. That's his job. It isn't about being fair. It's about what course of action sells the most tickets in 2020.

The players have a union.  Good luck getting the union to agree to punish players that cheated using buzzers but not players who listened for cues.

Also good luck getting the punishments past any sort of unbiased arbiter.

 

BTW Manfred's job is to make the best moves for the owners, not MLB as a whole.  Never forget that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...