Sign in to follow this  
Yardball85

O's sign Wade LeBlanc

Given LeBlanc’s recent history as the innings eater behind an opener, it might make sense to see LeBlanc throw down innings behind Rucker or Bailey.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seattle used Leblanc following a RH opener.  

So Rucker, Hess, Bailey, etc..., would go the first 1-2 IP then Leblanc would come in. Oddly enough Leblanc had reverse splits last year. 

We’ll see what happens. Good value on a milb deal. He can definitely eat innings. 

I really like Hess as an opener now that you mention it....

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

We'll know pretty quickly if he looks totally red in the face after he's thrown 4 pitches.

Matusz always looked exactly like Alfred E Newman

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure I understand this signing. He's a soft tossing 35-year old lefty who was in the bottom 10% of the league in xBA and xSLG. Similiar to Means, his best pitch is a changeup and last year he went to a cutter over his sinker more times than not. The cutter got hit pretty hard, but so did his sinker so maybe they will scrap both and have him go to a pure four seamer which had a little bit of success last year when up in the zone, even though it has low spin rate.

https://sporty-clips.mlb.com/46dacf61-a1a4-465a-91c0-740f35af715f.mp4

Either way, I realize there is not a lot of good competition for starter innings, but not sure where the upside is here because the chance of a soft tossing lefty who had a penchant of giving up home runs is going to regain any kind of trade value by the trading deadline is slim.

Guess best case scenario he's able to eat some inning and somehow get on a run that we can move him for a Cashner like return.

Innings. Innings. Innings. :) Hit the nail on the head. ME and everyone else knows this year is a waste for the ML club. Elias and Hyde had a hard time last year just filling innings every day just to get thru the season.

Roch posted an "update" just that the O's are still in the market for a starter. ... No crap Sherlock! 😛

Anyways, LeBlanc is just another (left handed) body in the innings pool. Minor league, I like the signing.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Glad there will be a player on the team older than me. That is nice.

My last one was Jesse Orosco.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He was older than the league itself...

47 if my tattered memory is to be trusted. 😛

How many of Fry, Armstrong, Phillips, Carroll, Kline, Sulser, Scott can we afford to keep on the 40 man?  

They’re typically 1 IP relievers and we need innings covered. Plus, the new rule that you have to be in the minors for 15 days instead of 10. That will affect the Norfolk shuttle. 

• Upvote 1

From Trezza’s Twitter

Sources indicate that LeBlanc, 35, turned down offers from other teams for the chance to start in Baltimore. Eight of his 26 appearances last year were starts, but those numbers are deceiving. Twelve came as the bulk innings pitcher behind an opener. #Orioles
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

If we're going to sign someone from the cast of Friends, I'd just as soon it be Jennifer Aniston.

No argument here, but LeBlanc was very good in the rebooted Top Gear.  Surprisingly good.

As for Wade LeBlanc it's only a matter of time until someone says it, so I'll just get it out of the way... Maybe he's the next Jamie Moyer,  All mediocre lefties with 88 mph fastballs have a 0.001% chance of miraculously having a near-HOF career that lasts into their late 40s.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Matusz always looked exactly like Alfred E Newman

Matusz just got red in the face. You know who looks like Alfred E. Newman?  Rob Manfred. 

mlb_e_manfred11_1296x729.jpg