Jump to content
Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Trying to find places to play good players is a good place to be.

Give it some time to play out, and lets see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.

My avatar says, "Hello!".  😁

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I've looked at his historical spring training stats, and his spring stats are generally in the same neighborhood as his regular season stats.  So if he ends the spring with a .250/.350/.500, maybe we shouldn't expect exactly that for the season, but it bodes well for him avoiding Mendoza and negative WAR at least.

I’m all aboard for a 3.500 OPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, Yossarian said:

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

Would a .240 BA with 20 HR, 75 RBI, and .650 OPS be enough?

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

Best case scenario is Davis improves enough that another team trades for him if the Orioles eat 75% of the remaining contract.

This seems like an impossibility though and realistic best case is Davis is released in the next year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

Can we all just be moral human beings for a second? This guy was an integral piece of the team(s) that brought playoff baseball back to Baltimore. For his sake, I hope he has a monster year. Quit wishing ill on a guy that really established his career as an Oriole. He’s part of the family. 

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think anyone is wishing ill on him. 

Well, none of us fans are, not every poster here is a fan of the team.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

He's now 4-5 with two homers in spring (5th inning of the 02/27/20 game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No joy in Orioleville

Mighty Chris Davis has finally made an out.

Not to worry he just hit HR #2  Current BA .800 Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Much like the House in Vegas, the insurance company always wins in the end.
    • I pooped myself that day... In my defense, I was 9 days old!
    • Haha... but the frustration is therapeutic cause it's baseball!
    • Double post... this was originally added to the Mock thread, but I thought it should be here as well. I've completed work on a Composite Top 100 Prospect List.  I utilized five sites: NFL.com, ESPN/Scout, PFF.com, NFL Rough Draft, and Huddle Report. I chose those sites because they are not only popular, but some, like NFL Rough Draft and Huddle Report are annually rated among the top sites in putting together their rankings. I then averaged these five sites' rankings to come up with the list.    2020 NFL Draft Composite Top 100 Prospects List: 1   DE Chase Young*  Ohio State 6'5" 265 2   QB Joe Burrow  LSU 6'3" 212 3   CB Jeff Okudah*  Ohio State 6'1" 200 4   QB Tua Tagovailoa*  Alabama 6'0" 217 5   OLB Isaiah Simmons*  Clemson 6'4" 230 6   WR CeeDee Lamb*  Oklahoma 6'2" 191 7   DT Derrick Brown  Auburn 6'4⅛" 325 8   WR Jerry Jeudy*  Alabama 6'1" 192 9   OT Jedrick Wills Jr.