Jump to content
Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Trying to find places to play good players is a good place to be.

Give it some time to play out, and lets see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

My avatar says, "Hello!".  😁

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

I’m all aboard for a 3.500 OPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, Yossarian said:

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

Would a .240 BA with 20 HR, 75 RBI, and .650 OPS be enough?

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

Best case scenario is Davis improves enough that another team trades for him if the Orioles eat 75% of the remaining contract.

This seems like an impossibility though and realistic best case is Davis is released in the next year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

Well, none of us fans are, not every poster here is a fan of the team.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

He's now 4-5 with two homers in spring (5th inning of the 02/27/20 game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

Not to worry he just hit HR #2  Current BA .800 Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Outfield is such a delicate balance. There were a couple years where Markakis could handle anything off the scoreboard or near the grounds crew bench and Jones had a terrific ability to range back to the 410 in center. I’m not sure what the metrics say about it, but outfield seems to have a lot to do with who is next to you, especially with those two.    Santander was fun to watch this year, I can’t remember him making a bad play. 
    • The competition in CF is pretty fierce. 
    • There is an excellent article published yesterday in the Athletic about the Chicago Cubs "laying off 100-plus employees".  The article talks about how generous the Cubs ownership was four years ago during their championship run to fly employees and spouses or guests to/from Cleveland to witness their WS history, how the organization ordered 1,908 championship rings and pins for players, coaches, executives, ballpark staff, etc.   Very recently, the Cubs laid off over 100 employees across pretty much the entire business operation as well as the baseball (scouting, player dev, international ops) operation.  The article mentions the White Sox, Red Sox, NY Yankees, Cardinals, Phillies, Angels and SF Giants as among the teams that "enacted cost-cutting measures like layoffs, furloughs, salary reductions and buyout packages". The article says the "Cubs are claiming $140M in revenue losses this year and projecting $120M in lost revenue next year."   I will say these clubs represent bigger markets and probably had bigger operations headcount and costs heading into the pandemic and, in the absence of local sold out stadiums, may be experiencing bigger losses than the Os.  Teams are hurting financially all over the league.
    • Defensive stats are all over the place. And some are more important for one position than for others, of course. Which ones are the most revealing? I personally care less about range, which can be assisted with good intel and preparatory placement, than I do about being sure handed, and I’m more interested in accuracy on throws than brute strength. So what are the best defensive stats? 
    • I kind of like the fact that the signing date has been pushed back to Jan. 15, maybe permanently.    It’s something interesting to look forward to in the dead of winter now.    One thing that isn’t clear is whether the age cutoff is changing (i.e., the date by which the player must turn 16 in order to be signed).    I’m assuming it hasn’t changed because otherwise this year there would be seven months worth of players that teams would have no money to sign, having already committed their money to the guys turning 16 before J2.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...