Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Trying to find places to play good players is a good place to be.

Give it some time to play out, and lets see what happens.

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

My avatar says, "Hello!".  😁

• Upvote 1

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

I’m all aboard for a 3.500 OPS

On 2/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, Yossarian said:

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

Would a .240 BA with 20 HR, 75 RBI, and .650 OPS be enough?

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

Best case scenario is Davis improves enough that another team trades for him if the Orioles eat 75% of the remaining contract.

This seems like an impossibility though and realistic best case is Davis is released in the next year. 

• Upvote 1

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

Well, none of us fans are, not every poster here is a fan of the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

He's now 4-5 with two homers in spring (5th inning of the 02/27/20 game).

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

Not to worry he just hit HR #2  Current BA .800 Go figure.