Eric-OH

Intro/2019 GCL Observations

24 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Good to have someone being the eyes of the young O's. Very good write up.

Also like to give a shoutout to the O's team that drafted this core.

Oh no doubt.  Their newness is reflected on the field and all over the organization.  Also to the coaching staff that starts these guys off.  Alan Mills is a pretty quiet guy in the dugout kind of like when he was playing.  He’s only supportive and is an educator when he visits the mound-such an underrated asset.  I can remember only 2 times he had to speak to the umps with passion and both times he was correct.  
The guy who gave me the vibe of Uber-prepared chart studier was Adam Bleday the pitching coach.  I saw the most interaction with him and the players. The dugout was filled with chatter from the get-go and he was a loud part.  Mills and Bleday showed as much chemistry as two guys running a club can and seemed to have a game plan.  Another small thing to observe but a positive indicator of an organization not known for being aligned from top to bottom.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

I remember Daza starting in the last week of the season.  It was a doubleheader and they clinched a tie with his win, he was low motion and in the middle of the plate.  There was no starter who came in and got lit up so he fit right in.

Sparks had a very confident air to him and the physical filling out will be key to his development.  He can be fast and quick, there aren’t many guys maximizing that skill in today’s game so who knows?  I’m hoping for the same things, but if I drafted the H&H brothers I’d be good with their start and optimistic about their baseball education going forward.  At this point we know that they we’re not overmatched at step 1 and responded positively to adversity at step 1.  

Excited to hear your voice or rather read your thoughts on the GCL players.  I look forward to seeing who comes over from the DR and elsewhere this spring and later in the year.  Your responsiveness to questions has been meaningful as we miss the great @Luke-OH , who has provided much in the past but has moved on to bigger things.  The GCL is the one link where we have lacked deep knowledge here in the past so carry on and welcome!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Excited to hear your voice or rather read your thoughts on the GCL players.  I look forward to seeing who comes over from the DR and elsewhere this spring and later in the year.  Your responsiveness to questions has been meaningful as we miss the great @Luke-OH , who has provided much in the past but has moved on to bigger things.  The GCL is the one link where we have lacked deep knowledge here in the past so carry on and welcome!

I can tell you that means a lot.  There’s plenty of smart and hungry O’s fans on here and I’m one of them!  Whatever you’re wondering, I’m wondering too.  I’m always open to talk O’s and learn more.  

• Upvote 1

Welcome and really looking forward to your thoughts and observations of everything, including the Gulf Coast League and the Minor League Spring Training situation. Those are two very under reported areas on this site, but the ones that can hold a lot of stuff for the future.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Welcome and really looking forward to your thoughts and observations of everything, including the Gulf Coast League and the Minor League Spring Training situation. Those are two very under reported areas on this site, but the ones that can hold a lot of stuff for the future.

That is part of my motivation for wanting to sign on with OriolesHangout and I couldn’t agree more.  The story is in the minors for a bit and that’s not necessarily a bad thing as I see it.  Thanks for the welcome and anything you’re curious to know I’m here for you.  The feedback will help me know what to look for once the Birds and baby Birds report.

• Upvote 3

Ditto to all these other comments.   We’ve had sporadic reports from the GCL and MiL spring training from a few posters over the years, but it will be great having some detailed, regular coverage.   Your opening post shows that you’re a keen observer and I already learned a lot just reading that.     

One guy I’d like to hear more about is Jake Zebron.    He had a nice GCL debut in 2018 and I was slightly disappointed that they had him repeat last summer rather than moving him up to Aberdeen.    However, it was somewhat understandable since Zebron was still two years younger than almost every pitcher on Aberdeen’s staff.   I’d love to hear more about what Zebron throws and what his potential might be.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ditto to all these other comments.   We’ve had sporadic reports from the GCL and MiL spring training from a few posters over the years, but it will be great having some detailed, regular coverage.   Your opening post shows that you’re a keen observer and I already learned a lot just reading that.     

One guy I’d like to hear more about is Jake Zebron.    He had a nice GCL debut in 2018 and I was slightly disappointed that they had him repeat last summer rather than moving him up to Aberdeen.    However, it was somewhat understandable since Zebron was still two years younger than almost every pitcher on Aberdeen’s staff.   I’d love to hear more about what Zebron throws and what his potential might be.  

Thanks very much again.  I’ll try to keep the ball rolling.

The rotation was very solid and Zebron was like the other handful who made starts and stood out by not standing out.  The times they were overmatched or had extended bad innings were minimal and that applies to him too.  This might sound like a theme but, like the other starters he was well built and worked fast with a ‘I’m running the show mentality. 
I don’t remember thinking exceptional control and I don’t remember thinking that he’s a guy to mix it up.  His K’s came on stuff that rose or didn’t, not often pitches that spun or dove.  That truly could be said for most of the starters. Prizina has a little tail and spin and JJ Montgomery looked good at off-speed and changing speeds. He was not often squared up and looking back now knowing his age certainly didn’t look like a teenager.  I don’t know the specific pitches because I don’t have that data, although it is a priority and already being planned to fix that.  
To comment on his potential, I can only evaluate him against his peers in this league and he did well overall.  They had a rotation to some degree and he was part of it.  The games moved fast and were played crisply and it all started on the mound and with the battery.  There’s a reason they won this league and he was as much a part as any pitcher. If the team is looking for progress moving forward from a good 2018 and are measuring maturity and composure as much as pitch mix I’d say they got a positive response.  I can’t speak for them however and don’t know their objectives.  However, we’ll be learning plenty more this season.  You’re not the first to ask about him so I’ll keep that in mind-I need indicators of where to look so I’ve got one for Zebron.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Please welcome Eric to the site folks. Eric is a former WBAL sports producer who has also worked for the Sporting News. He'll be giving us lots of information this spring from the major and minor league camps and then will give us our first looks at many of the new GCL players this year.

We're glad to have Eric join our team.

And I’m glad to be a part of it.  Thanks for the opportunity and support.  I look forward to the season and like you am counting down until every level has some baseball going on!

Welcome to the site Eric and thanks for an incredibly informative first post! I'm already looking forward to your keen insights in the future. 

6 hours ago, hutchead said:

Welcome to the site Eric and thanks for an incredibly informative first post! I'm already looking forward to your keen insights in the future. 

Thanks for the welcome!  I’m glad to have the site as a forum for some positive O’s discussion.  I hope to see and share lots and lots of observations in the coming months.  

Welcome Eric to the Hangout. It will be nice to get more detailed info from the O's lower level. Looking forward to heading in that direction in late March.

2 hours ago, BamaOsFan said:

Welcome Eric to the Hangout. It will be nice to get more detailed info from the O's lower level. Looking forward to heading in that direction in late March.

Thanks.  I’ll be here paying attention for you.  Sarasota’s especially nice during Feb/March. 
You could have met fellow Baman’s mom and dad Henderson last year they were down for a couple weeks watching Gunnar.  Some guy got a ball signed by his whole family.