Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

O's hope to lose 5 of their top 30 prospects by July

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

They stole my top prospect! :D

Stole?   I thought he was traded for a crab cake lunch with Elias.     

I’ll admit, there have been a number of times in the last month when I’ve wished Luke was still here chiming in on things.   But then I just tell myself, now he’s chiming in on things with an audience that can actually do something with that information.

It would be really cool if at some point towards the end of the season we could get Luke to give us some insights into what the job has been like.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's an academic hypothetical for playing around with is next year's farm better or worse?

If the Royals offered Bobby Witt for the five guys in the OP, how many backflips would you do? 

Barring an immediate rousing player development success (Stowers looking like Baby Bellinger, Gunnar laying Chipper waste to Delmarva), pick 1-2 backfilling 2020's graduates (and injuries on the downside) probably will drive most of the delta between this year and next year's rankings.

I don't know if I'd trade all five for Witt. Witt had questions about his bat and although you can't take too much away from rookie league numbers, his lack of great success there didn't clear any of that up. 

Mountcastle and Hays alone have a lot of value to me and are much closer to the big leagues with Hays already having success there last September. 

There are players like Henderson, Hernaiz, Stowers, Rom and Watson that could take jumps next year and fill some of those gaps, even before considering next year's draft. Rodriguez and Hall should both still be top 100 prospects along with Rutschman and with the Orioles drafting #2 overall, you can expect a top 100 prospects being drafted as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Stole?   I thought he was traded for a crab cake lunch with Elias.     

I’ll admit, there have been a number of times in the last month when I’ve wished Luke was still here chiming in on things.   But then I just tell myself, now he’s chiming in on things with an audience that can actually do something with that information.

It would be really cool if at some point towards the end of the season we could get Luke to give us some insights into what the job has been like.    

 

Until I get that he was stolen! :D

We'll see what Luke can talk about after he gets a season under his belt. I'm pretty sure he's NDA'd in pretty good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was about to lose his rookie status anyway.

And he was old for his level.

Yeah, but those top 100 prospects are hard to come by!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Until I get that he was stolen! :D

We'll see what Luke can talk about after he gets a season under his belt. I'm pretty sure he's NDA'd in pretty good though.

Oh, I’d expect so!     But it might be smart PR for the O’s to let an alumnus of the top website following the team toss a few generalities our way, once he’s got a season under his belt.    

PS - I looked at Luke’s profile page to see if he’d visited the site since taking his new gig.    He was on here two hours ago!   Old habits die hard.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I’d expect so!     But it might be smart PR for the O’s to let an alumnus of the top website following the team toss a few generalities our way, once he’s got a season under his belt.    

PS - I looked at Luke’s profile page to see if he’d visited the site since taking his new gig.    He was on here two hours ago!   Old habits die hard.
 

So when we post ideas Luke is listening.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So when we post ideas Luke is snickering

Fixed that for you!

But in all fairness, Luke never condescended to anyone here, even when it was obvious that he knew much more than almost all of us about player evaluation (Tony and maybe a few posters excepted).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fixed that for you!

But in all fairness, Luke never condescended to anyone here, even when it was obvious that he knew much more than almost all of us about player evaluation (Tony and maybe a few posters excepted).

Snickering?  Are you saying that Luke is Betty White?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Ok. I'll walk away and apologize. I'm sorry if I misunderstood the OP.

Everyone is here to talk about the Os, our past, current issues, and our future.  We are all Os fans and most everyone here would enjoy an engaging discussion.

Generally, yes, everyone wants a good farm system and everyone is more concerned that the prospects actually pan out then the ranking of our system.  Without sounding too parental or cliché-bound, I would say that if you don't like a thread, then either don't participate or try to turn the discussion into one that you find interesting. 

I interpret the OP as capable of starting related, but different potential dialogues that we are likely losing a lot of valued (top 10-15) prospects to graduation this year and whether we can replenish those prospects (in quantity and quality) in the next year (through the draft, internationally and via trade).  Will our system be better next season compared to the one entering this season?  And will our relative ranking compared other franchises be higher, the same or lower?  I think those are interesting discussions (related to the Fangraphs thread that Frobby brings up) as well as a recent thread that discussed when the relative ranking of our farm system will peak in the years ahead due mostly to the graduation of DL Hall, GrayRod and AR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoosiers said:

Everyone is here to talk about the Os, our past, current issues, and our future.  We are all Os fans and most everyone here would enjoy an engaging discussion.

Generally, yes, everyone wants a good farm system and everyone is more concerned that the prospects actually pan out then the ranking of our system.  Without sounding too parental or cliché-bound, I would say that if you don't like a thread, then either don't participate or try to turn the discussion into one that you find interesting. 

I interpret the OP as capable of starting related, but different potential dialogues that we are likely losing a lot of valued (top 10-15) prospects to graduation this year and whether we can replenish those prospects (in quantity and quality) in the next year (through the draft, internationally and via trade).  Will our system be better next season compared to the one entering this season?  And will our relative ranking compared other franchises be higher, the same or lower?  I think those are interesting discussions (related to the Fangraphs thread that Frobby brings up) as well as a recent thread that discussed when the relative ranking of our farm system will peak in the years ahead due mostly to the graduation of DL Hall, GrayRod and AR.

It should peak next offseason with the above names and the 1-2 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Philip said:

A farm is a bank. Prospects are assets. We spend them wisely, we will have a nice house.

As long as it is not J.R house, that house was not so nice when we had it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I’d expect so!     But it might be smart PR for the O’s to let an alumnus of the top website following the team toss a few generalities our way, once he’s got a season under his belt.    

