Philip

“Would it were Day!”

A scene in Kenneth Branach’s version of Shakespeare’s “Henry V” In the French Camp, the night before the battle of Agincourt.

The French nobility are basically talking about how they're going to win and collect honor and glory and trophies and plunder and blah blah blah. They are as excited as a kid is hours before Christmas Dawn

And one of them looks outside and says, softly,” Would it were day!”

As everybody knows, the battle turns out to be a complete disaster for the French, and in the aftermath, This same character mumbles, “shame. Shame. Everlasting shame.”

I think about that scene, which is a magnificent scene, every year in the final few days before the start of spring training, and then before the start of the season.

”Would it were DAY.”

And with any luck at all, this year will pass without his post battle lament.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

Right now it’s a bit too chilly and the only people at the complex are a few coaches and concessions staff.  You’re not missing anything as of today.  Whenever things change I’ll be the first to know and post. 

See you Tuesday. 

Remember the Peanuts cartoon where Charlie Brown is on the pitching mound in the middle of winter and Lucy interrupts his reverie?

”and four fingers means a snowball!!!”

And then she walks off laughing and Charlie Brown just Sighs.

So tonight drink a toast to all the Charlie Browns of the world!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

Right now it’s a bit too chilly and the only people at the complex are a few coaches and concessions staff.  You’re not missing anything as of today.  Whenever things change I’ll be the first to know and post. 

It was 71 today and will be 79 tomorrow.  Not sure what you consider chilly. 

3 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

We all have our boundaries!  My blood has thinned and I like the hot.  Last few mornings I’ve seen my breath at 7 am. Tuesday it was 49 at night.  When all that’s gone, I’ll consider it less chilly and more baseball-ish.  Hopefully starting Tuesday it’ll be 82 and sunny everyday with low wind until at least October....

Was in the upper 30's in Sumter county this morning.

28 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

We all have our boundaries!  My blood has thinned and I like the hot.  Last few mornings I’ve seen my breath at 7 am. Tuesday it was 49 at night.  When all that’s gone, I’ll consider it less chilly and more baseball-ish.  Hopefully starting Tuesday it’ll be 82 and sunny everyday with low wind until at least October....

Two weeks ago, I was in Miami, where a lot of fellow regulars at Duffy's Tavern on Red Rd. appreciate my Orioles cap because the Os used to spring-train there. When it dropped to 42 degrees and windy in the middle of the night, I moved from the unheated, thin-walled RV (1986 Mallard Sprinter) onto a couch in the house. Made me realize for the first time how much even concrete block can act as insulation, although a lot of fiberglass in the attic was probably the actual difference.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, Philip said:

A scene in Kenneth Branach’s version of Shakespeare’s “Henry V” In the French Camp, the night before the battle of Agincourt.

The French nobility are basically talking about how they're going to win and collect honor and glory and trophies and plunder and blah blah blah. They are as excited as a kid is hours before Christmas Dawn

And one of them looks outside and says, softly,” Would it were day!”

As everybody knows, the battle turns out to be a complete disaster for the French, and in the aftermath, This same character mumbles, “shame. Shame. Everlasting shame.”

I think about that scene, which is a magnificent scene, every year in the final few days before the start of spring training, and then before the start of the season.

”Would it were DAY.”

And with any luck at all, this year will pass without his post battle lament.

I expected you to suggest that the French nobility were like the YANKEES, eager for their glorious Cole-fired campaign to commence--because wholly unaware of the humiliation to be dealt them by an intrepid Baltimore battalion.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sumter county is in Florida.  Not far away either.

Just looked up the exact location.    I have a friend who is moving just north of there Summerfield).    I’ll tell him to pack his parka!