Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

TMZ is reporting Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash

Recommended Posts

My mom is a 75 year old Kobe fangirl. She went to Lower Merion High School----years before Kobe did, but I think that was part of the bond  she had with him. Years later my mom moved out to LA, went through a nasty divorce, and was lost in life. She started following the Lakers and a teenage Kobe. She never met him; much of what she knew about him was filtered through newspapers, TV, and sports talk radio. So it sounds silly to say, but Kobe helped my mom through a difficult part of her life. Perhaps more than I did.  Kobe is one of the few topics my mom and I can easily talk about. She would think of books he should read during the off season if she deemed the ones that Phil Jackson had assigned weren't good enough. She questioned whether offensive schemes were maximizing his skill set. She was 100% on Kobe's side in the Shaq feud. It was a part of her life that made her happy when a lot of the other part wasn't so happy.

RIP Kobe.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that this accident spurs the FAA to mandate that TAWS and black boxes be installed on helicopters. Unlike, say, commercial airlines (duh), there's not much regulation with helicopters (and further, I believe they're too focused on tourist travel, but that's a topic for another time).

Personally, I have an inherent distrust of helicopters. I've flown in one once, and decidedly did not like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NTSB is absolutely correct.  All commercial helicopters should be equipped with what is now basic safety kit. However, in this particular instance I don't think TAWS would have helped avert the tragedy. The evidence so far seems to suggest that spatial disorientation was the devil. I have a morbid fascination with accident investigations, air safety videos, and NTSB final reports.This tragedy seems sadly to be an all too classic tale. An instrument rated  pilot used to flying in the usually clear air of SOCAL encounters sketchy weather. He thinks he can thread the needle. Then all of a sudden he hits the fog and realizes he made a mistake. He knows exactly where he is in relation to the looming terrain, so he aborts and starts to gain altitude and turn around to the clearer skies and lower ground behind him. But his instrument flying skills are rusty since he never uses them in the normally ideal to fly in SOCAL. Plus he his probably stressed and flummoxed by the fact that he allowed himself to get so far in to a screwed up situation in the first place. Whatever the case, somewhere in the milky fog, during what should have been a relatively straightforward escape, he got completely disoriented and nose planted into the ground. It's one of the top ways people screw up flying aircraft.

Lord knows I have made even worse bad decisions, but  have been way luckier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, Chavez Ravine said:

The NTSB is absolutely correct.  All commercial helicopters should be equipped with what is now basic safety kit. However, in this particular instance I don't think TAWS would have helped avert the tragedy. The evidence so far seems to suggest that spatial disorientation was the devil. I have a morbid fascination with accident investigations, air safety videos, and NTSB final reports.This tragedy seems sadly to be an all too classic tale. An instrument rated  pilot used to flying in the usually clear air of SOCAL encounters sketchy weather. He thinks he can thread the needle. Then all of a sudden he hits the fog and realizes he made a mistake. He knows exactly where he is in relation to the looming terrain, so he aborts and starts to gain altitude and turn around to the clearer skies and lower ground behind him. But his instrument flying skills are rusty since he never uses them in the normally ideal to fly in SOCAL. Plus he his probably stressed and flummoxed by the fact that he allowed himself to get so far in to a screwed up situation in the first place. Whatever the case, somewhere in the milky fog, during what should have been a relatively straightforward escape, he got completely disoriented and nose planted into the ground. It's one of the top ways people screw up flying aircraft.

Lord knows I have made even worse bad decisions, but  have been way luckier.

 

This was technically a privately owned Helicopter. Kobe's own personal bird.

Commercial ones, are ones that charge to haul passengers, or rent out to customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

This was technically a privately owned Helicopter. Kobe's own personal bird.

Commercial ones, are ones that charge to haul passengers, or rent out to customers.

I think there was some initial uncertainty about who owned it (Kobe or the company), but it seems like the company owned it, from a few days ago:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-30/kobe-bryant-helicopter-owner-suspends-operations

Quote

Island Express Helicopters — the company that owned the aircraft that crashed Sunday, killing nine people including Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna — has suspended operations indefinitely, the company said in a statement Thursday evening.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I think there was some initial uncertainty about who owned it (Kobe or the company), but it seems like the company owned it, from a few days ago:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-30/kobe-bryant-helicopter-owner-suspends-operations

 

Conflicting information for sure.

