Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

Passan: Betts and Price to Dodgers

I almost feel like the Red Sox want this whole thing to fall through bc they took so much heat and bad press.  That was probably too much negativity for them to handle, so now I can see them keeping him just so their fans don’t keep crushing them.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I almost feel like the Red Sox want this whole thing to fall through bc they took so much heat and bad press.  That was probably too much negativity for them to handle, so now I can see them keeping him just so their fans don’t keep crushing them.  

I think it is very possible ownership didn't like the fan reaction and killed the deal. 

MLBTR

Joel Sherman of the New York Post has reported that Betts turned down an eight-year, $200MM extension offer from the Red Sox after the 2017 season, while WEEI’s Lou Merloni says Boston offered a contract in the “ten year, $300MM range” fresh off Betts’ 2018 MVP campaign.  According to Merloni, Betts’ camp countered at 12 years, $420MM.  I know there’s an undercurrent that Betts’ reported counteroffer is ridiculous, but in reality, it reflects his market value.  He would be justified in seeking an AAV north of Anthony Rendon’s $35MM, and a term no shorter than the 10+ years achieved by Trout, Harper, Machado, Giancarlo Stanton, Albert Pujols, Robinson Cano, and Joey Votto.

1 hour ago, weams said:

MLBTR

If the contract had started in 2019 (Betts’ age 26 season) and continued though 2030 (his age 37 season), you could make a straight-faced argument for 12/$420 mm, though I’d still say that’s a significant overpay.    He certainly won’t get 12/$420 when he becomes a free agent.    Such a contract would cover his ages 28-39 seasons, and there’s just too many older years packed in there.