Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MDtransplant757

MLB Pipeline Orioles Prospect ratings

Recommended Posts

So far, only the top 10 RHP's according to pipeline have been released, with most of the lists being out by mid february. Grayson Rodriguez is at number 10 right now on the top 10 RHP's list, behind Casey Mize (Detroit), Nate Pearson (Jays), Forrest Whitley (Astros), Michael Kopech (White sox), Sixto Sanchez (Marlins), Dustin May (Dodgers), Matt Manning (tigers), Luis Patino (Padres) and Spencer Howard (Phillies). Grayson grades out overall as a 55, but that could potentially go up as he advances through the minors. I like pipeline as it doesn't hurt to have different opinions on prospects and the presentation and ease of use of the website helps out too. 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2020/?list=rhp

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top 10 LHP list is up, and DL Hall sits at number 10 with a grade of 55. Not much new information here, the blurb on him mentions that he has been treated with kid gloves, which is definitely true.

Looking at his game log though, the Orioles definitely seemed to push him a little more in the second half of 2019. Prior to July 1st, he didn't throw more than 90 pitches a single time, and only topped 80 pitches in 5 of his 11 non rain-shortened starts. From July 1st onward, he threw 90 pitches in 5 of his last 6 starts, throwing 99 pitches in his last game of the season. Not surprisingly, those included the only three games of the season where he recorded an out in the 6th inning, where he completed 6 twice, and went 5 and 2/3rds in another start.

Hopefully 90+ pitches will be the norm in AA and he is able to cut down on his walks to regularly pitch into the 6th and 7th. Looking forward to catching some of his starts this year in Bowie!

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarik Skubal with 17.4 K/9 in AA as a 22 year old. :old5fan:

Former 9th rd pick.

It looks like we’re one of three teams to have a top 10 righty and lefty, along with Detroit and San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Tarik Skubal with 17.4 K/9 in AA as a 22 year old. :old5fan:

Former 9th rd pick.

It looks like we’re one of three teams to have a top 10 righty and lefty, along with Detroit and San Diego.

We will have a top ten guy at the next two positions as well as catcher and 1st are the next two positions revealed. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We will have a top ten guy at the next two positions as well as catcher and 1st are the next two positions revealed. 

I wouldn’t be sure they regard Mountcastle as a top 10 guy at 1B, though they might.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I'd take Hall over Liberatore.

What are your reasons?     I think most lists I’ve seen rank Liberatore higher.   

I was just looking at the midseason top 100 list for which MurpgDogg posted a link.    On that list, Liberatore was ranked 41st (4th among LHP) and Hall was ranked 60th (7th among LHP).     Since then, three pitchers have leapfrogged Hall: Skabol (moving from 9th to 4th among LHP),  Lynch (staying at 8th but moving in front of Hall) and Marquez (unlisted before but now 9th).     
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What are your reasons?     I think most lists I’ve seen rank Liberatore higher.   

I was just looking at the midseason top 100 list for which MurpgDogg posted a link.    On that list, Liberatore was ranked 41st (4th among LHP) and Hall was ranked 60th (7th among LHP).     Since then, three pitchers have leapfrogged Hall: Skabol (moving from 9th to 4th among LHP),  Lynch (staying at 8th but moving in front of Hall) and Marquez (unlisted before but now 9th).     
 

Fangraphs had Liberatore 63rd and Hall 66th on their updated 2019 list, so they’re really close.

I like Hall’s strikeouts and I think Hall’s 2018 season was better than Liberatore’s 2019 season at the same age and level.  If Hall can improve his command (I know, easier said than done), his upside is much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Fangraphs had Liberatore 63rd and Hall 66th on their updated 2019 list, so they’re really close.

I like Hall’s strikeouts and I think Hall’s 2018 season was better than Liberatore’s 2019 season at the same age and level.  If Hall can improve his command (I know, easier said than done), his upside is much higher.

Let me make clear, I don’t believe that any of these lists are to be slavishly followed.   And I have no independent opinion on who should be more highly ranked.    I was just curious about your reasons.    Thanks for answering.   

I think this is an important year for Hall.   In recent years, we’ve seen a good number of Orioles pitching prospects transition very successfully from Hi A to AA, often improving their numbers in the process due to a more favorable pitching environment.     Just look at last year’s Bowie staff and you’ll see what I mean.   I think Hall needs to make the same successful transition to retain or improve his lofty ranking.   
 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let me make clear, I don’t believe that any of these lists are to be slavishly followed.   And I have no independent opinion on who should be more highly ranked.    I was just curious about your reasons.    Thanks for answering.   

I think this is an important year for Hall.   In recent years, we’ve seen a good number of Orioles pitching prospects transition very successfully from Hi A to AA, often improving their numbers in the process due to a more favorable pitching environment.     Just look at last year’s Bowie staff and you’ll see what I mean.   I think Hall needs to make the same successful transition to retain or improve his lofty ranking.   
 

They shouldn't, but like most stats sites, they're tools. I like the top 100 in terms of draft, gives us an idea along with Fangraphs who the orioles might draft and whose in the wheelhouse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...