 

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 89 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The latest mock from Jonathan Mayo... https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-3?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage    
    • I'll be back because...well, I love baseball.  I love the Orioles.  I really can't imagine MLB being played and not paying attention on some dumb principle that I have against the players and the owners because they're both spoiled assholes.  You can't get mad at water for being wet.   That said... God #@$%ING DAMMIT.  @#%& every last one of them.  MLB just...never gets it right.  The most painful thing in all of this is that they had a chance to lead.  They had a chance to be the first pro sports league to get it together this summer, to come up with a plan to get back to playing and be the first ones on stage Nascar doesn't count, you can't prove me wrong with NO OTHER COMPETITION.  MLB, the sport with the oldest, fart-knockingist fanbase.  MLB, the sport that always seems to lag behind other sports in...just about everything.  MLB, the sport with the dumbest marketing where they try SO HARD TO BE COOL AND RELEVANT.  They had such a prime opportunity to be front stage and center.  No NBA, no NFL and no NHL.  They had an opportunity to be leaders, to show the other leagues how it's done and the opportunity for starved sports fan to see what a great game it can be.  THEY HAD A CHANCE TO HAVE A COMPLETELY CAPTIVE AUDIENCE. And they blew it.   The NBA made it back first, which is not surprising.  In the NBA, you get players that make a metric $%#*ton of money and are also hyper aware and concerned with defining their legacy.  LeBron James is chomping at the bit to get back on the court because he knows this might be the best/last time he can contend for a title and if he wins it, it'd add to his legacy.  You get a guy like Giannis who is obsessed with knocking him off.  Meanwhile, in the MLB you get guys like Snell and Harper who are sitting around bitching about money.  You get the feeling that if someone told Harper this year he would bat .400 but would have to play for free to do it, he wouldn't think twice about sitting out instead of doing something that hasn't been done since 1941 and might not ever happen again.  If someone told Snell he could break Bob Gibson's ERA record for a season or strike out 384 batters this year but not make any money doing so, he'd flip you the bird and sit around and play video games.  World Series?  Forget it, they would just view it as extra work.  I think LeBron would play for free the rest of this summer if he thought he had a chance at another title. I'm not sure where the NHL is in regards to restarting their season because it's...the NHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they got their act together and figured out a way to finish, it certainly looks like they're trying harder. And you know the NFL is going to play come hell or high water.  The NFL will not miss a week.  They will start on time.  Because they all know there's too much on the line and that by the end of this summer that people will look to their league as something that can bring people together and help them heal.  People will go ballistic if the NFL start date gets pushed back or if games are missed.  But baseball not happening is seemingly being met with apathy from the general sports fanbase.   @#$% you, MLB.  I'm not saying @#$% you forever, but for right now in this very moment, @#$% you.  @#$% you for being so far behind in everything.  @#$% you for being the last sport to make a statement on George Floyd, only doing so because people noticed you didn't and they called you out on it.  @#$% you players, @#$% you owners, @#$% you all.  @#$% you for not seizing a golden opportunity when you had one because you can't see past your stupid @#$%ing paychecks and your dumbass collective bargaining agreement.  @#$% you for not being able to put your differences aside to be able to play in a time where your fellow countrymen would love nothing more than to watch a game and forget about a pandemic and civil unrest.  @#$% you for not being there when we actually needed you.
    • This came up on my suggestions. Pretty good cover by some youngsters.  
    • Scores high as being personable and well spoken!   Was also interesting during the “Texas History Quiz”, when he and Millar were asked to name one of the seven Texas born Hall of Famers,  he quickly answered “ Nolan Ryan” (natch) but when neither he nor Millar came up with a second quickly, Chris Rose read the rest.   Frank Robinson was one of them, to which Lacy commented  “ I did not realize Frank Robinson was born in Texas”. (Almost like .... how did I miss that when studying up on the Orioles.... 🤔!)
    • This brings up a definitional question... is a five tool guy someone who is outstanding in each area or someone who is average-or-better (at MLB level). The latter may be more how it’s used for prospect evaluation, whereas the former is more from a historical look-back. 
    • Yes, but I would hardly call it a stadium. I can't believe that pro players played there. Its small for legion ball.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...