Jump to content
LTO's

Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, scOtt said:

Not because they're rebuilding. It because he's not ready for the bigs yet. I agree with those who think 2020 is out of the question. He'll be up in 21 sometime.

He's also got to get to minor league camp to get to know all those guys too. He knows some of them, played 3 levels last year. He has some good young pitchers to learn down there.

A little different situation, as he was a HS draftee and had more spent time in the minors,  but Joe Mauer made the Twins roster in 2004 at age 21.  And OPS'd 939 before injuries sidelined him for the year.

Posey was a September call up the year after he was drafted, but hit horribly (OPS 235 in 17 PAs) at age 22

Brian McCann also had a decent year at age 21, OPS 754 in 59 GP for the Braves in 2005

Edited by GuidoSarducci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Go for it, I've got a fireplace.

Not like I was wrong about him when folks were talking him up after a hot spring.

Not many people like being right more than you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

A little different situation, as he was a HS draftee and had more spent time in the minors,  but Joe Mauer made the Twins roster in 2004 at age 21.  And OPS'd 939 before injuries sidelined him for the year.

Posey was a September call up the year after he was drafted, but hit horribly (OPS 235 in 17 PAs) at age 22

Brian McCann also had a decent year at age 21, OPS 754 in 59 GP for the Braves in 2005

I've posted this before:

Wieters- Drafted 2007 made MLB debut in 2009.

Posey- Drafted 2008 made MLB debut in 2009.

Sanchez- Drafted 2009 made MLB debut in 2013.

Zunino- Drafted 2012 made MLB debut in 2013.

Schwarber- Drafted 2014 made MLB debut in 2015.

Bart- Drafted 2018 was in AA in 2019.

 

All college catchers taken in the top 5.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Not many people like being right more than you.

You are correct.

It is the joy of not going for the easy right.  (I'll admit DSjr counted as an easy right but folks still disagreed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You are correct.

It is the joy of not going for the easy right.  (I'll admit DSjr counted as an easy right but folks still disagreed)

I think you confused the joy that people got in seeing a guy like that play over his head for a few months...and the possibility that he COULD be turning a corner...with the idea that people thought he was really that good.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are correct.

It is the joy of not going for the easy right.  (I'll admit DSjr counted as an easy right but folks still disagreed)

Off topic but - considering how a guy like Smith ended up tanking back to his true level (albeit the injuries didn't help), do we expect Alberto to totally suck this year? I just can't imagine he hits that well all year a second time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think people who expect him up in 2021 and are okay with what has happened this off season are smoking something.

A top prospect is like a top QB draftee.  Good teams dont bring the QB up and hope he brings you to the promise land.  You build a good offensive line and make sure there is a solid foundation in place for success.

Why waste any service time until you have something approximating a ML team.

I look forward to 2027 when I continually see the line "Its great we had Rutschman, it's just too bad we couldnt put something around him."

As for this spring training.  Good. Hes got the skills and needs to see ML quality players.

 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odds are good 2028 Rutschman isn't going to be a difference maker.

I don't see how you can make a case to keep him down for all of 2021 if he's playing at the level we expect. 

Honestly the O's keeping him from a years worth of free agent income by refusing to promote him should result in some punitive action against the team.

Nobody’s talking about keeping Rutschman down for all of 2021, assuming he performs as expected.    We could keep him down a few weeks and he’d still be here in 2027, unless the to-be-negotiated CBA that goes into effect in 2022 says otherwise.  

I think you can carry this advance planning stuff too far.    Nobody really knows when a particular player will peak.    I don’t know how good Rutschman will be in 2028, but I don’t really agree that “odds are” he won’t be a difference maker then.   Yeah, catchers age quickly, but if Rutschman is the hitter he’s expected to be, there’s no reason to think he’ll be done hitting at age 30.    But it’s also true that there’s a learning curve in the majors, and delaying his entry to the majors beyond what’s dictated by his development delays him reaching his peak performance.    Even if the O’s don’t contend in 2021-22, I won’t consider it a “waste” for Rutschman to have played then if it means he’s peaking by 2023.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

Nobody’s talking about keeping Rutschman down for all of 2021, assuming he performs as expected.    We could keep him down a few weeks and he’d still be here in 2027, unless the to-be-negotiated CBA that goes into effect in 2022 says otherwise.  

I think you can carry this advance planning stuff too far.    Nobody really knows when a particular player will peak.    I don’t know how good Rutschman will be in 2028, but I don’t really agree that “odds are” he won’t be a difference maker then.   Yeah, catchers age quickly, but if Rutschman is the hitter he’s expected to be, there’s no reason to think he’ll be done hitting at age 30.    But it’s also true that there’s a learning curve in the majors, and delaying his entry to the majors beyond what’s dictated by his development delays him reaching his peak performance.    Even if the O’s don’t contend in 2021-22, I won’t consider it a “waste” for Rutschman to have played then if it means he’s peaking by 2023.    

