Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Sounds like Henderson and Hernaiz are likely to play in Aberdeen this year

Recommended Posts

 

Quote

Because of the banquet’s location, fans wanted to know which players from the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and short-season Single-A Aberdeen could play for the Shorebirds in 2020.

“We’ll see,” Elias said. “I think most of the roster here at Delmarva is going to be the guys that you saw in Aberdeen and I think a lot of players that were on the GCL roster are probably going to return to extended spring training and maybe go to Aberdeen to start the year.

“Two of our higher-profile picks from last year who spent all year in the GCL were Gunnar Henderson (second round), a high school kid we took out of Alabama, and a kid named Darell Hernaiz (fifth round) from El Paso, Texas. Another high school player. And both of them had really nice debuts. But they’re both really young kids.

“They were, like, 17 years old out of the draft, kind of raw, and we’re going to have to wait and see in spring training if they’re in a position to come here or whether they’ll maybe spend the year in Aberdeen like Adam Hall did before he came here. But I look at that Aberdeen roster and it looks like we’ve got a good lineup and good pitching staff coming here next year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/01/leftovers-from-shorebirds-hot-stove-banquet.html#

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely?  I didn't get that. I think that's just conservative GM speak.  Joey Ortiz is likely going to be SS or 2B at Delmarva. Carmona is also in the mix. However, if Hernaiz and Henderson look good in the spring,  I could envision an infield of 3B, Henderson, SS Hernaiz, and 2B Ortiz.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be disappointing if they weren't able to make a full season club, but they were both pretty young. I know there is a new thought that it's more important to be in camp environment, but I still believe the best development occurs with getting PAs. It won't be the worse things in a world of course, but the best high school prospects typically are sent to full season clubs nowadays.

I'd definitely be excited if both of them were able to make the Delmarva team out of spring but with Ortiz and Welk probably heading there, maybe they just don't see enough PAs and with them being both still 18 years old at the start of the season, they may just think the jump is too big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a few bats that played well early and moved on from Sarasota pretty quickly like Fontana and Craig Lewis-about a month into the GCL season. Those two got less than 50 ABs.

Trevor Putzig, Mason Janvrin and catcher Harris Yett stayed around until theirs totaled around 100.

I would be curious if a similar track is followed this year, especially if things go well and one or both of this combo start out as team leaders.  Will there be an early push upwards and will they be a part of it?  Maybe wait until August and see if they can be assets to competing affiliates?
 

I think the point being stressed about their age and lack of experience and need for PA’s is clear as of today.  They need to play consistently, see pitches and hit against their peers probably more than anything right now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully expect Henderson and Hernaiz to start in Aberdeen.  The organization has been conservative with placements/promotions and they have even preferred to start the advanced college guys in Delmarva. 

I would not be surprised if even Rutschman started in Delmarva. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I fully expect Henderson and Hernaiz to start in Aberdeen.  The organization has been conservative with placements/promotions and they have even preferred to start the advanced college guys in Delmarva. 

I would not be surprised if even Rutschman started in Delmarva. 

It would be shocking and a horrible decision.  That would on course for just taking a prime year of that man's earning potential away from him for no good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would be shocking and a horrible decision.  That would on course for just taking a prime year of that man's earning potential away from him for no good reason.

I could see him in Delmarva until mid May and then spending most of the season in Frederick with a late season promotion to Bowie.  The fact that he struggled in Delmarva in limited at bats last season emboldens my prediction. 

Of course, they could start him in Frederick.  But I've seen Elias quoted using the "nothing to lose" justification for conservative placements.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Elias said was, we'll see how they look in the spring. He never said they were likely to start at Aberdeen. He said "most" of Delmarva's roster would come from last years Aberdeen team. Adam Hall had some injury issues that held him back.  Rutschman starts at Frederick, 99.9%. It would take another case of mono and a horrible spring for any other scenario. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I could see him in Delmarva until mid May and then spending most of the season in Frederick with a late season promotion to Bowie.  The fact that he struggled in Delmarva in limited at bats last season emboldens my prediction. 

Of course, they could start him in Frederick.  But I've seen Elias quoted using the "nothing to lose" justification for conservative placements.  

What would cause you to think that?  He's an advanced college bat.  It makes no sense to start him in Delmarva.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What would cause you to think that?  He's an advanced college bat.  It makes no sense to start him in Delmarva.

I’d be disappointed if Rutschman started lower than Frederick, for a number of reasons.    But I’ll let Rutschman prove this spring that he merits a higher placement than that.     It would have been nice if he’d hit well at that level last year, in which case we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.     But he didn’t.    You can write that off as a very small sample coming off a bout with mono, but it still leaves a little doubt that hopefully gets extinguished this spring.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d be disappointed if Rutschman started lower than Frederick, for a number of reasons.    But I’ll let Rutschman prove this spring that he merits a higher placement than that.     It would have been nice if he’d hit well at that level last year, in which case we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.     But he didn’t.    You can write that off as a very small sample coming off a bout with mono, but it still leaves a little doubt that hopefully gets extinguished this spring.    

Shouldn't be any doubt.  He was coming off a long season, mono, the Orioles making him a dog and pony show at the minor league affiliates.  I heard of no issue with his approach.  His three years at college should outweigh his stint in Delmarva and his first spring training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't be any doubt.  He was coming off a long season, mono, the Orioles making him a dog and pony show at the minor league affiliates.  I heard of no issue with his approach.  His three years at college should outweigh his stint in Delmarva and his first spring training.

Man you are so ready to kill the O's the SECOND they make a development move you don't agree with for Rutschman.. lol. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, interloper said:

Man you are so ready to kill the O's the SECOND they make a development move you don't agree with for Rutschman.. lol. 

Do you think playing at three levels while recovering from mono was good for his development?  

I don't think it did any real harm but I don't think his development was foremost in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...