Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Fangraphs: Orioles’ Top 40

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just noticed that Fangraphs has Cadyn Grenier’s run tool graded at 70/70.     Did I miss something?     I don’t remember hearing before that his speed was noteworthy at all.   

 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Eric Longenhagen picked out Michael Baumann and Adam Hall as guys who Gogo’s crack next year’s top 100 if things click.   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to-click-who-i-expect-to-make-the-2021-top-100/

Grenier, Hall, and Gunnar, just point out how hard it is to find a SS prospect. Elias said recently something along the lines that a top SS prospect is the most important part of a farm system. I think he we take SS Austin Martin, Vanderbilt if he’s there with our 2nd pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

 

Grenier, Hall, and Gunnar, just point out how hard it is to find a SS prospect. Elias said recently something along the lines that a top SS prospect is the most important part of a farm system. I think he we take SS Austin Martin, Vanderbilt if he’s there with our 2nd pick. 

If he was that focused on it he could have gone Witt 1-1 last draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he was that focused on it he could have gone Witt 1-1 last draft.

That’s like saying you could have used your spare hour to mow the lawn, when you used your time to change your brake pads. If you have to do both, swapping the order you then in doesn’t solve the problem.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

 

Grenier, Hall, and Gunnar, just point out how hard it is to find a SS prospect. Elias said recently something along the lines that a top SS prospect is the most important part of a farm system. I think he we take SS Austin Martin, Vanderbilt if he’s there with our 2nd pick. 

I don’t recall the quote you are referring to, unless you are referring to this:

I got to Elias and said "I know baseball organizations are really large. But they all can't have everything. Is there one thing the O's organization doesn't have that you would like to have?" I thought that he would say some kind of physical training equipment, or some techie video device. He said "A good shortstop prospect."

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37368-os-caravan-turf-valley-and-mike-elias/&tab=comments#comment-2564495

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

 

Grenier, Hall, and Gunnar, just point out how hard it is to find a SS prospect. Elias said recently something along the lines that a top SS prospect is the most important part of a farm system. I think he we take SS Austin Martin, Vanderbilt if he’s there with our 2nd pick. 

Remember that Martin hasn't played short in college. It appears he's more than capable but he hasn't done it yet. This spring will tell a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m continuing to track Fangraphs’ grades given to each team’s prospects.     They are now up to 16 teams.    Using a system employed by Fangraphs last year to place a dollar value on each level of prospect (e.g., a 50 FV hitter has an excess value of $28 mm), the current excess value of the Orioles’ system is $206 mm, which places them 8th of 16 teams and just above the average of $202.75 mm.   Right now, of the 16 teams ranked, the Pirates are no. 1 at $282.5 mm, and the Red Sox are dead last at $105 mm.    The Yankees are at $250.5 mm with a whopping 54 prospects ranked at 35+ or higher.   The Rays and Blue Jays have not been graded yet.   Based on midseason grades from last year, the Rays figure to be at or near the top of the full 30-team list, while the Jays figure to be near the bottom.

When you look at the Yankees’ list, it’s really striking how it’s dominated by foreign players.    18 of their top 20, including their top 5, are foreign signees.

Edited by Frobby
Mistakenly said the Yankees were no. 1 at this point; it was actually the Pirates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs has now graded 20 teams, including the entire AL East.    By their valuation system from last year, we rank 10th out of 20 so far.     As I expected, Tampa is off-the-charts good.    They have 55 prospects ranked 35+ or higher, most of any team graded so far (we have 40, which is still above average).    The dollar value of their system by last year's method is $329 mm if you exclude Wander Franco.       And the reason I excluded him is Fangraphs graded him an 80, the first time they have done that, and so I don't know what an 80 is supposed to be worth.    Last year they valued a 70 grade batter (Vlad Jr.) at $112 mm, so Franco will be valued higher than that.

Toronto graded better than I expected, slightly behind us at $200.5 mm.   We are at $206 mm; the mean valuation for all 20 teams graded so far is $209 mm, excluding 1/20th of whatever Franco is worth.

So far the top teams by this methodology are:

TBR $329mm+ (55 prospects 35+ or better)

PIT $282.5 mm (42)

MIA $281.5 mm (41)

ARI $277.5 mm (47)

DET $260.5 mm (39)

NYY $250.5 mm (54)

ATL $250 mm (27)

SEA $237 mm (38)

MIN $228 mm (42)

BAL $206 mm (40)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has now graded 20 teams, including the entire AL East.    By their valuation system from last year, we rank 10th out of 20 so far.     As I expected, Tampa is off-the-charts good.    They have 55 prospects ranked 35+ or higher, most of any team graded so far (we have 40, which is still above average).    The dollar value of their system by last year's method is $329 mm if you exclude Wander Franco.       And the reason I excluded him is Fangraphs graded him an 80, the first time they have done that, and so I don't know what an 80 is supposed to be worth.    Last year they valued a 70 grade batter (Vlad Jr.) at $112 mm, so Franco will be valued higher than that.

Toronto graded better than I expected, slightly behind us at $200.5 mm.   We are at $206 mm; the mean valuation for all 20 teams graded so far is $209 mm, excluding 1/20th of whatever Franco is worth.

So far the top teams by this methodology are:

TBR $329mm+ (55 prospects 35+ or better)

PIT $282.5 mm (42)

MIA $281.5 mm (41)

ARI $277.5 mm (47)

DET $260.5 mm (39)

NYY $250.5 mm (54)

ATL $250 mm (27)

SEA $237 mm (38)

MIN $228 mm (42)

BAL $206 mm (40)

For lots of reasons, TB is an organization to follow.  My preference is the quality quantity of their depth.  It almost seems like they don’t have many organizational type players with little or no future, especially compared to other teams.  Everyone gives something, it’s very eye-opening. 
I don’t know about their system like I do the O’s but they seem to end up with serious and developing talent every single time I look.  
 

