Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

Time to change over the Chris Davis 2019 thread.    

Here were some quotes from Davis that suggested some semblance of a plan to go along with his bulking up:

“For me, really the point of emphasis going into this offseason was getting back to that approach and really letting the ball travel. I think back to the years when I’ve had the most success, I was really driving the ball well the other way. In order to do that, you have to let the ball travel. You have to let the ball get deep and come to you. Any contact I make out in front of the plate, with the exception of a pitch that is way inside or kind of boring in on me, it’s not going to be beneficial for me or a productive out if it is an out.”

Davis has also hit fewer fly balls in recent years, meaning fewer chances for homers. He hit the ball in the air 45.7 percent of the time in 2013, 43.5 percent in 2015, 39.3 percent in 2018 and 38.6 percent last season.

Davis-HR-Swing-Gray-SD-Sidebar.jpg“I want to try and keep the ball off the ground on the right side for a number of reasons,” he said. “But really letting the ball travel, it plays right into my game. And I think a lot of that had to do with the strength factor. Not feeling like I could drive the ball the other way, but knowing I had to put a perfect swing on it. And put myself into a position where I had little room for error. I think having that strength and my body back to a position that where, even if I miss a ball, it lands in the seats, I think it will play right into my game.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/01/more-opposite-field-homers-could-make-chris-davis-more-productive.html

This doesn’t change my mind about Davis’ chances for success, but it at least suggests that maybe he wasn’t completely ignoring the feedback and advice the team gave him.

Letting the ball travel is a zig while others are zagging since as I understand it, some of the school of Justin Turner is getting to the ball earlier and accessing more pull power.

Alex Bregman doesn't have extraordinary raw power, but is super adept at waiting out/being clued into the pitches he can pull in the air.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/alex-bregman/17678/spray-charts?position=3B&type=battedball

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Letting the ball travel is a zig while others are zagging since as I understand it, some of the school of Justin Turner is getting to the ball earlier and accessing more pull power.

Alex Bregman doesn't have extraordinary raw power, but is super adept at waiting out/being clued into the pitches he can pull in the air.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/alex-bregman/17678/spray-charts?position=3B&type=battedball

Helps to know what pitch is coming.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

At this point, Chris Davis thinking back to  the years in which he had his success is like me waxing nostalgic about a two hitter I pitched in high school. And I'm in my 40s...

26 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Why the hell was he not strong the last few years?  :new_beer:

He purposefully slimmed down, he says, in an effort to carry less weight on his aging body. Do I believe him? It doesn't really matter either way. I know what you're getting at, but I think dealing in speculation is kind of silly. At least while we have an actual answer for the time being. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Translation: "I'm working on getting luckier, cause that's the only chance I have."

"Close my eyes and hope for the best"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Translation: "I'm working on getting luckier, cause that's the only chance I have."

Pretty much. Seems to me he's just sending up a prayer. There's nothing suggesting his "plan" will work. It's a shame. He could have dived head first into the new technology and data and cameras to build a new hitting approach/stance, like Hunter Pence did at age 35. The tools are all there, but he's chosen to ignore that and bet it all on, essentially, strength and conditioning. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

At this point, Chris Davis thinking back to  the years in which he had his success is like me waxing nostalgic about a two hitter I pitched in high school. And I'm in my 40s...

Good to think about the future too, when Chris is your age in his 40s, the Os will still be paying his contract

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Why the hell was he not strong the last few years?  :new_beer:

His take:  He was working on getting lighter/more flexible.

My take:  He didn't want to put in the work.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He purposefully slimmed down, he says, in an effort to carry less weight on his aging body. Do I believe him? It doesn't really matter either way. I know what you're getting at, but I think dealing in speculation is kind of silly. At least while we have an actual answer for the time being. 

For the record, I am not getting at a PED angle.  It's just funny to hear him say... oh yeah, I'm gonna try doing the weight lifting thing again, lol

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His take:  He was working on getting lighter/more flexible.

My take:  He didn't want to put in the work.

Yeah maybe.  Ever since he got the idea I never had the impression there was a plan, or work ethic to execute it.  That's a view from 50,000 feet but it's pretty damning when you implicate your batting coach in a lie and he doesn't cover for you.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's been letting the ball travel really well.  All the way to the catcher's glove.

This was my thought exactly. I think he watches it really well all the way to the glove.  He lets it travel on in there.  Hitting it though...well, forget about it. 

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said: