Jump to content
LTO's

Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one said it was.

I think part of the reason is that he's a catcher and they need a lot of catchers early in ST because of the amount of throwing.

You won't believe the amount of people who think this means he is breaking camp with the team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You won't believe the amount of people who think this means he is breaking camp with the team...

I try not to frequent the places folks of that ilk congregate.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Rutschman balls out during ST, proving he's the best major league catcher the Os currently have, he's not going to make the team because the Os are rebuilding.   Situations like this should be addressed at the next CBA 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Even if Rutschman balls out during ST, proving he's the best major league catcher the Os current have, he's not going to make the team because the Os are rebuilding.   Situations like this should be addressed at the next CBA 

I'm not even in favor of him making the team out of spring training. 

As a catcher he needs some time to learn how to call pitches.

If the O's had ended up with Andrew Vaughn I could see a case for making the team out of camp.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Even if Rutschman balls out during ST, proving he's the best major league catcher the Os currently have, he's not going to make the team because the Os are rebuilding.   Situations like this should be addressed at the next CBA 

How would such a thing be "addressed"?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How would such a thing be "addressed"?   

One day in the majors (outside of September) = one year service time.

Super 2 would also go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One day in the majors (outside of September) = one year service time.

Super 2 would also go away.

I don't think that does it.

All they have to do in make every teams revenue equal.  Easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think that does it.

All they have to do in make every teams revenue equal.  Easy.

That won't stop teams from wanting more cost controlled control.

Why wouldn't my idea work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That won't stop teams from wanting more cost controlled control.

Why wouldn't my idea work?

Because the O's would still send Rutschman to the minors for a year so the O's could promote the pitching they need in the majors at the same time Rutschman was called up.

If all teams had the same revenue from all sources they would all compete on the same level.  All be able to afford the same free agents and draft choice and international signing.  It might take a year or two to stabilize but there would be no tanking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Because the O's would still send Rutschman to the minors for a year so the O's could promote the pitching they need in the majors at the same time Rutschman was called up.

If all teams had the same revenue from all sources they would all compete on the same level.  All be able to afford the same free agents and draft choice and international signing.  It might take a year or two to stabilize but there would be no tanking.

I don't think he gets called up 2020 either way.  But they wouldn't keep him down for the whole of 2021.  It would stop holding guys back for an extra year and it would stop keeping guys down to avoid super 2. 

Standardizing payroll would probably increase service time manipulation as a Super 2 would be overly expensive for every team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

One day in the majors (outside of September) = one year service time.

Super 2 would also go away.

I think they should make everything based on age.  It would totally end manipulation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

How would such a thing be "addressed"?   

An extreme solution would simply be to apply something like the rule 5 whenever a guy is sent down.  The team would then have to either keep the player up in the bigs or lose them to another team.  But If the waiving team decides to surrender the player, they should get draft pick compensation. And like the rule 5, the player would have to stay on the 25 man or the original team gets them back.  And no abusing the IL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

An extreme solution would simply be to apply something like the rule 5 whenever a guy is sent down.  The team would then have to either keep the player up in the bigs or lose them to another team.  But If the waiving team decides to surrender the player, they should get draft pick compensation. And like the rule 5, the player would have to stay on the 25 man or the original team gets them back.  And no abusing the IL

 

How about X number of years after a player is drafted, then he becomes a free agent? Perhaps a different period of time if drafted out of high school or college. Then, teams would be incentivized to have players in the majors as soon as they are ready. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...