Also, we need Tork to get that ranking up rapidly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangraphs has now put up its own chart similar to the one I was keeping:   https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-prospect-list/summary?type=0&filter=&pos=&team=sfg&sort=-1,1

Their numbers vary slightly from mine and they have the Giants ahead of us, moving the Orioles down to 11th of the 20 teams they’ve graded.    They also show partial valuations of the 9 teams they haven’t graded, just based on the players those teams placed in their overall top 100 who are on those teams (each of whom was graded in that process).   Based on that, the Padres, Dodgers and White Sox are already ahead of us before the rest of their non-top 100 players have been graded.   You can’t tell if any other teams are likely to pass us.

By their model, our four players ranked 50 or higher are worth $138 mm, whereas the other 36 players that they graded at 35+ or higher are worth $69 mm.    Of the other teams that haven’t been fully graded, their grade 50 or higher players are worth less than ours, but some are close.    So, whether they pass us depends on how much depth Fangraphs thinks they have.

Oh yeah — they put a value on grade 80 Wander Franco — $180 mm.    He’s worth more than 7 teams’ entire farm systems all by himself, by this model.     No pressure though.     

Here’s an accompanying article:  https://blogs.fangraphs.com/in-progress-farm-system-rankings-are-now-on-the-board/


  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't exactly promising considering they picked 1-1 last year and recently had a talent sell-off.

It’s an upgrade over last year but isn’t going to wow anyone.     For me it comes down to this: it’s really hard to have an elite farm system unless you are getting your share of the international talent.    And that takes time to (1) ramp up to acquire, and (2) bubble up to the stateside teams where they can be evaluated for purposes of a list like this.    I figure it’ll be at least 5 years before our MiL teams from the top down include our fair share of players we signed internationally.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s an upgrade over last year but isn’t going to wow anyone.     For me it comes down to this: it’s really hard to have an elite farm system unless you are getting your share of the international talent.    And that takes time to (1) ramp up to acquire, and (2) bubble up to the stateside teams where they can be evaluated for purposes of a list like this.    I figure it’ll be at least 5 years before our MiL teams from the top down include our fair share of players we signed internationally.     

They added 1-1 and didn't promote anyone of note.  Would have been a disaster for them not to have improved at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is insane valuation for Wander. I know he is #1 prospect but is *anyone* that much of a sure thing to be that good? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They added 1-1 and didn't promote anyone of note.  Would have been a disaster for them not to have improved at all.

Well, sure.    At some point maybe I’ll look at their 2019 list in detail and see what changed.   On a quick look, last year we only had 32 players ranked 35+, this year we have 40.     Stewart and Martin graduated from last year’s list and Jackson was returned to his team.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, that is insane valuation for Wander. I know he is #1 prospect but is *anyone* that much of a sure thing to be that good? 

Maybe not, but if he’s as good as expected, he’ll be worth more than the $180 mm in surplus value.    So that’s factored in.   

I can’t wait to see that guy play — against other teams!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The comp is more to do with them having similar stances, slightly pull heavy swings, and profile than production. I googled Mookie Betts as a prospect and his scouting grades: Hit: 65 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 45 | Field: 55 https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-leads-bostons-updated-top-20-list/c-85946126 Here is Martin's scouting grades from the same place: HIT: 65 POWER: 50 RUN: 55 ARM: 50 FIELD: 55 https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/austin-martin-668885 Pretty similar profiles. Of course 95% of players with those scouting grades don't produce like Mookie Betts will.
    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970, the Orioles defeated the Indians 5-4.  Dick Hall was credited with the win for his 1/3 of an inning of work in relief of Jim Palmer: Hall got Ray Fosse to pop out to second to end the 7th inning.  The Birds scored three runs in the bottom of the 7th which led to Hall's victory. Palmer hit his first homerun of the season leading off the third inning.  Don Buford went 1 for 3 with 2 RBI as well. For the record, Pete Richert recorded the save for the Orioles. BOX SCORE
    • Just to clarify, he’s talking specifically about pitchers that have justified being picked.
    • No, but the salary cap makes things very wonky in the NBA and NHL. While the NFLs system really screws over the players. The only way I see the MLBPA giving into a salary cap is if they cut the years of control right in half.  Which would basically change strategy away from developing home grown talent. 
    • I'm over the moon if Tork is available at 2. I get the defensive and athletic upside is limited, but that is such a special bat. .285 and 30 HR annually? Absolutely. Realistically, I wouldn't be upset with either Martin or Lacy at 2. Martin might not project the upside as a traditional 1-2, but there is something to be said for his tools across the board. Pitchers this high make me nervous as well, but a Rodriguez-Lacy-Hall top of the rotation sounds formidable, health permitting. 
    • So, former GM Jim Bowden is now writing for the Atlantic.  According to his research, there were 42 players taken among the 80 players selected in the first five picks of the 16 MLB drafts between 2000 and 2015 and only five of the 42 have justified the selection - Verlander, Price, Strausburg, Cole and Bauer.  Two of those pitchers, Verlander and Strausburg, were "no-brainer" decisions.  It is a hit rate far below WC's opening post.
    • Just keep chucking talent into the firebox and hope that coaching, video, personality tests, wearable tech, organizational philosophy, and the mysteries of the universe  squirt out some rare nuggets at a reasonable pace.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...