Sign in to follow this  
jrobb21613

Brock Holt anyone?

Would love to see us sign Holt. Solid glove, can play third, hits for a good avg and gets on base at a pretty high clip.

I can’t see him cost much more than 3 million so he comes rather inexpensive. 

Has anyone heard any chatter of him being linked to us? 

Better than Stevie Wilkerson, but I would be surprised if they were willing to spend the money for that type of player. He makes more sense for a team that is going for it this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Iglesias can provide future help as well as current help. Does Holt offer the same? I don’t recall him being much of a hitter.

18 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Would love to see us sign Holt. Solid glove, can play third, hits for a good avg and gets on base at a pretty high clip.

I can’t see him cost much more than 3 million so he comes rather inexpensive. 

Has anyone heard any chatter of him being linked to us? 

I can see the Orioles spending that much on anyone. 

I could see us in it at $3 million. Holt can play everywhere and lead off. Would Holt do it?  He could get everyday ABs and hit FA again?  Can Holt stay healthy?

Holt would get ABs at 2nd if Alberto can’t handle playing everyday. He could get ABs at 3rd if Ruiz flops. He could get ABs in LF/RF. 

Can he stay healthy?  Would he sign an Iglesias type deal?

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

José Iglesias

I think the big reason Iglesias signed here was because guaranteed ABs at SS. We were likely the only team offering that. There’s probably multiple teams that are offering Holt 145+ games started, if healthy. Big if. 

I don't think Holt is strong enough to be an Opening Day starter many other places aside from here.  The Orioles do have jobs to woo guys who want make good deals, but before Holt I see Flores and Gennett as infielders with more upside who I think will end up in the ballpark of Iglesias's price point if we have another low level slot, and are open to flexing Alberto to 3B, or just having those guys take a crack at it.

Pitching wise kind of same story if Walker or McHugh want certain rotation jobs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/cobb-eager-to-make-todays-start-against-phillies.html One of the more interesting starts of the early spring, in my opinion.     Yeah, Cobb will have little impact on the long term future of the Orioles, but 2020 will be a lot more tolerable if Cobb is healthy and pitching at the top of his game.     
    • I'm not sure this was Elias saying he likes Velazquez more than Urena as much as it was him saying he likes the gamble of having both of them with the downside of just Velazquez more than having only Urena.
    • In such a fantasy world, similarly unlikely things could happen like Cobb finishing in the top-3 for Cy Young and Austin Hays and Ryan Mountcastle finishing first and second in the AL Rookie of the Year voting. In such a world, a mid-80 win season may be possible. In a world with no other miracle happening in the season and the rest of the players producing within their likely range of outcomes, the Orioles COULD win enough to avoid 100 losses, but pitching is still the biggest issue.   Now...back to reality where a replacement level season from Davis would be a pleasant surprise.
    • I count myself as a huge JJ Hardy fan, but his offense was up and down.    Yes, Hardy at his best was a better hitter than Iglesias, especially on the power front, but let’s not forget he was a low OBP guy and that two of his final three years for us were far worse than what I’d expect from Iglesias.  Overall Hardy had an 87 OPS+ as an Oriole; Iglesias is at 84 OPS+ for his career.
    • In the minors, off the 40-man roster? Plenty. He could be the utility infielder at Norfolk or start everyday at Bowie. He turns 24 in two days and is still something of a prospect. Certainly more interesting than Angelo Mora who is three years older and the guy he will be replacing at Norfolk or Bowie. Would rather have a guy with a utility infielder ceiling getting playing time at the upper minors than an Org guy like Mora. Last year Jesmuel Valentin and Anderson Feliz combined for 142 games last year at Bowie and Feliz, Chris Bostick, Zach Vincej, and Jack Reinheimer combined for 355 games at Norfolk. That is a lot of playing time that could be available for fringe prospects like Urena rather than org guys.
    • https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-expected-to-franchise-tag-on-impending-2020-free-agent-pass-rusher-matthew-judon/   It is looking more and more likely that the Ravens are going to go this route.  What could we get back?   His tagged salary is estimated at $16.3M.  The article above seems to suggest that 1 for 1 he would be worth around a 2nd rounder......based on a Dee Ford trade.
    • I just "binge-read" this thread and have to agree with @Tony-OH in that it is a matter of personal preference. I am old enough to go back to Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell and their radio/TV (however limited it was back then) work.  I remember Brooks and Tom Marr and Jon Miller.  I do hear Jon on Sirius and miss his calling of the hames.  I remember the HTS days as well. Sadly, we can't go back.  These moves prove that the team is now listening to the fans (the survey) and are acting on it.  What is evident is that we are all passionate about the Orioles.  Give the newbies a chance, who knows we may like them.  As one who follows the O's minors I know we have some great voices on the farm and it is so good to see Geoff Arnold get the promotion; hopefully Adam Pohl is next. Everyone will find a happy medium to consume the games either on radio or TV...just be happy that baseball is back and continue the wonderful discussions here at Os Hangout.
  • Popular Contributors