PS - I looked at Luke’s profile page to see if he’d visited the site since taking his new gig.    He was on here two hours ago!   Old habits die hard.
 

Isn’t it normal for a guy to go visit the old digs once he gets famous? Yes, Luke is too good for us now,  but I’m sure every now and then he likes to drive through the old neighborhood and say to himself, “God I’m glad I left those days behind.“

 Maybe he will grace us with an autograph session now and then.

:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

We'll see what Luke can talk about after he gets a season under his belt. I'm pretty sure he's NDA'd in pretty good though.

I hope he has an opt-out clause (to talk briefly) in the event of us choosing Nick Gonzales, who I think he had in Tier A despite some consensus elsewhere he's the fourth banana.  I'll be watching Friday to see if he's playing SS now that Ortiz is a pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, wildcard said:

Yet Elias seems to value having a minor league system that is ranked high.

I think this quote sums it up well:

The Orioles now own a No. 9 Baseball America organizational ranking, up from No. 22. The club has had two of its young international players ranked by Baseball America among the top 100 international signings since July 2, 2019.

Elias notes these rankings and feels it’s a positive for the Orioles.

“It’s not everything, but certainly it’s a barometer,” he said. “There are now multiple, credible organizations that rank farm systems and have prospect lists. When you look across four or five of them it starts to paint a picture. It doesn’t mean they will be right or wrong about everything. But with our farm system going from a consensus bottom 10 last year, in 2018, and now at this time being a consensus sort of nine to 14, I think there is something there. The fact that all the different rankings reflect that. But we’ve got to continue to keep working. It’s not the end-all, be-all. At the end of the day it’s about individual players getting up and filling spots on the team. And coming up with 25 guys that can make the playoffs for you. But on the whole, I think farm-system rankings are something we have to keep our eye on and be realistic about as we are going through a rebuilding process.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/02/elias-on-hyde-mancini-on-leaderhip-ruiz-on-his-second-half.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • You are saying your position is fact! Based on what? Nothing that even hints of anything beyond your opinion. The fact that you’ve convinced yourself that it’s the truth is what’s truly troubling to me. 
    • We often debate how frequently teams defer a player’s debut in order to manipulate service time.    I decided to drill down on 2013 to see if I could see how many players were gamed or not, and what kind of difference it made, if any.   Why 2013?     Because it’s the most recent year in which anyone who debuted that year who has played straight through has reached free agent eligibility and the signing period was completed.   (The 2014 class has graduated but many FA’s from that class remain unsigned.) A few basics: 230 major leaguers debuted in 2013, a fairly typical number in recent years.    Of those, 160 weren’t on a major league roster in 2020.   34 debuted in 2013 but never played in a game after that year; 29 were done in 2014; 23 in 2015; 23 in 2016; 19 in 2017; 11 in 2018; and 21 in 2019.   The number for 2019 is probably a bit aberrant, relating to the pandemic, contract issues, etc. – I wouldn’t assume all of those 21 players are done.    But in any event, you get the idea.    For the majority of players, an extra year of service time before free agency is irrelevant; they’re gone from the game before 6 calendar years have elapsed.   Then there’s the question of who is worth gaming, even if they survive 6+ years in the majors.    From the 2013 class, through 2020 nine player have been worth 20+ rWAR, 8 have been worth 15-19.9 rWAR, 15 have been worth 10-14.9 rWAR and 18 have been worth 5-9.9 rWAR.     That’s a total of 50 players worth 5+ rWAR – draw your own line as to where having an extra year of service might be worthwhile.   I looked at all 50 of these players to see if their service time had been gamed.  Needless to say, there could be players under 5 rWAR who were considered studs as prospects and had their service time gamed, but who never panned out as major players due to injury, poor performance or whatever.    But my time isn’t infinite, so I didn’t look for those. Of the 50, I count 22 cases worthy of investigation to determine if service time was manipulated.   They all were called up between April 11, 2013 and June 30, 2013.    The ones called up before April 11 would have accrued a full year of service time if they played all of 2013.    The ones called up after June 30 were well beyond any possible deadline for who would have qualified as a Super Two, which is another reason for service time manipulation.    The exact Super-2 deadline is never known as the year is being played.    It so happens that by the end of 2015, it was determined that any player with 2.130 years of service would be a Super Two.    And that means that players who debuted before May 24, 2013, and stayed major leaguers full time thereafter, qualified for arbitration as Super Twos after the 2015 season.   But the cutoff could have been as early as May 8, or as late as June 8, based on experience in other years.    So, I used June 30 as a very safe date to assume no service time manipulation was involved in the player’s call-up date. The 22 players break down this way:  Eight players were called up between April 11 and May 7; gaining an extra year of service may have been a motivation for these eight, but Super Two considerations clearly were ignored.    Eight players were called up between May 8 and June 3; teams may have been rolling the dice on Super Two status with these players, since they were in the window where the cutoff date usually falls.   Six players were called up between June 11 and June 30; teams undoubtedly were confident by then that the Super Two cutoff had passed, and may have been waiting just long enough. I am going to drill down on these 22 players, but not in this post, which has gotten long enough.   Details will be forthcoming.    For what it’s worth, of the other 28 players, nine debuted before April 11 (and would have earned a full year of service time if they spent the rest of the year in the majors), four debuted in July, six debuted in August, and nine debuted in September.  
    • It could be... Actually, nah.  No way.  It must be the worst possible scenario because Angelos.
    • Get well soon, Weams!
    • Was this simply just an effort by Elias to stretch the 2021 payroll to sign a FA SS or starter he has in mind? I just cannot think that Elias would sign Sanchez and Valaika for nearly $2 million combined if money was THAT tight. 
    • Wasn't what I meant. Men can also be the victim.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...