LTO's

Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are you brain trusts looking for out of Rutschman this year?  What are you expecting?

His "development arc" should rise majestically!  Big things!  OAA out the roof!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting him not to get promoted to AAA so they have a convenient excuse to game his service time in 2021.

I'm also expecting slightly disappointing numbers at the plate (relative to the hype). 

Is there a reason you'd want him on the team before the team is even remotely good though? I'm not for totally abusing his service time, but I definitely want to be efficient in terms of Years Of ML Adley to Years We're Good. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is there a reason you'd want him on the team before the team is even remotely good though? I'm not for totally abusing his service time, but I definitely want to be efficient in terms of Years Of ML Adley to Years We're Good. 

I've actually stated that in cases of actual top prospects I'm fine with gaming service time. 

Are you asking why I want 2021 and not 2022?  I'm not in favor of keeping anyone, especially a pitcher or catcher, rotting in the minors so they can be a year older when they make their ML debut.  If he's ready in 2021, which he should be, he should be up. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are you brain trusts looking for out of Rutschman this year?  What are you expecting?

Just holding serve and looking as advertised.  No matter how dazzling the numbers, I think the Wieters Experience for most of us will stop anything Rutschman can do THIS YEAR from getting us too overexcited again.  Until/if he surpasses Wieters's MLB performance, it'll be tough to let go of that cautionary tale.

A Bowie dogpile with Rutschman/Rodriguez/Hall going all Posey/Cain/Bumgarner like even-year Giants on the 2020 Eastern League postseason would set the stage nicely for will we chase somebody a year too early ala 2020 Blue Jays Ryu or 2018 Padres Hosmer?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've actually stated that in cases of actual top prospects I'm fine with gaming service time. 

Are you asking why I want 2021 and not 2022?  I'm not in favor of keeping anyone, especially a pitcher or catcher, rotting in the minors so they can be a year older when they make their ML debut.  If he's ready in 2021, which he should be, he should be up. 

Yeah fair. If he's down there raking, it starts to really suck to leave him there. 

I'm pretty curious what his numbers will look like this year. I still have the Wieters fear a bit. It's not good enough to be simply "productive" like he was. That would be pretty significantly disappointing. 

He's gotta be Buster Posey, right?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah fair. If he's down there raking, it starts to really suck to leave him there. 

I'm pretty curious what his numbers will look like this year. I still have the Wieters fear a bit. It's not good enough to be simply "productive" like he was. That would be pretty significantly disappointing. 

He's gotta be Buster Posey, right?

At this point I'm hoping he isn't Sanchez.

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You won't believe the amount of people who think this means he is breaking camp with the team...

The crazy part is that regardless of all of the talk about his needing time to learn the pitchers, how to better call games, etc., he's still liable to be the best catcher in this organization by a fair amount and that could become pretty clear to the brain trust when they're all in the same place during the spring. It makes me think that he'll be there, but he'll be playing in B games and catching a lot on the back fields.

I really hope Sisco tears it up this year. Making the decision making all the easier for the O's. Not that keeping him(Rutschman) in the minors this year is a hard decision.

Edited by OsEatAlEast

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting him not to get promoted to AAA so they have a convenient excuse to game his service time in 2021.

I'm also expecting slightly disappointing numbers at the plate (relative to the hype). 

So he’ll only hit .500/.700/.800?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The crazy part is that regardless of all of the talk about his needing time to learn the pitchers, how to better call games, etc., he's still liable to be the best catcher in this organization by a fair amount and that could become pretty clear to the brain trust when they're all in the same place during the spring. It makes me think that he'll be there, but he'll be playing in B games and catching a lot on the back fields.

I'm pretty sure they already knew that, hence why he went #1 and is getting an invite in his first ever Spring Training.

Rutschman had a 594 OPS at Delmarva in a small number of at bats.    He has not even proven he can hit at that level yet.  He is still getting use to wooden bats IMO.     

I know most fans want Rutschman to begin the season at Frederick.  But I still think he has things to prove at Delmarva.

