Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

TMZ is reporting Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash

My mom is a 75 year old Kobe fangirl. She went to Lower Merion High School----years before Kobe did, but I think that was part of the bond  she had with him. Years later my mom moved out to LA, went through a nasty divorce, and was lost in life. She started following the Lakers and a teenage Kobe. She never met him; much of what she knew about him was filtered through newspapers, TV, and sports talk radio. So it sounds silly to say, but Kobe helped my mom through a difficult part of her life. Perhaps more than I did.  Kobe is one of the few topics my mom and I can easily talk about. She would think of books he should read during the off season if she deemed the ones that Phil Jackson had assigned weren't good enough. She questioned whether offensive schemes were maximizing his skill set. She was 100% on Kobe's side in the Shaq feud. It was a part of her life that made her happy when a lot of the other part wasn't so happy.

RIP Kobe.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope that this accident spurs the FAA to mandate that TAWS and black boxes be installed on helicopters. Unlike, say, commercial airlines (duh), there's not much regulation with helicopters (and further, I believe they're too focused on tourist travel, but that's a topic for another time).

Personally, I have an inherent distrust of helicopters. I've flown in one once, and decidedly did not like it.

The NTSB is absolutely correct.  All commercial helicopters should be equipped with what is now basic safety kit. However, in this particular instance I don't think TAWS would have helped avert the tragedy. The evidence so far seems to suggest that spatial disorientation was the devil. I have a morbid fascination with accident investigations, air safety videos, and NTSB final reports.This tragedy seems sadly to be an all too classic tale. An instrument rated  pilot used to flying in the usually clear air of SOCAL encounters sketchy weather. He thinks he can thread the needle. Then all of a sudden he hits the fog and realizes he made a mistake. He knows exactly where he is in relation to the looming terrain, so he aborts and starts to gain altitude and turn around to the clearer skies and lower ground behind him. But his instrument flying skills are rusty since he never uses them in the normally ideal to fly in SOCAL. Plus he his probably stressed and flummoxed by the fact that he allowed himself to get so far in to a screwed up situation in the first place. Whatever the case, somewhere in the milky fog, during what should have been a relatively straightforward escape, he got completely disoriented and nose planted into the ground. It's one of the top ways people screw up flying aircraft.

Lord knows I have made even worse bad decisions, but  have been way luckier.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, Chavez Ravine said:

The NTSB is absolutely correct.  All commercial helicopters should be equipped with what is now basic safety kit. However, in this particular instance I don't think TAWS would have helped avert the tragedy. The evidence so far seems to suggest that spatial disorientation was the devil. I have a morbid fascination with accident investigations, air safety videos, and NTSB final reports.This tragedy seems sadly to be an all too classic tale. An instrument rated  pilot used to flying in the usually clear air of SOCAL encounters sketchy weather. He thinks he can thread the needle. Then all of a sudden he hits the fog and realizes he made a mistake. He knows exactly where he is in relation to the looming terrain, so he aborts and starts to gain altitude and turn around to the clearer skies and lower ground behind him. But his instrument flying skills are rusty since he never uses them in the normally ideal to fly in SOCAL. Plus he his probably stressed and flummoxed by the fact that he allowed himself to get so far in to a screwed up situation in the first place. Whatever the case, somewhere in the milky fog, during what should have been a relatively straightforward escape, he got completely disoriented and nose planted into the ground. It's one of the top ways people screw up flying aircraft.

Lord knows I have made even worse bad decisions, but  have been way luckier.

This was technically a privately owned Helicopter. Kobe's own personal bird.

Commercial ones, are ones that charge to haul passengers, or rent out to customers.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

This was technically a privately owned Helicopter. Kobe's own personal bird.

Commercial ones, are ones that charge to haul passengers, or rent out to customers.

I think there was some initial uncertainty about who owned it (Kobe or the company), but it seems like the company owned it, from a few days ago:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-30/kobe-bryant-helicopter-owner-suspends-operations

Island Express Helicopters — the company that owned the aircraft that crashed Sunday, killing nine people including Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna — has suspended operations indefinitely, the company said in a statement Thursday evening.

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I think there was some initial uncertainty about who owned it (Kobe or the company), but it seems like the company owned it, from a few days ago:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-30/kobe-bryant-helicopter-owner-suspends-operations

Conflicting information for sure.

Thanks