SteveA

2020 Spring Training Tracker

Updated for the Tampa game, a player not feeling well, Harvey's debut, and a pitching change for tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Updated for Nats game.   I think I'm healthy enough to go back to work tomorrow so don't expect such detailed updates for the next two day games!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, SteveA said:

Updated for Nats game.   I think I'm healthy enough to go back to work tomorrow so don't expect such detailed updates for the next two day games!

Steve, you have done yeoman duty so far, everyone is grateful.

• Upvote 2

Really, really good work here.  I love the level of detail and the regular updates.  Please keep it up!

I just had a couple of minor questions.  Could you please recheck the options remaining for Andrew Velazquez and Paul Fry?  You have them both down as having three options remaining.  It looks like Velazquez was optioned on 3/10/2019 and didn't come back up until 4/21/2019.  He was again option on 5/30 last year until 7/3.  Shouldn't those count as one option used for 2019? 

Similarly, Paul Fry was optioned by the Orioles on 4/26/2017, he was then outrighted but not until 6/4 of that year.  He finally had his contract purchased on 6/29/2018.  I think that counts as one option used for Fry.  

Again, overall, awesome work!

1 hour ago, Oldorioles said:

Really, really good work here.  I love the level of detail and the regular updates.  Please keep it up!

I just had a couple of minor questions.  Could you please recheck the options remaining for Andrew Velazquez and Paul Fry?  You have the, both down as having three options remaining.  It looks like Velazquez was optioned on 3/10/2019 and didn't come back up until 4/21/2019.  He was again option on 5/30 last year until 7/3.  Shouldn't those count as one option used for 2018? 

Similarly, Paul Fry was optioned by the Orioles on 4/26/2017, he was then outrighted but not until 6/4 of that year.  He finally had his contract purchased on 6/29/2018.  I think that counts as one option used for Fry.  

I'm at work now, I'll check those tonight, as well as update for Sunday's game and the Velazquez signing.   Thakns for pointing them out.

9 hours ago, Oldorioles said:

I just had a couple of minor questions.  Could you please recheck the options remaining for Andrew Velazquez and Paul Fry?  You have them both down as having three options remaining.  It looks like Velazquez was optioned on 3/10/2019 and didn't come back up until 4/21/2019.  He was again option on 5/30 last year until 7/3.  Shouldn't those count as one option used for 2019? 

Well according to this site

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-baltimore-orioles

Paul Fry has 2 options left, so we were both wrong (I said 3 and you said 1).

And Andrew Velazquez has 3 left, so I had that correct according to the site.

And newcomer has Hector Velazquez has 1.

I'm updating the site to reflect the info above.   Obviously you info doesn't agree on two of them but I don't know what to tell you.   At any rate, for 2020 purposes, all 3 can be sent to the minors.

• Upvote 1

Updated with the Akin option, some results from Tuesdays game, and shamelessly stole some quotes about players from Kubatko, Trezza, and Eric-OH.

• Upvote 1

I will get this page updated for the resumption of "spring trainign" by sometime late this evening.

• Upvote 1

I have updated the first post in this topic to reflect the current status of the roster.   Below is a summary of the differences between the camp roster (i.e. 60 man player pool) now and what the spring training roster looked like when camp was halted in March:

Trey Mancini has been placed on the 60 day DL so he no longer counts against the 40 man roster and is not in the 60 man player pool.

So far the Orioles have announced 44 players who are in the 2020 60 man player pool.  So 16 more players can be added.

Currently there are 38 players on the 40 man roster.   31 of them are in the 60 man player pool.   6 who are not are guys who were optioned to the minors and sent to minor league camp before camp was suspended in March:  Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, Ryan McKenna, Ryan Mountcastle, Cedric Mullins, Ramon Urias.  The other 40 man roster player who is not on the 60 man list is Evan Phillips, who was still officially in camp with the O's in March when sptring training was halted, but had not pitched due to injury.   

Conversely, there is one player on the 40 man roster HAD been optioned to the minors and reassigned to minor league camp in March, but he isnow back with the big league team on the 2020 player pool list issued today:  David Hess

There is one player who was never in camp with the the Orioles this spring, but IS on the 60 man player pool:  35 year old reliever Cesar Valdez.   Valdez spent all spring in minor league camp, though he did appear in 5 innings for the Orioles as a "loaner player".

The following players were non roster players who were still in camp with the Orioles when camp was halted, but as of yet they are NOT on the 60 man player pool:  Taylor Davis, Jose Rondon,  Richard Urena,.Yusniel Diaz, Mason Williams, Bruce Zimmerman 

• Upvote 3

Initial post in the thread has been updated.  An addition to the 60 man player pool, health updates on a couple guys.

@SteveA I missed this thread in the spring for various reasons (was in London until March 14th, made it back home by the skin of our teeth).   But this is really well done, thanks, looks like a lot of effort.

I was wondering who the 45th man was, then saw the post under Evan Phillips showing he was the one. 

Really awesome that Hess and some others got together to play simulated games.   Wonder how many players did that and if some players will be way ahead of others in this quick "spring" training. 

• Upvote 1