I hope he moves up fast but I think he should be given the opportunity to succeed at each level before moving up.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rutschman had a 594 OPS at Delmarva in a small number of at bats.    He has not even proven he can hit at that level yet.  He is still getting use to wooden bats IMO.     

I know most fans want Rutschman to begin the season at Frederick.  But I still think he has things to prove at Delmarva.

I hope he moves up fast but I think he should be given the opportunity to succeed at each level before moving up.

He certainly hasn't proven he can hit while recovering from mononucleosis.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• o   Lopez is aiming for his 3rd consecutive Quality start ...... since August 25th, Lopez has tallied a 3.81 ERA and a 1.235 WHIP over 28.33 Innings Pitched.     TORONTO BLUE JAYS )))))) (SEPTEMBER 25th) Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque - 2B Bo Joseph "B.J." Bichette - SS Teoscar Hernandez - RF Randal Grichuk - CF Vladimir Guerrero Ramos, Jr. -DH Travis Shaw - 1B Jonathan Davis - LF Joseph Panik - 3B Daniel Jansen - C Taijuan Emmanuel Walker - RHP )) (4-3, 2.86 ERA) ) *   * )) (2-2, 4.00 ERA) OOO [SEATTLE MARINERS] OOOOO  (2-1, 1.54 ERA) OOO [TORONTO BLUE JAYS]   https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups   o
    • o   Jorge Lopez is aiming for his 3rd consecutive Quality start ...... since August 25th, Lopez has tallied a 3.81 ERA and a 1.235 WHIP over 28.33 Innings Pitched.   Taijuan Walker has strangely flip-flopped his ERA nd WHIP numbers after being acquired in a trade with the Mariners ...... with the Mariners, he tallied a modest 4.00 ERA with an exceptional 1.074 WHIP. With the Blue Jays, Lopez has tallied an exceptional 1.54 ERA with a rather high 1.414 WHIP.  Walker's BB-rate with the Mariners was 2.667 per 9 innings, while his BB-rate with the Blue Jays is 4.243.     BALTIMORE O RIOLES  ))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/25) Austin Charles Brian "C.B." Hays - LF Jose Antonio Iglesias Aleman - DH Demetrius Jerome "D.J." Stewart - RF Ryan Mountcastle - 1B Rio Ruiz - 3B Hanser Joel Alberto Pena - 2B Chance Thomas Leo Sisco - C Ramon Urias - SS Boyce Cedric "B.C." Mullins II - CF  Jorge Yabiel Lopez Ramos - RHP )) (2-1, 4.71 ERA)   OPPOSING PITCHER  Taijuan Emmanuel Walker - RHP )) (4-3, 2.86 ERA) ) *   * )) (2-2, 4.00 ERA) OOO [SEATTLE MARINERS] OOOOO  (2-1, 1.54 ERA) OOO [TORONTO BLUE JAYS]   https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups   o
    • Alberto will make the most of those arbitration eligible guys at maybe $3 million next year. Those other guys made $10+ million. Nunez and Valaika could be non-tendered, but not because of their exorbitant salaries. I don't think Armstrong will get non-tendered because he might make $800K rather than $600K. Santander, Severino and Alberto aren't getting non-tendered this year and none of them have enough surplus value to merit trading. Maybe Santander if he has a great 2021 is a trade chip, but he needs to show it for a full season to be a valuable trade chip. Trading Alberto or Severino would just be shuffling deck chairs and my guess is it would look bad if they traded EVERYONE that made over the minimum. Cobb could be traded but they probably get a better return at the trade deadline, and my guess is that they would end up having to pick up the same amount of salary if they traded him in July as they would if they traded him in the offseason.
