Frobby

Buck interviewing for Astros job

2 minutes ago, weams said:

It will never be forgotten. 

Notice they haven't punished the Red Sox yet?

I'm betting MLB and the Red Sox got together and canned Cora so they could try and do the slow fade on the Red Sox getting caught cheating again.

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Manny was flashy, but I never got the sense that he was much of a talker. And even if he was unless Buck spoke Spanish he probably didn't understand half of what he said. 

What a stupid comment.  Manny was born in Miami and spoke fluent English.

Just now, NCRaven said:

I never said he wasn't fluent in English, but I think you're being pretty naive if you think he didn't speak Spanish with the other Latino players in the clubhouse. Either way Manny (in English or Spanish) wasn't nearly as outspoken as Alex Bregman is. 

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Notice they haven't punished the Red Sox yet?

I'm betting MLB and the Red Sox got together and canned Cora so they could try and do the slow fade on the Red Sox getting caught cheating again.

justD and I were discussing that, Today.  I think that is awful if it turns that way. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure how Buck could handle a prima donna jerk.

Manny+Machado+89th+MLB+Star+Game+Present

He and his brother-in-law were courtside at the Virginia Tech/Miami game last night along with a few hundred others in attendance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Being fluent isn’t the same as being a good talker, or even a frequent talker.

8 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Manny was flashy, but I never got the sense that he was much of a talker. And even if he was unless Buck spoke Spanish he probably didn't understand half of what he said. Bregman has one of the worst cases of little man complex I've seen in a baseball player in quite awhile.

In terms of being controversial, I think Manny easily has Bregman beat. Remember it was just last offseason that Manny was basically Public Enemy #1 in baseball after all his postseason shenanigans (tripping/stepping on people, etc.) and his "I'm not Johnny Hustle" comments. Bregman is outspoken, but he hasn't built up as negative a reputation as Manny.

If Buck could get along with Manny -- and he did -- then he could certainly do the same with Bregman. I guess it's a moot point now, though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• This is mostly where I am. I think we will see Martin taken. He is the best player available. His bat will play anywhere. If he was a legit proven SS, he would likely not be available at #2. I would play it safe and take Martin The Boras factor certainly is in play. Perhaps they are trying to save as much of the slot as they can for picks 30/39, which, in my opinion, are huge in this draft. Even if this speculation saves 300-500k from the #2 pick, it is worth it. There may certainly be some serious HS talent there, and it will not come cheap. Then they could maybe go underslot at rounds 3/4/5.  Zac Veen, however, may end up being much more athletic than most think. He is still growing and developing. When he gets more coordinated and comfortable in his own body, and gets stronger, I can see the Bellinger comps. He is fluid and loose, just needs to add more strength and explosiveness with training and nutrition. If Elias goes this route, it is risky, sure. But I won’t be upset with it if he saves some money and takes top sliding talents with 30/39. 
    • Just found out about this conflict, but I can say that only a person of minimal intelligence equates what Delmon Young did and what Akin did. Look up what Delmon young did, and not just once, and if you think they are in anyways similar, well then... This is an incredible mountain being made over an incredible mole hill.
    • Don't overthink it.   Martin.  Torkelson if Martin somehow goes first.    I think they are just negotiating whether directly or indirectly by suggesting the underslot scenario.  If Martin drops down a spot or two he loses money.   So having him think that they are trying to save some money on the #2 slot.   Just my guess and hope.   Lacy sounds good but there is so much risk on pitcher's health and the control is not A+.   I wouldn't hate Lacy at #2 but I'm not for it.   The HS OF is a corner guy so it's all about the bat.  Martin is more proven and can likely play 3B, 2B or CF.    Martin seems like a no brainer to me if he's there.   He would be a complete no brainer if he was a SS.  Semi no brainer at 2B.   Even at 3B or CF, his overall games seems to be the best of anyone, HS or college.   
    • I’m usually very against that strategy on principle but.... dang Correa and McCullers? I’d say it worked that time. Totally depends on the evaluation of the players considered. Looking at the 2012 draft, I remember Buxton being pretty clearly the consensus top guy and taking Correa was a gutsy pick.    I’m going to trust Elias no matter what, but I’d be much happier with Martin. Hopefully he’s seeing the Bregman comps, too. 
    • That is exactly who I thought of.  Too bad he couldnt figure things out. * Never mind, he did figure things out.  Last year he slashed .363/.449/.617 for an OPS of 1.066! with 22 HRs but only 3 stolen bases but then again he is 34 years old and it was in Mexico  
    • And back off the internet I go.No honest discussions about things anymore.People don't even use factual data.Good luck everyone. 
  • Popular Contributors