*  Alabama 6'5" 320 10   OT Tristan Wirfs*  Iowa 6'5" 322 11   OT Andrew Thomas*  Georgia 6'5" 320 12   DT Javon Kinlaw  South Carolina 6'5⅛" 308 13   WR Henry Ruggs III*  Alabama 6'0" 190 14   CB CJ Henderson*  Florida 6'1" 202 15   QB Justin Herbert  Oregon 6'6¼" 240 16   OT Mekhi Becton*  Louisville 6'7" 369 17   DE K'Lavon Chaisson*  LSU 6'4" 250 18   ILB Patrick Queen*  LSU 6'1" 227 19   ILB Kenneth Murray*  Oklahoma 6'2" 243 20   WR Justin Jefferson*  LSU 6'3" 192 21   RB D'Andre Swift*  Georgia 5'9" 215 22   S Xavier McKinney*  Alabama 6'1" 200 23   OT Josh Jones  Houston 6'4¾" 309 24   S Grant Delpit*  LSU 6'3" 203 25   CB Jaylon Johnson*  Utah 6'0" 195 26   WR Brandon Aiyuk  Arizona State 5'11¾" 203 27   DE A.J. Epenesa*  Iowa 6'6" 280 28   WR Tee Higgins*  Clemson 6'4" 215 29   OLB Zack Baun  Wisconsin 6'1¾" 227 30   DE Yetur Gross-Matos*  Penn State 6'5" 264 31   WR Jalen Reagor*  TCU 5'11" 195 32   CB Trevon Diggs  Alabama 6'1½" 202 33   RB Jonathan Taylor*  Wisconsin 5'11" 219 34   WR Laviska Shenault Jr.*  Colorado 6'2" 220 35   C/G Cesar Ruiz*  Michigan 6'4" 319 36   DT Jordan Elliott*  Missouri 6'4" 315 37   DT Ross Blacklock*  TCU 6'4" 305 38   CB Kristian Fulton  LSU 5'11⅝" 194 39   CB Jeff Gladney  TCU 5'10" 183 40   RB J.K. Dobbins*  Ohio State 5'10" 217 41   WR Michael Pittman Jr.  USC 6'3¾" 223 42   WR Denzel Mims  Baylor 6'2½" 211 43   OT Ezra Cleveland*  Boise State 6'6" 310 44   RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire*  LSU 5'8" 209 45   S Antoine Winfield Jr.*  Minnesota  0 46   CB A.J. Terrell*  Clemson 6'1" 190 47   QB Jordan Love*  Utah State 6'4" 225 48   OT Austin Jackson*  USC 6'6" 310 49   DT/DE Marlon Davidson  Auburn 6'3¼" 303 50   DT Justin Madubuike*  Texas A&M 6'3" 300 51   WR KJ Hamler*  Penn State 5'9" 176 52   CB Noah Igbinoghene*  Auburn 5'11" 200 53   OT/OG Isaiah Wilson*  Georgia 6'7" 340 54   WR Chase Claypool  Notre Dame 6'4⅜" 229 55   OLB Terrell Lewis*  Alabama 6'5" 252 56   S Ashtyn Davis  California 6'1⅛" 201 57   TE Cole Kmet*  Notre Dame 6'5½" 250 58   S Kyle Dugger  Lenoir-Rhyne 6'0⅝" 218 59   CB Cameron Dantzler*  Mississippi State 6'2" 185 60   RB Zack Moss  Utah 5'9⅛" 205 61   CB Bryce Hall  Virginia 6'1¾" 202 62   DE Julian Okwara  Notre Dame 6'4⅝" 242 63   RB Cam Akers*  Florida State 5'11" 212 64   C Lloyd Cushenberry III*  LSU 6'4" 315 65   OG Robert Hunt  Louisiana 6'5" 323 66   ILB Logan Wilson  Wyoming 6'1¾" 245 67   DT Neville Gallimore  Oklahoma 6'1" 296 68   QB Jake Fromm*  Georgia 6'2" 220 69   S Jeremy Chinn S. Illinois 6'3" 221 70   QB Jacob Eason*  Washington 6'6" 227 71   Edge Josh Uche  Michigan 6'1⅝" 242 72   TE Adam Trautman  Dayton 6'4⅞" 256 73   Edge Curtis Weaver*  Boise State 6'3" 265 74   OT Lucas Niang  TCU 6'5¾" 336 75   OG Damien Lewis LSU  6'2" 327 76   RB AJ Dillon*  Boston College 6'0" 250 77   DE James Lynch*  Baylor 6'4" 295 78   Edge Jonathan Greenard  Florida 6'3¼" 265 79   CB Damon Arnette  Ohio State 5'11½" 191 80   OT Prince Tega Wanogho  Auburn 6'5⅛" 307 81   TE Harrison Bryant  Florida Atlantic 6'4⅜" 240 82   Edge Bradlee Anae  Utah 6'3½" 263 83   OLB Troy Dye  Oregon 6'3⅜" 218 84   WR Bryan Edwards  South Carolina 6'2⅞" 218 85   OLB Malik Harrison  Ohio State 6'2⅞" 251 86   WR Van Jefferson  Florida 6'1¾" 197 87   DT Raekwon Davis  Alabama 6'6¼" 315 88   WR Antonio Gandy-Golden  Liberty 6'3⅝" 216 89   DE Jabari Zuniga  Florida 6'3⅝" 255 90   TE Hunter Bryant*  Washington 6'2" 239 91   CB Amik Robertson*  Louisiana Tech 5'9" 183 92   DE Alton Robinson  Syracuse 6'2⅝" 250 93   OG John Simpson  Clemson 6'4⅜" 336 94   OLB Akeem Davis-Gaither  App St 6'1" 224 95   C Matt Hennessy  Temple  6'4" 307 96   OT Saahdiq Charles*  LSU 6'4" 295 97   CB Troy Pride Jr.*  Notre Dame 5'11¼" 192 98   C Tyler Biadasz*  Wisconsin 6'3" 321 99   DE Jason Strowbridge  North Carolina 6'4" 261 100   OLB Jordyn Brooks  Texas Tech 5'11⅞" 241
    • No, this is a shot in the dark.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...