    • o   Between 1954 and 1957, each of the MVO's for those seasons are not in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame ...... they are Chuck Diering (1954), Dave Philley (1955), Bob Nieman (1956), and Billy Gardner (1957.)   The other MVO's since then whom are not in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame are Don Aase (1986), Larry Sheets (1987), Mike Devereaux (1992), Rafael Palmeiro (1995, 1996, and 1998), Randy Myers (1997), Delino DeShields Sr. (2000), Jeff Conine (2001), Rodrigo Lopez (2002), Jay Gibbons (2003), Miguel Tejada (2004 and 2006), Aubrey Huff (2008), Luke Scott (2010), and Nelson Cruz (2014.)   More recent MVO's whom are not yet in the Orioles Hall-of-Fame but who may be inducted in the future upon eligibility are Nick Markakis (2007), Adam Jones (2011, 2012, and 2018), Chris Davis (2013 and 2015), Manny Machado (2016), Jonathan Schoop (2017), Trey Mancini (2019), and Anthony Santander (2020) ...... Nelson Cruz was only with the Orioles for one season (2014), but oh what a season it was (both for Cruz individually, and for the Orioles as a team.)     M.V.O. ) (1954 - Present)   1954 – Chuck Diering 1955 – Dave Philley 1956 – Bob Nieman 1957 – Billy Gardner 1958 – Gus Triandos 1959 – Gene Woodling 1960 – Brooks Robinson 1961 – Jim Gentile 1962 – Brooks Robinson 1963 – Stu Miller 1964 – Brooks Robinson 1965 – Stu Miller 1966 – Frank Robinson 1967 – Frank Robinson 1968 – Dave McNally 1969 – Boog Powell 1970 – Boog Powell 1971 – Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson 1972 – Jim Palmer 1973 – Jim Palmer 1974 – Paul Blair, Mike Cuellar 1975 – Ken Singleton 1976 – Lee May 1977 – Ken Singleton 1978 – Eddie Murray 1979 – Ken Singleton 1980 – Al Bumbry 1981 – Eddie Murray 1982 – Eddie Murray 1983 – Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr. 1984 – Eddie Murray 1985 – Eddie Murray 1986 – Don Aase 1987 – Larry Sheets 1988 – Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr. 1989 – Gregg Olson 1990 – Cal Ripken Jr. 1991 – Cal Ripken Jr. 1992 – Mike Devereaux 1993 – Chris Hoiles 1994 – No Award Given 1995 – Rafael Palmeiro 1996 – Rafael Palmeiro 1997 – Randy Myers 1998 – Rafael Palmeiro 1999 – B.J. Surhoff 2000 – Delino DeShields Sr. 2001 – Jeff Conine 2002 – Rodrigo Lopez 2003 – Jay Gibbons 2004 – Miguel Tejada 2005 – Brian Roberts 2006 – Miguel Tedada 2007 – Nick Markakis 2008 – Aubrey Huff 2009 – Brian Roberts 2010 – Luke Scott 2011 – Adam Jones 2012 – Adam Jones 2013 – Chris Davis 2014 – Nelson Cruz 2015 – Chris Davis 2016 – Manny Machado 2017 – Jonathan Schoop 2018 – Adam Jones 2019 - Trey Mancini 2020 - Anthony Santander   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Orioles_awards#Most_Vaulable_Oriole   https://www.mlb.com/orioles/history/orioles-hall-of-fame   o
    • I have thought Iglesias could be a prime trade target.  It could come this offseason or perhaps we (and an acquiring team) would want to see him off to a good start offensively - even 775 OPS should generate a quality return.  Depending on how Iggy is doing would impact the prospect I want back.  Top 15ish sounds about right, but maybe more if Iggy does well in April and May ahead of a deal. Iggy should have won the MVP.  Crazy to lineup Mountcastle's stats with Santander's and give it to Santander.  Anyone voting for Alberto, Nunez or Severino in their top 3 should be disqualified from ever watching baseball again.
    • Elias has made moves to save money.  Traded Villar, Bundy, Cashner.  This off season Cobb is in the last year of his contract.   Alberto has his 2nd salary arbitration year. Santander, Severino, Armstrong, Valaika and Nunez are all arbitration eligible for the first time. Will Elias make moves to keep the team cheap?
  • Popular Contributors