Sign in to follow this  
Moose Milligan

Connolly: As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?

As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?

I wonder how the results of this poll would be if the Orioles were the team who had cheated to win the World Series.  I am guessing quite different. 

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The world isn't black and white. You are trying to draw lines, lump everything in together. Ain't that simple.  

But is it fair to retroactively freak out and punish folks for just being more skilled at cheating then the cheaters that came before them?  The intent was the same.  Shouldn't we be punishing intent and not results?

MLB should have codified all of this years ago. 

Part of the issue is the fans, who are extremely inconsistent about what offends their sensibility.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But is it fair to retroactively freak out and punish folks for just being more skilled at cheating then the cheaters that came before them?  The intent was the same.  Shouldn't we be punishing intent and not results?

MLB should have codified all of this years ago. 

Part of the issue is the fans, who are extremely inconsistent about what offends their sensibility.

Laws change in society.  What may have been against the law in 1920 might be legal now and vice versa.  Rules change. Enforcement of the rules changes.  That's life.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Laws change in society.  What may have been against the law in 1920 might be legal now and vice versa.  Rules change. Enforcement of the rules changes.  That's life.  

Sure, but those laws are recorded is some fashion.  Even Hammurabi wrote this stuff down.

You don't suddenly get thrown in jail for jaywalking.

MLB is making it up as they go along.  Boston gets hit, they get a fine, Astros get hit they get the book thrown at them (in comparison).  They did the same thing to the Braves after they got caught cheating a couple of years after the Red Sox did.  I guess the lesson is, get caught first, or maybe it is just to be Boston.

Someone is always the example. They were warned. Yeah, it wasn't written down and the punishment wasn't written down. Oh well.  

After reading some of these posts it is clear to me why the society is in the shape it is.  Apparently the crime to some folks is not to cheat, but to get caught.  And while laws change, right and wrong do not.  That is why the Creator put a conscience in people, to tell them right from wrong, not the State telling us what it is on certain days of the week..  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone is always the example. They were warned. Yeah, it wasn't written down and the punishment wasn't written down. Oh well.  

Oh well.

Exactly.

Oh well.

If the Yankees had done what the Astros did do you think they would have received the same punishment?

Maybe you do.  I don't.  And we won't ever know because, oh well they just make it up as they go along.

The fans are just as bad.  Bonds uses steroids, the world is ending, Colon uses steroids, oh look at the fat man getting busted for steroids.  That Gaylord Perry is such a character openly cheating, let's put him in the HoF.  Oh Clemens used steroids, no hall for him, we have moral standards.

It's random and no way to run a league.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Oh well.

Exactly.

Oh well.

If the Yankees had done what the Astros did do you think they would have received the same punishment?

Maybe you do.  I don't.  And we won't ever know because, oh well they just make it up as they go along.

The fans are just as bad.  Bonds uses steroids, the world is ending, Colon uses steroids, oh look at the fat man getting busted for steroids.  That Gaylord Perry is such a character openly cheating, let's put him in the HoF.  Oh Clemens used steroids, no hall for him, we have moral standards.

It's random and no way to run a league.

No way to run a league? Sure, it's far from perfect but I think all of the millionaires and billionaires are doing just fine running their league.

Who is more sanctimonious and hypocritical than the NFL?  They are doing just fine.

21 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

After reading some of these posts it is clear to me why the society is in the shape it is.  Apparently the crime to some folks is not to cheat, but to get caught.  And while laws change, right and wrong do not.  That is why the Creator put a conscience in people, to tell them right from wrong, not the State telling us what it is on certain days of the week..  

Interesting, I'd like to know what the conscience of people was in the 1700s and 1800s when they owned slaves.  Even up through the 50s and 60s when there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites and blacks couldn't play in the MLB, I'm sure everything was peachy keen cause Leave it to Beaver was on TV.   Was society in better shape than it is now, or are things just different, tech is moving at a rapid pace and you're scared?

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who is more sanctimonious and hypocritical than the NFL?  They are doing just fine.

Who's more sanctimonious than the NFL?  Easy.

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Bono.  When it comes to someone being more sanctimonious than anyone else, the answer is always Bono.

Carry on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I voted "yes" because I guess there's different levels of cheating. Sign stealing has been a part of baseball since the beginning. Pitchers cheat every day with various ways to get an edge.

I still don't care if players used steroids. If you are willing to potentially shorten your life then that's on the players. I think some people give athletes far more credit than they deserve.

PEDs are different.  Probably 75%+ of players used them, and the league both willfully ignored and tacitly endorsed it.  Bud's shock about those seemingly good boys taking those awful drugs reminded me of someone's elderly aunt being bowled over by teenagers these days drinking beer and having premarital sex.  Oh goodness, that doesn't happen, does it?  Bud was more than fine with it right up to the point it had the potential to hurt his bottom line instead of enhancing it.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting, I'd like to know what the conscience of people was in the 1700s and 1800s when they owned slaves.  Even up through the 50s and 60s when there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites and blacks couldn't play in the MLB, I'm sure everything was peachy keen cause Leave it to Beaver was on TV.   Was society in better shape than it is now, or are things just different, tech is moving at a rapid pace and you're scared?

Who's more sanctimonious than the NFL?  Easy.

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Bono.  When it comes to someone being more sanctimonious than anyone else, the answer is always Bono.

Carry on.

No one does sanctimonious like Bono, and I will love U2 until the day I die.  In any case, are you really that sure that rock n' roll won't save the world?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

No one does sanctimonious like Bono, and I will love U2 until the day I die.  In any case, are you really that sure that rock n' roll won't save the world?

Well, I'm pretty positive.  But I'm sure if you were able to ask him, he'd tell you different.  That is, if you could get him down from his cross.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, I'm pretty positive.  But I'm sure if you were able to ask him, he'd tell you different.  That is, if you could get him down from his cross.

Having a messiah complex doesn't preclude you from actually doing some good.

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Having a messiah complex doesn't preclude you from actually doing some good.

I'm sure he does a lot of good.  And I'm sure he'd love to tell you all about it.  But when he starts saying that his music is "almost holy" well...I'm going to go listen to Motorhead.

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No one does sanctimonious like Bono.

Greta Thunburg.  She's got a big head start on Bono.  Took him 60 years to get this bad.