Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
atomic

Astrogate reminds me of Ray a Rice situation

Recommended Posts

NFL have Ray Rice a slap on the wrist and then whole thing blew up.  
 

Manfred really screwed up by not punishing the owner or the players. Even the GM and manager got only a 9 month suspension while lying their butts off.  Every team in the league knew the Astros were cheaters but their GM didn’t know?  BS. 
 

Now it has spread to Red Sox and Beltran. This stuff is not going to stop coming.  Manfred better reverse course or he needs to be replaced.

Find out about what the Astro players did after mid season 2018 and charge them with collusion to stop the investigation suspend some players and ban some people for life.  Make the owner sell the team. 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

We talking about Osuna here?????

Who can tell? I think it is weirdly comparing the non-violent actions of the Astros to Rice's physical assault. But how creepy  is that?

 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

NFL have Ray Rice a slap on the wrist and then whole thing blew up.  
 

Manfred really screwed up by not punishing the owner or the players. Even the GM and manager got only a 9 month suspension while lying their butts off.  Every team in the league knew the Astros were cheaters but their GM didn’t know?  BS. 
 

Now it has spread to Red Sox and Beltran. This stuff is not going to stop coming.  Manfred better reverse course or he needs to be replaced.

Find out about what the Astro players did after mid season 2018 and charge them with collusion to stop the investigation suspend some players and ban some people for life.  Make the owner sell the team. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, backwardsk said:

We talking about Osuna here?????

No I am talking about how the MLB didn't see the serious of the situation and now the situation has gotten out of control from the backlash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@atomic  It doesn’t remind you of spygate in the NFL?  You’re even calling it Astrogate. 

Nope.  There was no huge backlash against the severity of the punishment in spygate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Nope.  There was no huge backlash against the severity of the punishment in spygate. 

Are you sure about that?  There was a ton of backlash then. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Can you please not add "-gate" to every controversy. It makes no sense. Watergate was not a controversy about water. The word gate does not mean controversy or scandal. It was borderline creative the first 100 times it was used, but has been more-than played out.

(Stepping down from the podium)

I don't think there is much either you or I can do about that.  It is part of American culture now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure the comparison is particularly apt. 

The Ray Rice situation was a bit messier (just in terms of how the respective leagues handled it; not getting into what he did or the video showed) in that it involved off-field conduct for which there was not clear precedent in past punishments (or lack thereof) or within the CBA on how to handle. 

This is a bit cleaner from a league discipline perspective as it's cheating during an actual game(s) and there were in-place mechanisms used to punish (i.e., docking draft picks, max fine of $5MM, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure the comparison is particularly apt. 

The Ray Rice situation was a bit messier (just in terms of how the respective leagues handled it; not getting into what he did or the video showed) in that it involved off-field conduct for which there was not clear precedent in past punishments (or lack thereof) or within the CBA on how to handle. 

This is a bit cleaner from a league discipline perspective as it's cheating during an actual game(s) and there were in-place mechanisms used to punish (i.e., docking draft picks, max fine of $5MM, etc.).

I think there is one part of the comparison that is apt.

The incident occurred in February, there was a minor penalty issued and no one thought that much more about it.   It wasn't until the VIDEO came out in September that public sentiment exploded and the NFL and the Ravens had to do more.

What the Cowboy LB, and the Cincinnati RB when he played at Oklahoma, did was every bit as bad as what Rice did, but there hasn't been quite as much of a public outcry because there's no video of it.   That's not logical, that's emotional.

And I think it seems similar with the buzzer thing.   I know a lot of people who were mildly upset when it was whistles and trash can banging, but see the buzzer as being somehow worse.   Logically it isn't any worse, it's basically the same thing, but it certainly seems to invoke a stronger emotional reaction.

Human beings aren't always rational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I think there is one part of the comparison that is apt.

The incident occurred in February, there was a minor penalty issued and no one thought that much more about it.   It wasn't until the VIDEO came out in September that public sentiment exploded and the NFL and the Ravens had to do more.

What the Cowboy LB, and the Cincinnati RB when he played at Oklahoma, did was every bit as bad as what Rice did, but there hasn't been quite as much of a public outcry because there's no video of it.   That's not logical, that's emotional.

And I think it seems similar with the buzzer thing.   I know a lot of people who were mildly upset when it was whistles and trash can banging, but see the buzzer as being somehow worse.   Logically it isn't any worse, it's basically the same thing, but it certainly seems to invoke a stronger emotional reaction.

Human beings aren't always rational.

If you're talking about Mixon, there was a video.  He was suspended in college and (if memory serves...) public opinion was more along the lines of he had served his time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

If you're talking about Mixon, there was a video.  He was suspended in college and (if memory serves...) public opinion was more along the lines of he had served his time.

Yeah, I was, didn't realize.   Thanks for the correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...