Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I don't see it as likely, but a man can dream.

It would be a heck of a story. 

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

How can you not root for him to do well, if you are a fan of the team?

That doesnt meant we stick our head in the sand and pretend there isnt a problem.

At least they are working with identifying the problem and a solution.

Time will tell.

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Austin Hays doesn't have a hit yet,so Mullins will be the Opening Day centerfielder..

Pretty sure Cedric leads the majors in steals this spring!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

Would a .240 BA with 20 HR, 75 RBI, and .650 OPS be enough?

7 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

If he hits .240 with 20 HR, his OPS will be north of .700. Probably closer to what @SteveA suggested above.

Personally, I say root for the guy and if we have that problem it will work out. I don't think we will be contending next year. Trey Mancini could be traded, Nunez could develop as a 3B, Mountcastle shocks everyone and plays a passable LF, etc. I don't think we need to root against Davis' (potential) success.

1 minute ago, Gatoriole said:

If he hits .240 with 20 HR, his OPS will be north of .700. Probably closer to what @SteveA suggested above.

Personally, I say root for the guy and if we have that problem it will work out. I don't think we will be contending next year. Trey Mancini could be traded, Nunez could develop as a 3B, Mountcastle shocks everyone and plays a passable LF, etc. I don't think we need to root against Davis' (potential) success.

Everyone won't be shocked.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

This team is going to be bad in 2021 as well.  Davis being or not doesn't really hurt much other than Mancini's WAR.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I'd have to see that OPS at .775 or so.

I'm with @SteveA, worst case scenario is that he improves a little bit, shows some flashes of previous glory days and makes it hard for the FO/ownership to cut bait.

I don’t think he’s going to be blocking anyone. Maybe Rio Ruiz or if Sisco flames out at C. Mountcastle starts the year in the minors for the extra year of control. Mancini is “fine” in the COF.