Jump to content
Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm hoping for .239 avg and 29 hr -- no more, lest I have to eat a flip flop

Just make a meatloaf in the shape of a flip flop. It's a win-win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Babypowder said:

There is no scenario where I want Davis to play everyday and finish his contract. I'm hoping for two outcomes: 1. He is just as bad as he has been, barely plays and finally gets cut. 2. He plays well enough to get moved and the O's get out of any portion of his deal and younger players can play.

You’ve mentioned a couple times that you hoped Davis can play well enough this year to be moved. But I know and you know (and I know you know) there is absolutely no scenario in which that happens, given his past performance, current contract and this team’s inability/unwillingness to eat salary. Even if his OPS is .900 in July, nobody is buying high at $17M a year. Which leaves: (1) he plays well enough over the coming years to finish his deal; (2) he gets cut and the team eats the salary; or (3) he retires and forgoes the rest of his salary. That’s really it. I hope for #1, but the odds say that #2/3 are far more likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

You’ve mentioned a couple times that you hoped Davis can play well enough this year to be moved. But I know and you know (and I know you know) there is absolutely no scenario in which that happens, given his past performance, current contract and this team’s inability/unwillingness to eat salary. Even if his OPS is .900 in July, nobody is buying high at $17M a year. Which leaves: (1) he plays well enough over the coming years to finish his deal; (2) he gets cut and the team eats the salary; or (3) he retires and forgoes the rest of his salary. That’s really it. I hope for #1, but the odds say that #2/3 are far more likely. 

The hoped for option is (4) Davis performs well enough that another team would trade for him if the O’s ate most but not all of his salary.    I don’t see why the team wouldn’t be willing to do it if Davis played well enough to make it feasible.   I just don’t think he’ll be able to do that.    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The hoped for option is (4) Davis performs well enough that another team would trade for him if the O’s ate most but not all of his salary.    I don’t see why the team wouldn’t be willing to do it if Davis played well enough to make it feasible.   I just don’t think he’ll be able to do that.    

The public relation hit, his lack of versatility, his trade protection, prior PED use, contract existing beyond this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The public relation hit, his lack of versatility, his trade protection, prior PED use, contract existing beyond this season.

I’m talking about the Orioles being willing to do it.    Inside Coroner had posited that the O’s were unwilling or unable to eat salary to facilitate a trade and that was one of the reason that option was off the table.    I think they’d be both willing and able to do it.     The problem would be the lack of takers, not the Orioles.    But if Davis truly has a .900 OPS in July — which is the hypothetical under discussion — there might be a taker if we ate enough of the remaining salary.    Frankly, I’m more likely to see a unicorn than for Davis to have a .900 OPS in July.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m talking about the Orioles being willing to do it.    Inside Coroner had posited that the O’s were unwilling or unable to eat salary to facilitate a trade and that was one of the reason that option was off the table.    I think they’d be both willing and able to do it.     The problem would be the lack of takers, not the Orioles.    But if Davis truly has a .900 OPS in July — which is the hypothetical under discussion — there might be a taker if we ate enough of the remaining salary.    Frankly, I’m more likely to see a unicorn than for Davis to have a .900 OPS in July.    

Even if he has a .900 OPS in July........I think all the dumb GMs of years past who would make those types of deals are long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Even if he has a .900 OPS in July........I think all the dumb GMs of years past who would make those types of deals are long gone.

Not all the owners though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Even if he has a .900 OPS in July........I think all the dumb GMs of years past who would make those types of deals are long gone.

It might not be dumb, depending on the situation and how much salary the Orioles eat.   But I’m not going to waste my time arguing about hypotheticals that are extremely unlikely to happen.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

You’ve mentioned a couple times that you hoped Davis can play well enough this year to be moved. But I know and you know (and I know you know) there is absolutely no scenario in which that happens, given his past performance, current contract and this team’s inability/unwillingness to eat salary. Even if his OPS is .900 in July, nobody is buying high at $17M a year. Which leaves: (1) he plays well enough over the coming years to finish his deal; (2) he gets cut and the team eats the salary; or (3) he retires and forgoes the rest of his salary. That’s really it. I hope for #1, but the odds say that #2/3 are far more likely. 

If someone takes him and the O's eat 90 percent of his salary, that's still a win. I think it is a near impossibility too but as I said: a man can dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Of his top 10, maybe one or two will be there in the second round.  Since you guys have Brown, I’d complement him more with a possession type guy as opposed to Ruggs, Hamler, and Reager.  I’m confident Jeudy and Lamb will be gone by 28.  Jefferson is the only guy left that I’d take in the first if they go WR. Mims or Pittman in the 2nd would be really solid.  This is such a deep class for WR, they could get a contributor late.
    • Lot of those guys were before my time, so for me I’d have to say none other than Bundy. Heck, I remember the numbers almost verbatim: 71 IP, 158 K, 2 ER, 5 BB, consistent 92-97 with an occasional run-up to 100, and a 12-6 CB. Even the “experts” thought we nailed it. It was almost like Christmas when he finally arrived. I really thought he’d be the anchor of this rotation for ~ a decade. What could have been had his body held up. Still feels weird he's not on this team anymore.
    • This man racked up 60 home runs in two seasons with the O's from 2011-2012...  Epic! (He also went 3 for 25 with no extra base hits and 10 K's in our 2012 playoff run, but that's water under the bridge)
    • I feel like Matt Weiters' final few (pricey and injury-riddled) years in Baltimore hurt his legacy here.  It definitely distracts from how well he did in his first few years: 2009-2012= 13.3 WAR 2,031 PA   2 Gold Gloves, 2 All Star Selections Made about $1.7 Million over those 4 years 2013-2016= 4.9 WAR 1,437 PA 0 Gold Gloves, 2 All Star Selections (one in a season which he played only 26 games) Made about $37.3 Million over those 4 years.
    • One of my favorite players of the Buck Era, and his career stats are nearly identical to C Davis. I'll never forget the game where his homerun reached the club level in LF.   https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/mark-reynolds-retires-dbacks-rockies-orioles.html
    • Lol imagine putting up a 9.3 WAR as a starting pitcher and leading the AL with a 2.53 ERA and not winning the Cy Young...
    • Since the inception of pro baseball in the 1870s something like 15 billion people have been alive. Let's say for the sake of argument that half of a percent of those people have played some form of organized baseball.  That would be 75 million people. In history maybe 200,000 or 250,000 people have appeared in a minor league game. About 20,000 people have appeared in a major league game. 2,327 players have been a catcher for at least one game. Of those 2,327 Matt Wieters is the 91st-best catcher of all time by JAWS. So he's in the top 4% of all Major League catchers of all time, which puts him among the top 0.4% of professional catchers, which puts him in the top 0.0001% of everyone who's ever caught a game, and in the top 0.0000007% of all humans in catching ability. You'd have to pick the best catcher out of every Japan-sized group of people to come upon someone who was as good a catcher as Matt Wieters. Is that a tragedy?  I guess it depends on your perspective.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...