I think odds are good almost any player we could name today won't be a "difference maker" in 2028.  (I'm going with clearly above average as my definition for "difference maker".)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think odds are good almost any player we could name today won't be a "difference maker" in 2028.  (I'm going with clearly above average as my definition for "difference maker".)

Well, I suppose the first thing you need to know is did he ever become a difference maker in the first place, and how much of a difference maker was he?   Then you can worry about whether he’ll still be a difference maker in 2028.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Off topic but - considering how a guy like Smith ended up tanking back to his true level (albeit the injuries didn't help), do we expect Alberto to totally suck this year? I just can't imagine he hits that well all year a second time.

I expect everyone to revert to career average, more or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I suppose the first thing you need to know is did he ever become a difference maker in the first place, and how much of a difference maker was he?

He isn't even one at this point, which only supports my point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He isn't even one at this point, which only supports my point of view.

Yes, you are at least technically correct.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, you are at least technically correct.   

The best kind.

 

But seriously the O's shouldn't be making decisions based on what one player might do in 2028.

And I'm sure they won't be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The best kind.

 

But seriously the O's shouldn't be making decisions based on what one player might do in 2028.

And I'm sure they won't be.

Agreed.     You and I occasionally have disagreed on whether certain players should be held back for service time reasons, but I don’t think we’ve ever disagreed that there’s only so long you can hold a player back when he’s ready for the majors.     

Saying that, while I expect Rutschman to be ready for the majors by next year, he still needs to go out and prove it.    
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.     You and I occasionally have disagreed on whether certain players should be held back for service time reasons, but I don’t think we’ve ever disagreed that there’s only so long you can hold a player back when he’s ready for the majors.     

Saying that, while I expect Rutschman to be ready for the majors by next year, he still needs to go out and prove it.    
 

Sure, I'm not suggesting his draft status gives him a free pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I'm curious how you mean that.  Do you mean folks like Moluntcastle and Diaz and are you talking going all out and bringing up Hall, Rodriguez and Adley?
    • To be fair, they are artificially the worst team.  If they let the best 26 play, they would win more games.
    • And you and yours as well!
    • I would prefer they play a normal 10th  or 11th. Then go to the new rule. For those of you who are diehard fans, I suppose this change is blasphemy, but other sports have changed their rules and it makes it more exciting. 4 on 4 hockey is more exciting than 5 on 5. Shoot outs are exciting. I don't like 4 hour games. I imagine players and managers hate long games. Your observation is like a kid seeing a food and says he doesn't like it before he tastes it. This is the non-season to try it, basically a 60 game exhibition schedule, where all stats are basically meaningless. Even the eventual WS winner have an asterisk. It will nice to see them play. In fact the O's may benefit more than normal...give the kids a chance and long look.
    • The 30 year treasury was around 6% in Feb. 2000, so we can consider that the risk free rate. It looks like high quality long term corporate bonds were around 8%, that’s probably more comparable. So this was probably pretty close to a fair deal. 
    • Is it wrong to make a choice that will work out in your favor 99% of the time, and there's no way to tell if this particular choice is the 1%? At 33: Carlos Delgado had a 161 OPS+.  Over his last four years of his career he was worth 4.8 wins. Jack Clark had a 148 OPS+.  Three years later he was done. Derrek Lee had a 146 OPS+.  Two years later he was an Oriole... and done. Pedro Guerrero had a 145 OPS+.  The next season would be his last with average batting numbers. Aubrey Huff had a 142 OPS+.  He never had a 100 again. Lance Berkman had a 140 OPS+. He'd have two more pretty good seasons. John Olerud had a 140 OPS+.  After that he played 214 games with a 98 OPS+. Jeff Bagwell had a 140 OPS+.  He actually had three more good years before falling off and retiring. Mike Easler had a 140 OPS+.  He had one more .800 OPS season. Cecil Cooper had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more season where he was an average or better hitter. Don Baylor had a 138 OPS+ (actually at 34).  He had one more season with an .800 OPS. George Hendrick had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more part-time season with an .800 OPS. Andre Thornton had a 123.  He's have one more good year. Adrian Gonzalez had a 130 OPS+.  Since then he's gone .784, .642, .672. Dmitri Young had a 129 OPS+.  The next year would be his last. Then you have Nelson Cruz and David Ortiz at 137.  Cruz has a .928 OPS and been worth 21 wins since leaving Baltimore.  And Ortiz had perhaps the best late career hitting and phone smashing record of all time. Also, remember Cruz was born July 1st, on the cutoff date, so if he'd been born 12 hours later his walk year with the O's would have been his age 34 season, so we'd be comparing him to these guys a year later and a year worse.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...