Frobby

Chris Davis, 2020

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A little like 2002, when Miguel Tejada won the MVP over 6-8 better players because the sports writers/voters liked the story.  ARod was a shortstop in the same league as Tejada, won the gold glove, silver slugger, led the league in homers, RBI, total bases.  But Tejada was MVP because the A's had a 20-game winning streak that pushed them into first place in August and early September.

It's always been a baseball writer thing to show how smart you are by not voting for the guy who was obviously better.

But he wasn't in the movie much so it evens out.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I knew the general facts of a lot of that, but baseball-reference is always your friend.

You're a legend Drungo!

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

DiMaggio also beat out Williams for the MVP in 1941.  That was the year of Joe D's hitting streak.  For a month that summer, everyone in America was following the streak.  I'm sure that had a lot to do with his beating out Williams for the MVP.  Williams hit .406 and had the far better season, but Joe D's streak was national news at the time.

Just btw... on the last day of the season, with a double-header scheduled, Ted was at like .39966945876. .400

Manager gave him the option of sitting out and ending at .400 . Ted played both games and went (my memory) 6 or 7 for 8 to get to .406.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A little like 2002, when Miguel Tejada won the MVP over 6-8 better players because the sports writers/voters liked the story.  ARod was a shortstop in the same league as Tejada, won the gold glove, silver slugger, led the league in homers, RBI, total bases.  But Tejada was MVP because the A's had a 20-game winning streak that pushed them into first place in August and early September.

It's always been a baseball writer thing to show how smart you are by not voting for the guy who was obviously better.

I need to watch Moneyball again. Just because I haven't in a long while.

Above average lineup?

1. Hays CF R

2. Mountcastle DH R

3. Santander LF S

4. Mancini RF R

5. Davis 1B L

6. Nunez 3B R

7. Alberto 2B R

8. Sisco/Severino C

9. Iglesias SS R