Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

O's hope to lose 5 of their top 30 prospects by July

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Pickles said:

First, yeah, I am a jerk.  Frobby basically said the same thing I did, but he's far more diplomatic than I.  

Second, nobody disagrees with what you just said.  I mean, that's basically like saying it rains more often when the sky isn't blue but gray.  Yeah, no kidding.

Thirdly, I'll reiterate my point: It's just silly to me to focus on the effect on the MiL ranking when discussing a prospect call-up, rather the the actual performance of the prospect.  The OP is hardly alone in this regard, and I just find it tiring.

An imperfect analogy might be when your favorite band releases a new album, and the discussion revolves around the new albums ability to get them to the RnR HOF, rather than, you know, the quality of music on the new album.  It's just kind of..... dumb.  (There's the jerk in me again.)

Yet Elias seems to value having a minor league system that is ranked high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yet Elias seems to value having a minor league system that is ranked high.

No, Elias, and every other baseball man worth his salt, values having good prospects.

They're not concerned with minutely analyzing their minor league ranking after every transaction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pickles said:

First, yeah, I am a jerk.  Frobby basically said the same thing I did, but he's far more diplomatic than I.  

Second, nobody disagrees with what you just said.  I mean, that's basically like saying it rains more often when the sky isn't blue but gray.  Yeah, no kidding.

Thirdly, I'll reiterate my point: It's just silly to me to focus on the effect on the MiL ranking when discussing a prospect call-up, rather the the actual performance of the prospect.  The OP is hardly alone in this regard, and I just find it tiring.

An imperfect analogy might be when your favorite band releases a new album, and the discussion revolves around the new albums ability to get them to the RnR HOF, rather than, you know, the quality of music on the new album.  It's just kind of..... dumb.  (There's the jerk in me again.)

I don't think anyone is worried about the MIL ranking over actual performance at the major league level. The OP and many others are discussing the depth of the farm system when they talk about what the Mil ranking will look like. You are looking at this combatively vs looking at this for the discussing at hand. There is not one single person on this board that just wants a top farm system ranking just for the "prestige" but rather because it bodes well for the future.

If your concern is over the rankings overall, well those are done to give a little perspective by outside sources. I would agree with you that it doesn't mean a ton either way if prospects perform well at the major league level. The rankings are a guide and a potential indicator, not a guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No, Elias, and every other baseball man worth his salt, values having good prospects.

They're not concerned with minutely analyzing their minor league ranking after every transaction.

 

That is twisting the conversation.   From what I have heard Elias say he does care about his minor league rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

That is twisting the conversation.   From what I have heard Elias say he does care about his minor league rankings.

Well he cares where they believe their farm system rank within their own evaluations. I doubt they are worried where fangraphs ranked them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

That is twisting the conversation.   From what I have heard Elias say he does care about his minor league rankings.

Of course he cares about having good farm system, but just because we graduate 3-4 top 100 prospects, and our system ranking then drops, doesn't mean that is a bad thing.  

The players have to graduate eventually.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 9:25 AM, wildcard said:

No, not to trade. To graduation.  The O's hope that MLB rated #4 Mountcastle, #6 Hays, #11 Akin, # 15 Harvey and #21 Bailey all graduate to the majors in the next few months.   The will add two or three prospects from the amateur draft.  How will this effect the O's overall rating for the farm system?

 

Things like this are the main thing that I'm interested in (and hoping for) this season.  It'll be good to see some of these guys break into the majors and (hopefully) establish themselves.  With hopefully more to come in 2021 and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a post in another thread that didn’t get any response this weekend, but it seems like right now the talent in our system is a bit better than average but not outstanding at this point.   
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Technically correct.   We had six picks in the top 44 and only three made the majors, two for a cup of coffee.    Only Larry Bigbie (2.5 rWAR in 392 games) had any substantial career.   However, Brian Roberts was drafted no. 50 overall that year and had a 30 WAR career.   We also got Erik Bedard (17.3 rWAR) in the 6th round that year.

Fair, that was a really weird draft in that almost none of the players from pick 12 where we started until 44 were that great so there were not a lot of “wish we would have drafted X” at least not in that area of the draft.  However Roberts, Carl Crawford, Lackey in the second. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well he cares where they believe their farm system rank within their own evaluations. I doubt they are worried where fangraphs ranked them.

I heard that they hired Luke, in part, to improve in OH rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an academic hypothetical for playing around with is next year's farm better or worse?

If the Royals offered Bobby Witt for the five guys in the OP, how many backflips would you do? 

Barring an immediate rousing player development success (Stowers looking like Baby Bellinger, Gunnar laying Chipper waste to Delmarva), pick 1-2 backfilling 2020's graduates (and injuries on the downside) probably will drive most of the delta between this year and next year's rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's an academic hypothetical for playing around with is next year's farm better or worse?

If the Royals offered Bobby Witt for the five guys in the OP, how many backflips would you do? 

Barring an immediate rousing player development success (Stowers looking like Baby Bellinger, Gunnar laying Chipper waste to Delmarva), pick 1-2 backfilling 2020's graduates (and injuries on the downside) probably will drive most of the delta between this year and next year's rankings.

I'd do zero backflips.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I heard that they hired Luke, in part, to improve in OH rankings.

They stole my top prospect! :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I got curious what Kjerstad was majoring in at U. of Arkansas.   It’s Recreation and Sports Management.   https://catalog.uark.edu/undergraduatecatalog/collegesandschools/collegeofeducationandhealthprofessions/recreationandsportmanagementresm/
    • No way this was just about finishing his degree.  They wouldn’t have couched that as personal reasons.  From the quote it seems there was something else and the interviewee was saying at least he got to finish his degree. 
    • I agree..just saying, who the hell knows.  
    • The .377 was a fluke.  But he did also hit .344 in the AFL that Fall, too.   Do I think he’s a potential .300+ hitter as a major leaguer?   Not at all.    But a guy who can play a solid major league CF doesn’t have to hit a ton to be a useful player.    His career MiL line of .264/.350/.387 would do the trick just fine if he could pull that off in the majors.    
    • I don’t think so.    I have a college degree and a law degree.    My wife has a college degree and two masters’ degrees.   All three of my kids have college degrees, from pricey private colleges that we paid for in full.   One of them has a graduate degree as well.    I totally understand the value of a good education (which is different than “intelligence”). But Kjerstad is a guy who chose to enter the draft before he’d finished college and take a pile of money to play professional athletics.    In my mind (and probably by contract), he’s obligated to give his employer priority over completing his degree, which plenty of players do without declining their professional obligations.    Now understand, I don’t think Kjerstad did this.   I believe he was unable to participate for medical reasons and decided to use the time to continue his education, which is great.    But I wouldn’t agree with it if he had simply chosen to blow off Fall Instructs to take classes.      
    • So now the goalpost is if makes an impact on his major league career the next season?  That's quite a jump.  I will say that one year of age when a player is making his MLB debut can hugely impact his future earnings. No one in this thread is suggesting that he shouldn't finish his degree at some point.  Also intelligence and education aren't the same thing.    Of course odds are very good that the speculation of him not being able to attend the camp and instead using his time to work on his degree is correct.
    • Yes, a player COULD benefit from the instruction league, even though its a fact that no one has ever benefited enough to be a starter on the major league level the following year, AND he COULD also be in an auto accident and not be able to play any sports. How much is the Instruction League going to help him then.  The topic of this thread is about the player, but the real discussion is about each Poster's value system . . . intelligence or athletics!
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...