Greg Pappas

Poll: Grading Elias' Tenure Thus Far

How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

UnconsciousDentalBlueshark-size_restrict

No, seriously. A+. I like every thing I've seen and read. Elias is like a tornado that blew into town. Overwhelmed the whole organization. And I believe firmly headed in the right direction.

You like that Davis is still on the team?

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He said Elias.  Not Angelos brothers.  😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mike doesn't control that. This is grade Elias, not grade the Bros. I'd give them about a C+/B-.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess he’s put the right management people in place. His personnel move has been mediocre so far. 

As far as the drafts it’s way too early to tell.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

Mike doesn't control that. This is grade Elias, not grade the Bros. I'd give them about a C+/B-.

But if the Orioles get good over the next few years,the Angelos Bros. would have to increase spending. Houston traded for very expensive pitchers over the last few years to be the final pieces in a championship caliber team.We shall see if the Orioles would be on board with a significant salary jump to get to the highest level. 

12 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How can anyone say that 2019 was a good or great draft right now?

You grade them on the reasonableness of the picks. Whether or not they become solid major leaguers is a combination of development and luck, which has nothing to do with drafting.  

Example: you can grade the Orioles' 2009 draft poorly since they took Hobgood at #5 when the consensus was that he was more like a #20-30 pick.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

C. I had high hopes. So far I am not impressed.

I know I was expecting the entire tectonic shift in organizational structure and philosophy to be wrapped up in four to six weeks.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The one thing he's done that I have an issue with is not promoting Mountcastle in September in what appears to be a bid to manipulate his service time.

I think that when you look at a player like Mountcastle the possible benefits to his development outweigh the advantage of a potential seventh year of team control.

International spending and drafts have been good, but others mentioned that.

I like the addition of guys that are installed to teach certain lessons THROUGHOUT the minors.  The programs are synced and we saw a jump in minor league rankings last year, obviously Rutschman was a big part of the jump.  However, there were a lot of guys that had solid years and I think that had to do with development. 

Like all other areas, probably to soon to tell.  But the idea/approach to develop is also one that makes sense to me.

As much as it's painful and at times no fun to watch, he has done exactly what he said he would for the ML roster.  Low cost, mild upside players or lottery tickets.  As much as the team isn't good, it's part of the overhaul that was needed.  I can't lower a grade for him based on that. 

The structure was step 1 and I do think he has done a lot of work in the year+ he's been in charge.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

He really hasn't brought in any talent that is poised to be an under the radar trade or signing.

Perhaps they are still under your radar?

• Haha 1

Didn't give a grade because the actions that he's taken won't bear fruit for a few years.  The one action that he hasn't taken leaves me disappointed that I have to watch any Davis at bats.  Any.  At all.  But, I'm resigned to it.  I'm hoping to see players - prospects - that Dan Duquette acquired begin to move up and maybe even onto the Major League roster.  Hays for (hopefully) a full season, and at some point Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer, Diaz, Zimmerman, Baughman, Wells, etc..  And, I'll eagerly watch the minors for progress by last years draftees.