Jump to content
Philip

Pitching Rotation Ranking Query

Recommended Posts

OK, so it is generally accepted That the rotation at the beginning of the season will be Cobb, Means,  and three guys, currently, for example, Wojo, Bailey, and Stewart.

My question is two-fold: Among the cascade of quality arms-and not a little sarcasm there-we have available, are those the most likely initial five?

I think Akin Is expected either to be the fifth guy in the rotation, or the first guy called up when deficiencies are revealed.

Second question is what would be the most likely order of call up? First which guy, then which guy, and then which guy?

I realize it’s not just whoever is higher up on the prospect list, because age and level play a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philip said:

OK, so it is generally accepted That the rotation at the beginning of the season will be Cobb, Means,  and three guys, currently, for example, Wojo, Bailey, and Stewart.

My question is two-fold: Among the cascade of quality arms-and not a little sarcasm there-we have available, are those the most likely initial five?

I think Akin Is expected either to be the fifth guy in the rotation, or the first guy called up when deficiencies are revealed.

Second question is what would be the most likely order of call up? First which guy, then which guy, and then which guy?

I realize it’s not just whoever is higher up on the prospect list, because age and level play a role.

Crickets *****. awaits @Luke-OH's reply ******. crickets.  Alas t'will never come!  😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Crickets *****. awaits @Luke-OH's reply ******. crickets

Sadly, Luke is unavailable for comment, given his new job.

I would love to peek over his shoulder when he is writing about such things, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Expecting Akin and Kremer up at some point this season.  

Expecting Akin and Kremer to get sent down at some point this season.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sadly, Luke is unavailable for comment, given his new job.

I would love to peek over his shoulder when he is writing about such things, though.

Yes just joking with remorse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we all just assume that the top three will just be injury free.   What does the season look like if Cobb or Means ends up on the DL out of the spring (a la Gallardo or Cobb himself) ?   We have zero depth at the ML starting rotation level, worse than I have ever seen it at this time of year in all the years I have been following the Orioles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First three are Means, Cobb and Wojo.    Bailey as an opener.   Stewart pig back with him is my best guess right now.  The 5th starter to begin the season is any one's guess and may not even be in the O's organization yet.

Akins is hopefully to be promoted in the first 60 days.    I would put Lowther as the next to the rotation after that.  But that is, of course, just my guess as of Jan 20th

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as of today it is Means, Cobb, and Wojo and whoever does well in ST from Armstrong, Hess (because we/they had eyes on they last year), then probable Stewart, Bailey & Rucker, and then Akin or Kremer.

I hold out hope for a Taijuan Walker-like signing, someone youngish coming off injury that just wants innings for <$5 M. Maybe we have the first 3 and hope for 5 innings and patch the other 2 spots with long men from the pen. Two could be "starters"and 4 long men paired with Castro, Givens, Harvey. I'm done with specialists like Hart, Fry, Bleier (sorry WC).

Edited by AnythingO's
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I think as of today it is Means, Cobb, and Wojo and whoever does well in ST from Armstrong, Hess (because we/they had eyes on they last year), then probable Stewart & Bailey, and then Akin or Kremer.

I hold out hope for a Taijuan Walker-like signing, someone youngish coming off injury that just wants innings for <$5 M. Maybe we have the first 3 and hope for 5 innings and patch the other 2 spots with long men from the pen. Two could be "starters"and 4 long men paired with Castro, Givens, Harvey. I'm done with specialists like Hart, Fry, Bleier (sorry WC).

It fine for you to be done with Bleier but I think he has to be a favorite as ST opens to be in the pen on OD.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

It fine for you to be done with Bleier but I think he has to be a favorite as ST opens to be in the pen on OD.

Donnie Hart made it back for 7 innings last year with ERA 0.00 and faced both lefties and righties. He is a FA right now. If you want to believe Bleier's sub par performance was injury related and now he is ready to be his old self, then I'll extend the same courtesy to Fry and Hart. I want 4-6 multi-inning guys that don't have bad splits but can be sort of effective airimg it out for 2-3 so we can piece together a rotation in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I think as of today it is Means, Cobb, and Wojo and whoever does well in ST from Armstrong, Hess (because we/they had eyes on they last year), then probable Stewart, Bailey & Rucker, and then Akin or Kremer.

I hold out hope for a Taijuan Walker-like signing, someone youngish coming off injury that just wants innings for <$5 M. Maybe we have the first 3 and hope for 5 innings and patch the other 2 spots with long men from the pen. Two could be "starters"and 4 long men paired with Castro, Givens, Harvey. I'm done with specialists like Hart, Fry, Bleier (sorry WC).

I don't know why you would think that Armstrong would be considered for the rotation.   Armstrong has been in 108 MLB games.  All in relief.  He has been in 302 minor league games.  Only one as a starter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Donnie Hart made it back for 7 innings last year with ERA 0.00 and faced both lefties and righties. He is a FA right now. If you want to believe Bleier's sub par performance was injury related and now he is ready to be his old self, then I'll extend the same courtesy to Fry and Hart. I want 4-6 multi-inning guys that don't have bad splits but can be sort of effective airimg it out for 2-3 so we can piece together a rotation in 2020.

I am willing to bet we do not see Donnie Hart in a ones uniform this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pool of arms that will be considered for the rotations going into Opening Day are as follows

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Bailey, Rucker, Akin, Stewart, Valdez, Hess, Zastryzny, Diplan.  Is Chandler Sheppard or Ty Blach still in the organization? If they are, might as well throw their names in the mix. 

I'd have to guess at this point it will be Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, and Akin.  I think Bailey and Rucker are middle relief/openers. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...